Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Molting Behavior

Hi, My parakeet cracker is currently molting. his behavior has changed alot , he wants to stay in his cage alot. He doesn't like to be by me or let me pet him. Has anybody elses birds done this? what should i do? I have already taken a few toys out of his cage so he doesn't like it as much.

Frosty and Cooper's mom Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Beth
    Thanks

Re: Molting Behavior

My bird has also had a change in behavior like you mentioned. It seems like shes been moulting forever! She is finally starting to get a little nicer, as she is losing her tailfeathers now. She is very possessive of her cage, but I don't take any of her toys out because she spends a good amout of the day in there. My boyfriend and myself built her a great playgym though, which seems to help her want to come out of the cage more often, which it is then easier to hold her. Good luck with Crackers, hopefully he will molt fast!

MaristKKG

Moltin

Bailey hasn't been too bad. His molting is mostly showing up on the top of his head. He's got these little spikes growing in! I took him in the shower with me last night though, and he totally didn't want to be in there. But when I took him off the shower perch and held him in the towel, I think he liked that he felt warm and cuddled.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Jaclyn
    Thanks

Re: Moltin

my birds act like that when they are molting too. expect your bird to act a little bit off for a few weeks, until the molting stage is over. molting is not a comfortable process...the old feathers fall off and as the new ones grow in, the shaft unrolls and splits open multiple times before the new feathers can fully grow in. this causes a lot of tenderness in the skin and he/she probably doesnt want to be handled as much. give your bird a break for a little while and when you notice that he/she is a little more comfortable moving around in the cage (that is usually the first sign) you can start handling him/her as you usually do.