Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you convince your parents?

Name
    elysse
    Thanks

Question How do you convince your parents?

I just finished talking to my parents about getting Kiwi, the Alexandrine. They think that I'm going to spend too much money. They're also worried that she won't be the right bird for me. I've gotten everything set up, all I need to do now is get her. It's so frustrating!! Anyways, does anyone have any suggestions?

The ferretlady Teenager wolfysluv's Avatar
    Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Re: How do you convince your parents?

well, exactly "why" do they think that Kiwi might not be the "right" bird for you. And what would constitute the "right" bird for them. I mean, they might have really good points . Or they might be hung up on some common things that can be helped.

How much is Kiwi?

Queen of the World Chick baaaad_kitty's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Thanks

yes, like wolfy said, what are your parents' concerns? i was able to get them (well, my dad actually) to buy me Taco the sun conure because they have seen me take care of birds and the fact that my dad just loves animals, to the point that we're overcrowding
    Help my eggs hatch! Click them!
    Visit my Scroll HERE Help them hatch!

Name
    elysse
    Thanks

Kiwi is $500 for her, her cage, her toys, and a stand. I've had bad experience with second hand pets. They're worried that I won't get the cuddle factor like I was told last time. They're also worried that i don't realize how big of a commitment this is, which I do. They're also worried about me spending too much money, especially since I'll be going to University in two years.

Name
    Sally
    Thanks

I am in my 40's now. My parents would never have bought a bird for that much money back when I was younger. We had budgie's and a precious little dog. That was fantastic. Sometimes parents have to save thier money. I can understand their point. When kids grow up, they can get other things and pets they want. Pets, vets etc. can cost a lot.

Parents often get left with pets from the kids when they go to college also.

Name
    elysse
    Thanks

but id be going to university in town, so they wouldn't be left with her. Plus I've saved up twice the amount I'd need for her. Any suggestions to help them realize she's right for me?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    bryce
    Thanks

just be persistant, keep up on it and let them know you really know what your doing. now im 18 and will be going to college in fall, but i got my own place just so i could bring my animals, a dorm wont let you have a bird, and even if they did, pets get stolen in dorms.

my mom really doesnt like having pets, and i have a senegal, a cockatiel and a savanah monitor which will get over 4 feet in a year. all of which i bought myself. persistance works. (and if all else fails you can do what i did with the monitor, get it and bring it home and say "suprise mom")

come to think of it, i never really asked for any of them, haha.
    Bryce
    -senegal
    -cockatiel (great talker i rescued from my yard)
    -savannah monitor

Name
    elysse
    Thanks

I like the "surprise!" strategy, Unfortunatly, she's 2 and a half hours away. I'm 18 as well, so I'll be staying an extra year in highschool, and going to university in town, so I'll probably live at home, or in my own place. I've been trying to convince them since Oct/Nov pf last year.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

I'm going to partly tackle this from a parents view point. I have 3 boys younger then yourself. The oldest is 12. We're looking at letting him have an Alexandrine towards Christmas. He has however demonstrated to me that he's enthusiastic, willing to help out and wants to learn. He's also got a rainbow lorikeet who chose him more then the other way round who he does look after (with the odd reminder). My second son who is 8 threw a tantrum when we got Barney the green quaker because I informed him that no it wasn't his bird. Reason, he didn't take responsibilty with the budgie we got him so why would I let him have a quaker at this stage. The budgie has now joined my little flock.
    I'd think at 18 you would have demonstarted responsibility and commitment. You said the money for the Alex is what you've saved. Point this out to your parents, also maybe look at an account for vet expenses to show that they won't have to put their hands in their pockets. Lastly politely inform them that as it is your savings if you do make a financial error then it is your problem and you don't expect them to pick up the pieces. I had my galah when I started a Uni and he really got me through some tough times, and ripped up the odd assignment.

Name
    elysse
    Thanks

Thanks for the great advice Mary! I'm about to get a new job, so as soon as that's set up I'll get the other acount.

All Hail Hypnotoad Teenager ZoologyGirl's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Thanks

My mother wouldn't even let me get a budgie when I lived with her.

I didn't get a bird until 4 years after I moved out

~Heather~
    "If they give you ruled paper, write the other way." - Juan Ramón Jiménez

Brand New Egg
    Name
    bryce
    Thanks

mary had some really good advice on what to say.
    Bryce
    -senegal
    -cockatiel (great talker i rescued from my yard)
    -savannah monitor

Name
    elysse
    Thanks

Thanks a bunch Mary. My mum really liked the idea of me setting up another account.

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

I got my first bird when I was 16. I had been working at the pet store I got her from for about 5 months. I had saved up the money and since my family had no experience with birds previously, they had no idea what to expect. By that time too, I had owned rats, a rabbit, reptiles, fish, cats, dogs..(am I missing anything? lol). I brought her home and everyone was thrilled with how much fun a bird was (and how nice she is). After that, I brought home a Lovebird and after that I brought home a friend for the Lovebird. I went to college after that (leaving the pets there for a semester) but decided to move into my own place so I could have my pets with me up here. Now, 4 years after I moved out for good, I have an average of 10 birds at one time (I breed so the numbers always change) and my parents are happy to have allowed me the oppurtunity to expand my knowledge and friendship by getting my Senegal.

I don't know if this story helps you or not, but I thought it would be nice to show my experience with convincing parents.
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

No problems Elysee. Glad to help.
    I was forunate that my parents encouraged me with my birds and because my Dad also had an interest it helped. It's why I'm happy to let my own kids go with things as long as they prove responsibility first.