Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Unhappy Im getting frusterated :(

Ok,
    Im having issues with Squeakers.....

First of all,
    I found out that he was 55 grams of weight, and he is really healthly....But this isnt my problem...

I've had Squeakers for two months now, or three.... I found out that he is either 8 months old to 2 years... But that still isnt my problem....

Squeakers loves to bite!!!

I just dont get him sometimes! Its like, hes on my shoulder, but then he bites my neck! And he doesnt stop! It hurts too! And then I tried the earthquake thingy, but he stops for two seconds and does it again!
    And I cant get rid of him, thats the furthest thing from my mind.... As much as he bugs me and bites me, I wont let anyone even hint about giving him away!

Its just that,
    I read that lovebirds can be nippy, but its even when hes on my finger! Or if hes on my shoulder and I move my hand near him, He bites it! Its like hes saying "Get that abomination away from me!" And It is really hard to get him off of my shoulder or shirt or anything! He wont sit on my finger long enough to even pet him either....

I love that little guy so much, but its like You dont see me biting him do you? But he bites me continuosly....

Im sorry, dont get me wrong, I love him... Im not going to hurt him or give him away.... Im just a little frusturated....

Any hellp, hints, or advice is greatly appreciated....
    I think I've tried just about everything, I just need help, thats all....

Thanks again,
    Emily

Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Re: Im getting frusterated :(

Is Squeakers play-biting you or is he aggressive?

If lovies get aggressive I just grab them and flip them on their back for a couple seconds.

As for nippy playbites... I don't really know what to say. When Pancake bites my neck I just shake my shoulders and head and she stops. She'll do it again but I just never let her get a grip. Sometimes she'll nip my fingers too and I'll just kind of hold her beak for a bit (not hard or causing any pain at all).

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

My lovebird Sobe doesn't like anything coming at her fast, so if he is biting you on the neck I woul swing a sock or something soft infront of him to get him off your shoulder. What worked for Sobe was if she was biting me I would keep a straight face ( Iknow it's hard :-) and blow as hard as you can straight into his face, they hate that and will soon conect it with biting.

Nugget's Mamma Brand New Egg Nugget's MammaMamma's Avatar
    Name
    Holly
    Thanks

I know it can be really frustrating when your lovie isn't being quite so loving.

Nugg was like this for awhile. He was a tame babe when I got him and then after 2 weeks he became Mr. Blood Beak.

Progress from ouch biting to nibbles is slow. I work with Nugg everyday and everyday I see a little more improvement. Nugg play bites...really hard...like tears in your eyes hard. He also will not leave my hand or my shoulder to go into his cage. I try to trick him by hiding the fact that we are getting closer to his cage and then...WHAM! He is put away. Sometimes I cover him with my hands...all while biting is happening and just take him to his cage and put him in for 5 mins. Then I let him right back out for 5 mins. We do this a couple times a day.

As far as aggressive biting...Nugg did that too. Now he has learned that my family and I are the leaders of the flock. My father, who is a bit more brave than I, flips Nugg onto his back and lets him know when he has had enough. I also did the blowing thing but I used "NO BITING!" in a deep voice. This way when I warn Nugg that he is getting too close to being bad he stops and I don't have to blow on him.

Neck biting seems to be a different creature. Is there anyway you can keep Squeakers off your shoulder? Maybe he thinks he owns you? As soon as Nugg got nasty I put him back in his cage ASAP. I would try to hide my neck so that Squeakers forgets about it. Wear a shirt that covers it or put some tasty printer paper there so that Squeakers is distracted.

Good luck! All of this takes a lot of time and patience! Practice too!

His Royal Greyness' Mom Chick spoosrule's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

I don't have any advice, but I wanted to wish you good luck with Squeakers. I also wanted to say how wonderful it is that you aren't giving up on him because of this like some other pet owners would.

Name
    Emily
    Thanks

Ahhh,
    Today was much better

I think I may be looking at his biting the wrong way,
    Like with the neck biting, It could be that hes playing with me... Like I'll say no, and then he'll like tickle me with his beak and feet and here me laugh, and then he bites again... So maybe that is sometimes playing....

As for the fingers,
    He's getting much better at trusting them. Like, I decided to put a treat in front of his beak, while my finger was near him. When he leaned for it, I pulled the treat away so he had to step-up onto my finger to get it. We did this a couple times and then he was okay. But again! Onto my shoulder! Lol...

He doesnt really attack my finger if I move it near him, but he does a loud squeak every now and then and if I put my finger near him, he bites it... It takes time I guess. The earth-quake trick works I think, because when I do it, he stops biting.

I will have to try the blow-trick when he bites my neck... Thanks for all the help and advice! I really appreciate it!

Emily

P.S. Pics of my little semi-devilish bird may be up soon! My dad just needs to helpy me connect my camera to my comp