Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New cage cover

Aperture Test Subject Teenager shiney mew's Avatar
    Thanks

New cage cover

Edy's been having more problems with night frights lately, so the vet suggested a new cage cover, one that would completely cover the cage and block out light (we've been using a tent cover that only covered most of the cage). So we got a huge sheet of dark blue fabric that completely darkens the cage, but she's kinda scared of it... but isn't total darkness often a cause for night frights anyway? I think the idea, though, is so she doesn't see things moving that she can't tell what they are... also, my room is never completely dark except during a power outage because we keep a lamp on at night. Any tips?

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

Re: New cage cover

Hm that does seems a little unusual to me. The general advice here when your bird has night frights is to leave a light on for them. Covering them seems to have the opposite effect and might cause more night frights.

Penny has never has a night fright but will have moments of spazzing if the lamp is only on the first setting. They don't see well in the dark, so i think it's shadows and such that are very scary for them. If i turn the lamp to the 2nd setting, he's just fine.

I think your instincts of needing more light are probably the best way to go. Put the lamp closer or make it a bit brighter. I wouldn't stress her out with a cover unless more light fails to help. Good luck!

Name
    Andrea
    Thanks

AW: New cage cover

I agree with Bonnie,
    you donīt have to cover the cage. And if you leave a small lamp on, your tiel will be OK at night

My 8 Nymphicus Hollandicus

Aperture Test Subject Teenager shiney mew's Avatar
    Thanks

I kinda have a bad habit of staying up for most of the night on the computer (like... 5 AM, since I'm out of school and can do that), so I kinda worry about her seeing me moving and not recognizing me in the dark. Her night frights haven't been this frequent before, though, and she didn't have one last night after I left part of the cage uncovered... I know I should try to start getting to bed earlier, but it might help if I can figure out a way to set up a light near the cage so she'd have light, but not be able to see shadows through the cover...

I love Sun Kissed Birds! Baby Birds on the brain's Avatar
    Name
    Nedra
    Thanks

Our birds are in the same room as the computer, tv and we often stay up late, they get used to it after a while. however I do cover them so they can rest and we just turn on a lamp on the other side of the room...even if your cover is dark she should be able to see enough light with a lamp on.

Remove Ads