Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Indian Ringneck???

Name
    Meredith
    Thanks

Indian Ringneck???

I was in the pet store the other day and cae across a beautiful and sweet baby Lutino Indian Ringneck who is still handfeeding. This little one is so sweet and adorable that I just love him. I can't get him out of my mind and find myself going there to visit him all the time.

Anyway, I feel as if I might break down and bring him home ... my question is how are these birds as pets? Are they kind, sweet, lovable, like attention? Etc. Any other information about them would be great. I have always had Cockatiels as pets and have always wanted a larger bird. How would this bird differ from a cockatiel as a companion pet?

Also ... I thought that this bird was a little pricey, but I could be wrong - what do these birds usually go for?
    Meredith

Name
    Brock
    Thanks

Re: Indian Ringneck???

I don't have much experience with ringnecks (or cockatiels, lol), but I can at least start you out.

Ringnecks are social birds and love to play, talk, but don't typically like to be cuddled. They need to be involved with your daily life as they have a greater tendency than some parrots to untame when left alone, and also prefer other birds over humans. I've read they are nippy in their 'terrible-twos' but quickly grow out of that and are not nippy or bitey birds as a whole.

http://www.avianweb.com/indianringneck.html
    .~Brock~.

Name
    Meredith
    Thanks

Does anyone know if they are a very noisy bird or if there noise level is fairly low. I live in an apartment and don't want a bird that will be to noisy and upset my neighbors. The noise doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't want others upset and to complain.
    Meredith

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Indian Ringnecks come in MANY beautiful mutations now days. It was only a short 20 years ago when the blue mutations were produced. These birds were selling in the $3,000 range. In today’s market you are lucking to get $150 hand fed and DNA sexed. (pet store prices will be much higher than breeder prices)

Indian Ringnecks can make good pets, BUT they must be played with daily to remain tame. They revert to a wild stage rather quickly if left on their own. Indian Ringnecks take 2 years to reach sexual maturity. This is when the males neck ring grows in, hens never get a ring. If you want to know the sex before the 2 years are up, DNA sexing or surgical sexing are accurate options.

Indian Ringnecks are loved by a very special group of people. Their natural call is pretty shrill. These are NOT apartment type birds, they are loud. They can learn to talk, but never to the precision of the African Grey. I have seen some videos where people have taught their IRN to do ticks such as put a small waffle ball into a basket ball hoop.

If well cared for this birds can live 30 years.

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

I have no knowledge of ringnecks, but I know how you feel. My local pet store had a gorgeous and very tame blue IRN in for a few weeks, and I just could not get it out of my mind. But, I resisted (I knew it would be too much work for me), and when I went in today it was gone. I just hope it found a loving home.
    Heather

Remove Ads