Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Budgie cage...

Name
    Adrian
    Thanks

Budgie cage...

Okay, rather than go to the nearest pet store and get a cage that's probably not the greatest for a price that's definitely not, I hunted around Ebay for a new home for Phoebe. Right now he's living in a temporary affair.

Here's the cage I'm currently bidding on. It's a breeding cage, but the divider can be removed to make it a 2 ft. horizontal cage, which I think would be great for Phoebe.

What do you guys think? The final dimensions with the breeding divider removed is something like 15 inches high by 24 inches long by 15 inches deep.

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Re: Budgie cage...

Sounds great.

I see onle one disadvantage
    since the cage devider inside. If you have two budiges whos not keen on the other and his/her tail is poking through the divder then the other budige may sneak up and bites it tail or feet.

Name
    Adrian
    Thanks

As I stated originally, the divider is removable.

Thanks

15 inches is a little bit cramped (I think it's supposed to be 16" minimum in every direction for a single budgie), but since it's nice and long I think it should be fine for one

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

I liked this cage as well but i was concerned about the quality of the cage since the price i saw it for (around $20) was so low. If i hadn't found an awesome cage at a pet store i probably would have went for taht style cage and might in the future since they seem to be pretty common on ebay.

you'll have to give us an update and tell us if you like it or not!

brdldy123

what is the bar spacing? i would reccommend something lss than a half an inch!

ping

Name
    Adrian
    Thanks

The bars are suitably spaced. The entire cage is intended for use with budgies and smaller. I think it'll be a good deal overall as I won't be making use of the divider, ever.

Flip Souljah

I have a similar cage as you

I have a very similary cage to yours. Mine may be a little bit more lengthier than yours but it's very very similar.

Here's a few things I've found over the 3yrs I've had this cage

- I've had it for 3yrs so it's long lasting
    - I don't use the divider much, I've only used it a few times when I would try to catch one of my budgies that moves like lightning around the cage. When I used it to seperate two fighting budgies, they did however manage to peck at eachother's feet if one of them was hanging onto the dividider
    - The length of it is great since my little ones love jumping from perch to perch. It gives them more room to run around and hop around
    - The huge doors on the front of it can be removed and you can place a nesting box there..plus I believe there's doors at the ends of the cages so you can use that to remove or fix something within the cage.
    -The removeable bottom is also great since you won't have to remove the birds to clean the bottom of the cage and it DOES get dirty and messy quick. I would still place pieces of paper to the bottom because the "doodies" do stick pretty good
    -I have 5 Budgies and they all fit in there pretty well and I use it as their play area and daytime cage. At night I remove 2 of them and place them in my other cage.
    -I also have a much much larger version of this cage for my Ring Neck, and he loves it.
    -The width of the cage bars are small enough so that the beaks won't go through..but enough to take food from you through the bars

So there's a few things I thought I'd add about this cage. If you have any questions at all about the cage, feel free and ask since I do have a pretty similar cage as the one you are getting from Ebay.

Enjoy the cage and I think that your birds will be very happy with it. It's very roomy.

brdldy123

Re: I have a similar cage as you

does the cage have horizontal bars at all?

erica

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

Re: I have a similar cage as you

It doesn't look like it, but from my experience my budgies do great on any kind of cage at all, with the bars horizontal or vertical. They must have little suction cups on their claws.

Flip Souljah

no horizontal bars

No horizontal bars if you don't count the two or three that goes around as bearings. Even though there are none, they still climb the cage and hang upside down and such. Yes a horizontal barred cage would be better, but, in my opinion it doesn't matter, because they'll be hanging off the side of the cage in any case.

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: no horizontal bars

I agree that horizontal bars are preferable. But a bugie can do OK in vertical bars if it has decent mobility. I think the size is nice. Only thing I really dislike is that the cage has guilotine doors for the food. Those will have to be clipped down to prevent escape or getting stuck.

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

I hate the guilatine door on my tiels cage, she's never played with it or gotten out or anything, but its just really inconvenient cause i can't just leave the door open like on my budgies cage and just let them come and go as they please, also she can't just go back in and get some seed and a drink if she wants, i have to put her back in every once in a while to see if she needs refreshment. I wouldn't get up and get my fiance a drink every 15 minutes, but i do it for Gracie. THey probably all chuckle behind my back about how well they have me trained.

Did you end up getting that cage? If so, how is it working out for you?

silvergem16

inging13...................why dont you just leave a small bowl of water and food right outside of the cage so your bird can get it alone without you having to put it back in every 15 minutes........................???????

Plus ive got those doors too, and they are EXTREMELY easy to just peg open........................... Mine stay open all day, pegged open, and pegged shut at night so he cant get hurt.

Hatching
    Name
    Ingrid
    Thanks

I would but I don't want the seed all over the place...I like to keep it within a 3 foot radius of her cage. :haha That would be a bright idea though...duh. I might be egagerating a bit about every 15 minutes also. But its true that I would tell my fiance to get off his lazy butt before i would run around serving up beverages for him!