Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Michael~
    Thanks

My bird Eats Newspaper !!~!

My bird loves to eat newspaper and there is just no stoping her from doing it...
    Can it be dangerous for her..she does not swallow it
    she bites it and spits it out..but my next female occasionaly eats it and swallows it some times..I put newspaper in the bottom of the cgae to let it be much more easier to clean the cage from their droppings...Wut can I do..:| :| :|

~~MICHAEL~~

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

Re: My bird Eats Newspaper !!~!

My budgie used to do that. No matter how many toys he had, he always wanted to go to the bottom of the cage to chew on newspaper. I ended up tying strips of newspaper on the cage bars so that he could chew them without picking them up from the bottom of the cage. However, eating newspaper is bad, and you need to stop your bird from doing that. I'd suggest a couple of things:

1) place chewable toys in the cage. Toys with rope, rawhide, leather or wood are good. Hagen's birdie pacifier is another good one. If you give them both lots to chew on, maybe they will not bother with the newspaper so much.

2) Get a grate for the bottom of the cage, to prevent your bird from being able to reach the newspaper. You can do this by asking at the store where you bought the cage if there is a grate available for that model. Sometimes, they are sold separately, and you can order one. I have mixed feelings about grates. There is always a danger of a bird falling ona grate and hurting itself, perhaps during a nightfright. I had a budgie, Mudge, with poor mobility, and he often fell. A grate woul have broken his legs. However, for a bird that has good mobility and doesn't fall, it could be OK. You definitely don't want your birds eating newspaper. But I'd try giving them other, safer chewables such as the one mentioned above, before using a grate.

silvergem16

Trust me, EVERYONES bird loves to eat newspaper. Or any paper for that matter (except for that bird that is scared of white......)

No matter what other toys are available birds seem to absolutly LOVE chewing and shredding paper. Get a new cage with a grate, thats the only thing you can do i think. Other toys wont stop the bird chewing if he can get his/her beak on paper.

Speaker of the house (the chatty one) Tailfeather Duddles's Avatar
    Name
    Duddles
    Thanks

All of my birds have loved to chew, but none of them have ever eaten paper. Pez is the only one that ever went to the bottom to chew on newspaper, and he stopped when I started tying shreds of newspaper near the top of the cage for him to chew on. You may still have the best luck with a new cage with a grate. Just be very watchful. When your bird is older and has poor mobility, a grate can be a horrible thing to have in the cage if your bird falls.