Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

Harrisons vs. Zupreem?

Hi,

I am currently feeding my birds on Harrisons, but the only way I can obtain it is to order it online-which carries a 3.50 (equivalent to US$7.00) carriage charge. Then there#s tax to add-which means one month's supply costs almost 12 (US$24).

Now, I don't really mind if it's the only way I can give my birds a decent feeding, but I was in a pet shop recently, only just found it (and the owner is owned by the most gorgeous blue and gold macaw!) that had Zupreem pellets on sale. Now, I don't know how much they cost, but I bet it's less than 12!

So, which are the best-Harrison's or Zupreem? I'd be interested if any of you have an opiniopn.

Thanks!

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Baby Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lyn's Avatar
    Name
    Lyn
    Thanks

Re: Harrisons vs. Zupreem?

I am sure a lot of people will say Harrisons is best as it has no additives etc., but I think there is a natural Zupreem pellet you can buy that at least doesn't have all the artificial colours added to it like the Fruitblend has.

My gcc will only eat Zupreem Fruitblend so I don't have any choice but to buy that. The way I see it is at least it's better than a seed only diet even if it isn't the number one choice.

I can't even get Zupreem at my petstore and have to pay 10 a bag plus 3.75 p&p a bag so I try to stock up on food when I want to buy more toys.
    Peaches Green Cheek Conure
    Mango Lutino Cockatiel, flew away September 13 2006

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

I (and many other people) think that both are good; you can get natural, no-additive or flavored versions of both. I personally use Zupreem.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Harrisons:
    Ingredients: *Ground Yellow Corn, *Ground Hulless Barley, *Ground Hulled Millet, *Ground Soybeans, *Ground Shelled Peanuts, *Ground Shelled Sunflower Seeds, *Ground Lentils, *Ground Rice, *Ground Green Peas, *Ground Alfalfa, *Ground Toasted Oat Groats, Chia Seed, Calcium Carbonate, Montmorillonite Clay, Ground Dried Sea Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Sea Salt, Spirulina, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
    *CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

Zupreem Natural:
    Ground corn, soybean meal, cracked wheat, wheat germ meal, vegetable oil, sucrose, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, iodized salt, DL-methionine, choline chloride, ascorbic acid, natural mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, citric acid, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin D3, vitamin K, vitamin B12, thiamine, niacin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, folic acid, biotin.

In my opinion, they are both a good choice- I'd go with what you are comfortable with and what your bird will eat. My birds wouldn't eat the Harrisons.

It is important to remember that whatever brand you choose you will need to supplement with fresh veggies, a good quality seed mix, grains, fruits and legumes.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

I agree both are good.I would chose the natural Zupreem over the fruity(to much artificial dyes).
    Sully loved Zupreem...unfortunately it did not agree with him,so he can't have it now.I am feeding Hagen Tropican granules which is another good choice.
    Merlin gets both Zupreem natural and Hagen Tropican granules,parrot sized of course

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Buddy eats Zupreem natural. I started to order Harrisons, but I think it's just too expensive, and seems to be about the same as Zupreem.

Name
    Robin
    Thanks

My birds aren't on either, but just reading through the ingredients, Harrison's is giving a wider variety. More importantly, he is covering more bases in terms of nutrients.

Just by ingredients alone, I can see why Harrison's is a more expensive product.

I am comparing the Zupreem's five ingredients of corn, soybean, wheat, wheat germ and oil -- largely grains and soybeans. Then they add calcium carbonate and vitamins.

Harrison's medley of ingredients include corn, barley, millet, soybeans, peanuts, sunflower seeds, lentils, rice, peas, alfalfa, oat groats, chia seed. Then he adds not only calcium carbonate, but kelp, clay, and spirulina. And then vitamins.

So I would buy the one you can afford and the one the bird eats, but I don't think they are the same at all.

But I also want to add a personal opinion: Zupreem looks like they are using cheap and easily obtainable ingredients. If I were a person just eating that, I don't think I would be very healthy at all. In fact, I can't imagine why you would feed it to your bird because it looks the equivalent of a piece of bread. Harrison's, on the other hand, is spending an effort adding a medley of grains, nuts, seeds, and beans, and I think the kelp, clay and spirulina are expensive to buy even wholesale. (ok, I got that out of my system.)
    Last edited by RobinD; 09-11-2007 at 06:45 AM.

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

I was looking for a pellet to switch to and I was thinking of Harrison's. I plan on keeping the fruity Zupreems as a treat, and using a mix of natural and Harrison's. Yes those ingredients sound great BUT I think if I can I want to get Bella most of those ingredients freshly cooked if I can. And I don't think she'll totally give up her Zupreems without a HUGE fight. Also, some of the Harrison's ingredients are seeds and things which she gets anyways. I'm still not sure although Harrison's really does sound like the best pellet. If I had the time I would make most of Bella's food but I don't so I might end up buying some Harrison's soon.

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

My birds love both the fruity Zupreem and Roundybush nibbles.
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Name
    Tammy
    Thanks

It seems like Zupreem is definitely a better option than seed... if it's affordable, more easily accessible, and your babies will eat it; then it's worth a shot!
    RIP My Beautiful Percy
    October 2004 - September 2011

Egg's Cracking... crayontree741's Avatar
    Thanks

My bugs dont have a preference-- they eat target brand millet
    My Flock--

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Sarah
    Thanks

I agree they are both good.

One thing I like about Zupreem is that (for me at least) it is more readily available in local pet stores.

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

That's the reason I keep my birds on a mix of more expensive/harder to obtain pellets like Harrison's and TOP; and Zupreem which is more affordable and easier to get.
    I agree, it's great to be able to run down to a local pet store in a pinch, and get something pretty nutritious that your fids are used to.