Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Breeding Linnies (Lineolated parakeet) not parakeets, I know this is not the section

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aamir
    Thanks

Breeding Linnies (Lineolated parakeet) not parakeets, I know this is not the section

Please help me out! If Linnies have some of their feathers plucked out, will they be able to grow them back? If yes, then how long it will take?

Also, how many eggs do they lay in a clutch?

What babies might I get if the male is a cobalt and female in creamino?

Also, how many clutches can you let them lay each year?

Also, will Linnies be able to breed if their are cockatiels in the room?

Also, how much would you buy handfed cobalt blue baby linnies and creamino handfed baby linnies?

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Linnies (Lineolated parakeet) not parakeets, I know this is not the sect

First off, about the plucking- it all depends on how bad the plucking is. If it is bad, it may never grow back. If it is not so bad (the feather follicles are still intact) it may take a few molts or so (so about a year or more).

Second, the number of eggs depends on the parents. They usually lay between 3 and 5 eggs.

The only color you will get with your pair is blue and cobalt. The males will be split to ino (lutino).

I would only let them have 2-3 clutches a year at the most. For their first year, maybe only one.

They will be fine with the Tiels in the room.

They can range in price from $150 to $350 depending on your area. With the colors you would get, I would suggest around $250 or so.

If your male is split to ino, you could get Creaminos and I would suggest starting price at $350, then bargain from there.
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Aamir
    Thanks

Re: Breeding Linnies (Lineolated parakeet) not parakeets, I know this is not the sect

Hello, thanks alot for your answer. I really appreciate it. Do you think it's a good deal to get a blue cobalt male and creamino female for 350$? They are proven and they are a little bit plucked. I live in Toronto, Canada.

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

I don't think that is a bad price, but I have little experience with selling them and buying them. I guess I would look at the demand for them. Personally, where I am from, I probably wouldn't buy them just because there is little demand for them here. If there is a demand for them where you are and you are prepared to raise them and take care of the breeders and babies (which would of course mean taking them to the vet, etc.), then by all means do it.

I think for $350, that's a pretty good deal, but as far as the plucking, the female is probably plucking the male during breeding season.

I would ask how old they are and how many years they have been breeding and how many clutches per year normally. This should effect your decision to buy them as they may be over bred. If they have been breeding for 3 years with 3 clutches a year, I would hesitate on spending that much on them. If they have been bred far less than that, it may be worth it.

You may also want to ask the seller how many babies they produce with each clutch. You may also want to ask, offhandedly, what colors they have produced, then you will know if they also have any splits, though I don't think the female could have splits with the color she has.
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Remove Ads