where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: please help

Brand New Egg
    Name
    ishan
    Thanks

please help

I needed some help if it wasn't too much trouble. attatched are pictures of what i certainly hope are pin feathers but im not sure because theyve been there for 3 weeks! the other picture is a large wound my cockatiel has. hes been to the vets numerous times. and hes completed his treatment but the vet says it will take time to heal. the problem is i dont think we can remove the cone from his neck other wise he will open up the wound again by itching it. and i think he may need his beak to open the pin feathers. i'm completely at a loss of what to do. my vet isn't helping very much and there are no other avian vets in the area. believe it or not the wound looked worse than it does.

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Re: please help

I'm not all that experienced, but I will attempt to answer. Those do look like pin feathers to me. You should be misting him regularly to keep the sheaths moist so they don't harden. I;m not ure, but 3wks seems like along time for the sheath to still be intact. Try wetting them a bit and gently try to pull the sheath of yourself. Don't pull too hard if it doesn;t come right off. Just keep misting them daily and try to get them off. How long has he had the cone? Was he plucking?
    Heather

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Oh, and, like I said, I'm not all that experienced so please don't do anything until somebody confirms what I've said or calls me out on my stupidity.

Also, if he was plucking then he is having issues that need to be taken care of ASAP. He could be extremely bored, have a bad diet, or something else. I'm not meaning to sound like you are a bad parront, just trying to figure out what happened.
    Heather

Brand New Egg
    Name
    ishan
    Thanks

shes had it for 6 weeks now i think. you see it started as a little open wound and we had the vet chek an prescribe somthing for it. after 2 days he had itched so much it got HUGE at that point we put on the cone. i didnt kno i had to mist it. even though i've done a lot of research ......

they seem hard and brittle. ill immediately mist them. all help is appreciated everyone.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    ishan
    Thanks

hahah no hes not plucking =]

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

just checkin'.
    Heather