where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Zebra Finches

Name
    Renee
    Thanks

Zebra Finches

Hello!
    We just added 2 zebra finches to our feathered family and I have a couple of questions for you Zebra connoisseurs. Are Zebra's tameable? They go crazy when you approach the cage, will they always do this? Do they require toys in the cage? Their sole recreation is flying from one side of the cage to the other right now. I have a male and a female, if I DO NOT put nesting materials in the cage will they still mate and have babies? Going shopping today for a bigger cage. Thanks for the help!

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals." ~ Anonymous

Gone insane, be back soon Hatching
    Name
    Carla
    Thanks

Re: Zebra Finches

Are Zebra's tameable? They go crazy when you approach the cage, will they always do this?
    As a rule Zebs can't be tamed BUT Lindsey on here has a couple of tame zebs. She achieved this by handraising them which is extremely hard to do. So I would say no they aren't tameable. With regard to going crazy when you go to the cage, that'll change. When I first got my pair they did, but after a while they realised I wasn't going to hurt them, and now they'll sit on a perch and not freak out. However, if I put my hand in the cage for whatever reason, they *can* freak out without any obvious trigger, but thats just Zebs imo

Do they require toys in the cage? Their sole recreation is flying from one side of the cage to the other right now
    Zebs don't use toys in the same way other birds do, but they do enjoy swings. I also have a flower perch in my Zeb cage that moves when they land on it (like a normal flower/tree) that they enjoy. I've got some wheatgrass on order too for them, which although not a toy, provides some fun for them, as well as a tasty foraging treat.

I have a male and a female, if I DO NOT put nesting materials in the cage will they still mate and have babies?
    They will still mate, and the female will lay, but they are unlikely to produce babies. I say unlikely, because they can find strange places to lay eggs in, but as long as you remove the eggs as you find them (or you could replace them with the plastic eggs you can buy) they won't grow into babies. There is a "safe" amount of time you can leave eggs in that'll slow down her egg production and *turn off* her breeding switch for a bit, but I don't know what that is off the top of my head.

Name
    Lindsey
    Thanks

Are Zebra's tameable? They go crazy when you approach the cage, will they always do this?
    No sadly Zebras aren't tameable. I am the owner of the two handraised tame zebs. Basically that is the only way to have a tame finch. They won't always freak out when you approach the cage though they will eventually get used to it. They will never like you sticking your hand in their cage though.

Do they require toys in the cage? Their sole recreation is flying from one side of the cage to the other right now.
    They do enjoy swings, bell toys, my tame guys have toys that I made out of strings, bells buttons and ribbons that they really enjoy. Basically though no they do not need toys they will have each other and play with each other.

I have a male and a female, if I DO NOT put nesting materials in the cage will they still mate and have babies?
    Yes they will still breed. The best thing to get if you don't want babies is two males. Two females is also ok but they will still lay eggs. Good luck!
    Lindsey

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

I agree with what has been said so far. My zebs are not tame, but seem to enjoy when I am in the room... they hop over to the perch close to me and watch me When I leave the room, they often make their alarm noise.... though they are neurotic, so it may just be that,

My finches (two males) enjoy anything in their cage that they can (or attempt to) nest with... grass, nesting material, millet sticks after the seeds are gone... they really seem to enjoy themselves trying to nest and such, so I give them things like that. They also have a swing and a hanging beaded toy I put in the cage that they try to tug on.

Name
    Renee
    Thanks

Ok! Thanks for all the input! I found a great flight cage for very little money today, and I did buy a couple swings, different size perches and of course I had to buy something for the dogs, cats and cockatiel too! Sooooo...spending just a LITTLE money doesn't work for me! Thanks guys!

"The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals." ~ Anonymous

Name
    Angel-Iris
    Thanks

gd luck i still am having trouble breeding my pair ( goan buy a finch nest box )

Name
    Renee
    Thanks

Just moved the new babies into their big cage, they love it! At first they were just sitting on the bottom awe struck, now they are flying around like mad! They are so fun to watch!

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

What are their names? And we need some pictures!

Name
    Renee
    Thanks

Well I hate to say it but I have not named them yet! I got them last Saturday at the bird fair. I'll let you know as soon as I think of names, and will get pictures soon!