Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Conure updates, photos, a secret revealed, and a behavioral question :)

Geaux Tigers!!! Tailfeather NeapolitanSixth's Avatar
    Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Conure updates, photos, a secret revealed, and a behavioral question :)

Hi everyone! I haven't posted here in a month or so because I was busy wrapping up my first year as a graduate music student--boy can I tell you I have a new respect for what my professors had to go through when they were my age. After school ended, I took some time to do all the things I wanted to do in Louisiana with my husband and then promptly caught a cold which has kept me down.

Bartok and Cisco have been doing really well. Cisco is still in love with my husband and loud as ever. Bartok still has the tendency to overpreen, but what I'm finding is that unlike all my other parrots, he does not like a big weekly toy rotation. He will start playing with his toys when they have been up in his cage for a month plus. This has helped decrease some of his self-destructive behaviors somewhat. Instead of putting a whole new slew of toys in his cage to see what he likes, I have ordered some preening toys to hang in his cage for a month or so. Hopefully he'll start paying more attention to those.

So now for my big secret: since around mid-march, I have been housing another sun conure. I rescued her from a situation I could not turn away from and didn't post about her here because we were not sure if we were going to surrender her to a rescue or not. A couple months later, she's latched onto our hearts and even though we are living in a bird-ful home, we can't bear to part with her! She's almost a year old and her name is Scout.

Photos, as promised:

Tuckered out after her first bath.

Showing off

I'm not in the habit of letting my birds play on my light fixtures, but she flew up there herself--I just had to take photos because she was so cute!

Conure belly!!!!

And for the cutest two photos:

She likes to sleep on her side!!!!

...and when that is not possible, with her head actually resting on the pillow like the little princess she is.

She's adjusted pretty well and is enjoying her cage full of toys. There is a problem, however. Lately, she will not let me pick her up out of her cage. This is fair enough, as I know that some birds like to come out first. But...the strangest part is that she's become somewhat phobic of hands. She'll step up fine, but if I reach up with my other hand to scritch her head, she squawks defensively at it. The only time she is comfortable with my hands touching her is if we're playing under the covers, or if she's in my hair. The other thing is that she used to let me pull out her wings (I try to practice this with all my birds to make clipping and vet visits easier) and now she will not tolerate that under any circumstances. This occurred after I clipped her wings about two and a half weeks ago, so it may just be a matter of trust. She is also going through a heavy molt. The weird thing is that I let her become flighted after I rescued her--she had never flown in her life. After a time, it became clear that she was going to be a danger to herself in the small space we all shared, so I reluctantly clipped her wings. She did not seem to be that much more confident flighted, but she is definitely more phobic of touching around that area and me petting her if she is not sheltered. I also wonder if her old owner hurt her or teased her with their hands annd she's just beginning to remember again? Perhaps our "honeymoon period" is over? If you guys have any solutions or theories to my problem, advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Nikki
    Last edited by NeapolitanSixth; 06-02-2007 at 05:02 PM.
    Come visit my flock!! ( click )
    Need help finding an avian vet? Click HERE.

Check out my blog!

Name
    phill
    Thanks

Re: Conure updates, photos, a secret revealed, and a behavioral question :)

aww bless you for rescuing her! im not to sure about her behavioral problems but i would like to know about where she came from if you woulnt mind telling but if not thats fine
    QUAKER
    Proud owner of:
    Cj, Posh, Becham-- Quakers
    Bella, Bello-- GCC and 1 GCC bub
    Jonny, Princess-- Tiels
    1 tiel bub coming soon!!

Silly Lily's Mommy Baby shortncrazy2's Avatar
    Name
    Denise
    Thanks

that is wonderful that you rescued her!

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Deserae
    Thanks

Sorry I don't have any advice but she sure is beautiful.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I wonder, is she just scared of hands that were involved in that clipping, or is it all hands?

I also wonder if she is a bit likely Wesley about hands and grudges...

Wesley is a cuddler, meaning *he* will cuddle *me* to kingdom come. He will also let me stroke him and what not--there is no general phobia of hands. However, most of the time he won't let me preen his neck. Or if he does, it is for a few moments only. This seems to because sometimes when I preen him I begin to mess with his pin feathers, and sometimes I do it the wrong way and it pricks. Ergo, Wesley won't let me touch pin feathers.

I keep waiting for him to get over it, but he still hasn't, perhaps because I am a repeat offender! Just goes to show that they can hold specific actions in mind and try to avoid them. Maybe you can coax her to interact when she is willing and just never repeat the wing clipping ordeal....
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Thank you for the comments everyone!

The story behind Scout is a long one, but basically a friend of a friend's roommate had her and didn't know how/didn't want to know how to care for her. After trying to help out, she eventually offered to sell her to me for $50. If I didn't take her, Scout was going to be craigslisted.

Danielle--Scout is phobic of all hands, unless she is sheltered in what she perceives to be a conure cave. She lets me scritch her for long stretches of time when she is buried in my hair, and to a lesser extent, when she is under the covers. Like Wesley, she gets irritated when I poke a pinfeather the wrong way and won't let me scritch for a while, but eventually gives in again. What does Wesley do when he cuddles with you? Does he preen you, burrow, rub his face on you? Bartok's definition of cuddling is different, and Cisco mainly likes to dance on my husband, so I'm curious to know what the sun way of cuddling is.

EDIT: I also wanted to add that Scout has always been afraid of hands in unfamiliar territory, i.e. when she is feeling insecure.

-Nikki
    Last edited by NeapolitanSixth; 06-03-2007 at 01:22 PM.

Check out my blog!

Chick
    Name
    Diane
    Thanks

What a cutie Scout is! Congrats on rescuing her and deciding to give her a forever home.

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Thank you, Diane. The poor thing has been through so much, it's the least we can do!

-Nikki

Check out my blog!

Parrot chew toy! Maturing... 2cay2's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Moulting can make them grumpy. Also how old is she? During their "teenage" stage they can 'pretend' to be frightened of things. (It helps them develope skills to survive in the wild).
    If she has developed a hand phobia, just take baby steps re-introducing your hands to her. Attempt to remove your hands BEFORE she gets grumpy/scared, that way she should start relaxing around your hands and you should be able to keep them near her for longer. Also try to associate your hands with good things like treats, toys, play, fun etc. rather than bad things like touching in uncomforable places, wing clipping, restraining etc.
    Good luck with her and bless you for taking her it

edit: oops, just saw that you say she is a year old, so yes she is at that developmental stage.
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Nikki
    Thanks

Linda--thank you for your insight. That does make a lot of sense. I've been working with her like how you mentioned, and she seems to becoming more of herself now. It really is amazing how complex they are, especially at this age!

-Nikki

Check out my blog!

Remove Ads