where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Feather-Plucking =(

Jazzy-Jazz & Tango, too! Hatching ConureMama's Avatar
    Name
    Laurie
    Thanks

Feather-Plucking =(

** Note: I put this in the "Other parrots section, too! I'm trying to get as much advise is possible, so please excuse my double-posting!! ** ~Thanks!
    My bird has issues! (Am I alone in this!?) I think I need to start a series of threads to deal with them all!! We've had Jasper for a month now and there are things that he does that we can't seem to figure out!! Most importantly, through your help, I've come to determine that Jasper is definitely plucking some of his feathers. I don't think it's a terrible problem right now, but I'm trying to be as pro-active as possible before it gets any worse.

For those of you who don't know, Jasper is a 7-year old Nanday conure that we got a month ago from a pet shop. They seemed very knowledgeable at the shop, and we trusted them, but it seems like Jasper's feather-plucking problem probably started before we got him, and they tried to pass it off as molting. (We didn't know any better)! In the past month it hasn't gotten worse, but it doesn't seem to have gotten better, either.

Right now he doesn't have regular feathers on his chest, but just his downy feathers that cover it, and he doesn't seem to be plucking at that. (If you see the pic below in my signature, you can see a few on his chest- those were growing in the first week or two, but those are all gone now!!) The one area of concern, though, is on the tops of his wings (again, the "shoulder" area- I know I'm not very PC with the bird anatomy terms). There is a small area on both wings that is almost completely bald, and we have been noticing him picking at it a lot as we've become more aware.

I've read the section about feather pluckers on the board, and I've been trying new toys (most of which he's scared of), and leaving the radio on when he's alone during the day (which is usually 8+ hours because my fiance and I both work full time).

My question, then, is whether anyone has any other specific advise for me. Is it just a matter of waiting for him to settle into his new home? Is it because he's alone so much during the day (and if that IS the case, then what? Do I give him up? ~sniffle, but I DO want what's best for him!!) I am a teacher, and in a month I'll have much more time during the day to spend with him, but in September I'll be back to full time, of course....

Any advise is much appreciated. Thanks,
    ~Laurie, Jasper, & Tango

Name
    Brock
    Thanks

Re: Feather-Plucking =(

Has Jasper been to the vet recently? Medical problems can cause plucking. Sometimes changing their diet can help. There's a Plucker's Diet and lots of helpful information at the FeedingFeathers yahoo group. I linked below, and also to another article that may help.

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FeedingFeathers/
    http://www.prettybirds.net/Featherdestruction.htm
    .~Brock~.

Name
    Brock
    Thanks

Re: Feather-Plucking =(

.~Brock~.

Remove Ads