Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Hybrid View

Brand New Egg
    Name
    J
    Thanks

Found an unhealthy conure, advice?

Hi everyone.
    I have been browsing here a quite sometime and finally registered. I currently take care of three clumbsy and goofy birds: a Sun Conure, a Cherry head, and a Nanday.

I found a Sun Conure that was for sale in a local pet shop. Its beak was crooked, not overgrown but about 1/4 inch misaligned. It looked very thin and its eyes were bulging out. Its toes were a bit overgrown and I noticed that the smaller "thumb" was crooked. Food dish was full of seeds, no pellets, and it was very jumpy/scared.

I am guessing these are signs of poor diet and poor care. Can a bird like this be brought back to health? I asked someone at the shop what is up with the conure and he said that the bird was fine.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    lisa
    Thanks

Re: Found an unhealthy conure, advice?

oh that poor dear thing. I think anything is possible. As someone who is called "that bird guy" says there is no lost cause with a bird. He has rescued so many birds and each one has a more horrible story than the last and all of his birds are healthy and well taken care of. Do you own this bird now? If so take it to the Vet now and get it a full work up.

Lisa
    PLUS 2 parrotlets, 5 finches, 3 baby green cheeks, 4 baby cockatiels, 2 baby lovebirds, a russian tortoise, and a tankful of fish.

Name
    zach
    Thanks

You can try talking to the manager at the store. Let him know that the condition this conure is in, may need special attention and certainly a better diet. If the conure is jumpy and scared, then he is not getting the proper attention.

The thing is, you can take this conure home and give it the care he needs to recover from whatever he is going through now, but another bird will only fill his place in that store. Unfortunately, there are managers/ owners that look at their animals as nothing but product that needs to be sold and the employees that look at it as nothing but a job. From what you have mentioned, that it the impression I am left with.

In this case, the best thing that can be done to ensure any animal will be properly cared for, is to report them to someone that can make a difference. Then again, who knows, maybe the people that work there really just don't know anything about handling a conure and just need some education.

Parrot chew toy! Maturing... 2cay2's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Zach raised some very good points! If you can, I would report them to a humane society. If they need it they will then get good advice and be checked up on. If you buy the bird the cycle of neglect will continue. If the humane society think it needs removing, tell them you would like to give it a home. Be aware though that this poor little chap may need special (maybe costly) care all it's life. However as you already have 3 conures, you know to some degree what you are letting yourself in for!
    I think the beak would be the main issue if you where to take him on. Can he eat properly? Will it need regular, life long, veterinary trimming? He should be ok with a bent beak, but if the cutting edges are misaligned it will more than likely need regular attention. A change of diet and lots of attention should improve things in general, but bare in mind that he could be ill (diseased) too.

I hate this sort of cruelty. Poor little bird
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

to Tailfeathers by the way!
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brand New Egg
    Name
    J
    Thanks

Hi everyone,
    Thanks for the replies.
    I found out that they got the Sun Conure a few weeks ago. The store does have a few other parrots that are all friendly and healthy looking. I will be talking the manager the next time I head down there; hopefully they will let me take it to a vet if it hasnt been there already.
    I will post any updates with the bird. Thanks again for the help and advice everyone.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Yes, do let us know what happens.
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Becky
    Thanks

Don't quote me on this, but I believe, unless the poor guy was born with the misalignment, that it is nearly always a sign of a diet deficieny. If he is a mass produced hand fed young bird, the chances are his beek malformed because improper nutrition. This can also happen in older birds with poor diet. The good news is that the beak is a constantly growing body part and with corrective trimming and proper diet he should be good as new with someone who cares to take the time.

Another thing I would be wary of since you said his eyes bulge and he looks thin, is that something isn't broken. THAT could be a major corrective expense.

Your bird called. It said, GET OFF THE COMPUTER!!"

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Any updates on the little chap?
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]