Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Male and Female w/o breeding?

Does anyone keep a male and female cockatiel together without them breeding? I have a female gray I adopted from a pet store a couple months ago (not bought). The same store has another cockatiel for adoption. Its head is solid grey right now with no cheekpatches, so I assume it is a whiteface. They don't know if it is male or female. It has only been at the store about 2 months, but it seems larger than my Beatrixie. Uusally their birds come in young,

Is there a noticable size difference between males and females? If there is, and this one is the same age as mine, but bigger, I'll assume it's a male. If not, then I have to wonder if it is full grown and came in that large. If it's full grown and already gone through a molt, then it is a female, since its head is grey and not white. It also has bars under the tail.

They've been calling it a female since it came in, but they say they don't know for sure. When I went in to meet 'her,' she started making all kind of interesting noises that made me suddenly doubt that 'she' is female, and not a male. At the same time, she lives in a room with a male cockatiel and a conure, so maybe their noises inspire her to be loud. Or maybe she's just loud. Trixie gets noisy once in a while, but not as much as that one seemed to be.

Which brings me to my question... If I adopted this bird, and 'she' somehow turned out to just be a large 'he,' is there a possibility of keeping them together without having to worry about breeding? I have no interest in breeding my birds.

Thanks so much for any insight.

Egg's Cracking... michelles5424's Avatar
    Name
    denney
    Thanks

Re: Male and Female w/o breeding?

I keep males and females together, I think as long as you dont have a nesting box or anything that my seem like somewhere good to nest then you should be ok.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

That's good to hear. I honestly think it's probably a full-grown female, because of its size, but I am a little unsure. The vocalizations certainly caught me off guard, but I know that females aren't necessarily always quite, and apparently, it usually is a fairly quiet bird.

I don't have a nesting box or anything she can get inside of, and I try to limit her daylight hours to 10-12 as I've read is best to discourage nesting behaviors, etc.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Well, not nearly the responses I'd get, but that's okay. I found out that the petstore, which I was under the impression only got in babies, also gets in adults, so I'm pretty sure it's an ADult Female. If memory serves me, she looks like Belinda's Cookie (was just browsing the 'whiteface' thread again). So we'll see, I'll have to consider this.

Name
    Criss
    Thanks

Birds dont get pregnant like a hamster, dog, cat, etc. do, they mate then lay eggs. Just because they laid an egg does not mean you have to allow it to develope. You can boil it or replace it with a fake egg (available online and at some pet shops.) Leave the egg with them and after a little while they will loose interest and do something else.

There are lots of things you can do to discourage breeding, it all depends on what you want to do anything can work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Ah, I understand the way it 'works,' thank you But just the same, I don't have any interest in putting a female's body through the work of producing eggs, etc. if that makes sense.