Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mother died today, first baby hatched today...

Brand New Egg
    Name
    David
    Thanks

Mother died today, first baby hatched today...

This morning I noticed one of the eggs hatched from our cockatiels. This afternoon the mother came out of the nesting box fell to the bottom of the cage and looked very strange. We took her out tried to give her some water and she just died. It was strange and sudden. This morning she looked fine and all of a sudden she just collapsed.

I just looked again at the nest box and a second egg hatched. The father is still alive and he seems to be spending most of his time in the nest box but will he feed the babies and care for them? What do I do in a situation like this? Would we have to help the father? There are four eggs, two hatched so far, but the rest will probably hatch very soon. What should we do?

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Ginny
    Thanks

Re: Mother died today, first baby hatched today...

The hen could have died from either lack of calcium, egg binding..hard to say. There's a good chance since the father is in the nestbox that he will tend the babies. Keep checking the box frequently..you may have to provide supplemental feedings to the babies..especially the younger two.
    Ginny

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

yes, the father will feed them, but I don't know if it will be enough. It will be very hard work for him to do on his own. You want to check them carefully. If weight dips, you should start handfeeding.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie Anne
    Thanks

Keep a very close eye on the father and make sure he's eating, too. My R.B. Bird was such a good daddy and so attentive to his babies that his last clutch I nearly lost him because although he was eating, he wasn't eating enough. Find a local breeder who can show you how to hand feed. It isn't easy, but it isn't hard either. Mostly making sure the seringe [sorry about spelling] is pointed down the right pipe. Also, do you have an incubator? Make sure you can pull the babies and put them in an incubator and hand feed if necessary, if it becomes too much for the father. Like I said, talk to a local breeder. My AsaMina tried to wean and refused the seringe at 2 weeks of age and I had to spoon feed her with a 1/8 sized teaspoon till her body caught up with her determination. I do hope your babies will be ok. I lost AsaMina's mother to a massive egg just this May 21.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    David
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll look into hand feeding and see how I can start doing that.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    David
    Thanks

A couple of other questions I just thought of. Do they need any special food? I normally give them seeds and some fruits and vegetables here and there. What else do they need? Do birds drink milk at all? It sounds like a dumb question since I've never seen bird nipples but most animals drink milk. What do the babies need to grow healthy?

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I dont know nothing about babies but just wanted to tell you I am very sorry about your Momma bird dying
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

David, I am so sorry to hear that the mother did not make it. The dad should be able to take care of the chicks, but he will need help. Make sure he is getting lots of high protein and calcium foods, such as eggs scrambled with the shells, bits of cooked chicken, beans and whole grains, cuttle bone, broccoli, and fresh veggies as well as the seed or pellets he is eating.

Here is an article about hand feeding that may be helpful- it covers not only how much they should be eating but also temperatures, humidity levels, etc.
    http://www.lafeber.com/Products/feed...structions.asp

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

I'm so sorry the mother died. Poor babies...
    Vegetarian Living with 1 Cockatiel and 1 Budgie

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

I'm sorry for you loss, i hope the babies make it

Birds are lactose intolerant, so they're the exception - no milk . Good luck to you and let us know how those babies are doing.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Ginny
    Thanks

Make sure the dad is getting soft foods easier for him and the chicks to digest. My parents love cooked brown rice with peas and corns added plus egg foods.
    Ginny

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Julie Anne
    Thanks

This recipe has been vet and breeder approved. I've raised many babies with it and I've yet to meet a tiel that won't eat it:
    1 cup dry pasta, small shapes like orzo, acini de pepe, alphabets cooked according to package directions and cooled to room temperature - www.netgrocer.com or www.eden.com if not available in your area
    1/2 cup dry grain like rice, bulgur, human grade millet cooked in 1 1/2 cups water till all the water is absorbed and cooled to room temperature- if not available in your area www.goldminenaturalfood.com
    2 hard boiled eggs- cook the eggs for 30minutes to kill any bacteria in them, peel and toss the shells
    1- 4 ounce jar organic or natural baby food [apple sauce, sweet potato and apple mango are the flavors that seem to work the best for starters, mine will eat any flavor and tiels are allergic to dairy, so no dairy, please]- I use beechnut and Earths Best both are available at www.netgrocer.com Once all the hot stuff is cooled, mix in the baby food. for one bird freeze half of the Mush because it'll only keep in the fridge for a week [7 days] before going bad. It has a very distinctive smell when it sours. Because the Daddy Bird is used to seed, mix in a little seed with the Mush and sprinkle a thin layer of seed on top of it. Slowly decrease the amount of seed on the Mush every day to every other day till there is nothing left but the Mush. I've completely converted tiels in 24 hours and then my Edgar took four days. I'd recommend NOT giving a separate dish of seed, just what's on the Mush and WATCH Daddy Bird closely to make sure he's eating. You can mix fresh veggies in the Mush as well as pellets. I've had my best luck with Kaytee Rainbow Exact Cockatiel pellets, but every breeder and bird person has their favorite. Mine seem to like the shapes and colors as well as the flavor of the Kaytee brand pellets. You convert Daddy Bird onto the pellets in the reverse order you took him off of the seed. With the pellets, since he's eating fruit and veggies, I'd give him a seperate dish of nothing but pellets and WATCH to make sure he's eating them. Nekton MSA is a calcium supplament and is the one four of my certified Avian vets have recommended I use. That's available at wwwdrsfostersmith.com. I do hope this helps. Every breeder will have his or her own suggestions, it's best to use all and find out what works best with you. I can tell you that my tiels have their blood work and exams once a year by a certified avian vet and the above recipe is safe and healthy for them with the addition of pellets, fruit, veggies and a little seed in their diet. Good luck. Oh! Baby bird formula!!! www.drsfostersmith.com carry formula. I've always used Kaytee brand. The company stands behind their product and about 10 years ago now they even sent me a breeding and hand feeding video. Their formula is also easy to use for an amature. Good luck! Julie

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Birds are not mammals. Only mammals have mammary glands and produce milk. Birds regurgitate their food for the babies.

I'm so sorry to hear about you hen. How is it going today?
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Try giving him some whole wheat cheerios. Our birds are cheerios junkies right now while they are feeding their babies.

Name
    Sherry
    Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss. My cockatiel Applesauce did pretty much the same thing. Just collapsed to the bottom of her cage one day, and we couldn't save her. It's such a big shock when you have no idea that your bird needs help.

Remove Ads