Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

I'm a work in progress Brand New Egg Shakeyourtailfeather's Avatar
    Name
    Corina
    Thanks

Unhappy Toppers behavior issues :(

Maybe I've done something wrong and now Topper thinks hes the boss, i just dont know..the molting brought on new undesirable behaviors..but now when hes not ready to leave a spot or even something like go to bed, he just bites me like a bird gone mad, I can just be petting him and he'll start biting me, so lately when he does it i tell him no thats not nice and i put him immediately in his cage, but then he seems to get angry and he takes his cage door in his beak and he shakes it and says TOPPER..step up step up step up.. i know he wants me to get him out. He acts like my 14 year old nephew actually LOL..but ..is this normal.. or does he think hes the boss for some reason? I can't really think of anything ive done wrong, but maybe i did without realizing it contributed to this behavior, he bangs his cage alot when i put him in there, and hes not in there much, he spends a good part of the day and evening out..maybe because of that he doesnt think he belongs in his cage at all.. im thinking of getting him a cockatiel friend.. He's totally quiet when covered at night..i tell him good night and cover him and not a peep comes out of that cage.. i keep thinking if i keep returning him when he does these things and ignore him that he'll get it and stop. Maybe???

Name
    MK
    Thanks

Re: Toppers behavior issues :(

My tiels went through that fussy phase too. I can't exactly remember what I did...I think it was much like what you're doing. When they got to be naughty I locked them up...sometimes even covered the cage if they screamed. I was very careful to try to be clear in what I was doing and give them some verbal cue (like you're doing, by saying "that's not nice").

And you say he acts like your 14 yr old nephew...Topper's is fairly young, right? So these would be his "teenage" years.

I do think it's terribly funny that he talks when he's mad. If it wasn't such a serious situation I would about die laughing if my tiels did that.

I'm a work in progress Brand New Egg Shakeyourtailfeather's Avatar
    Name
    Corina
    Thanks

Wink Re: Toppers behavior issues :(

sometimes me and my husband do laugh..we just look at him then each other and we cant help laugh.. He knows what step up means..that he gets picked up.. if hes somewhere playing and he wants me..he says topper step up topper step up and he lifts his leg up..then starts doing his i want my mommy call... and he knows what come here means too.. he bangs on his cage and says come here come here..but these are things I've said to him and trained him to do..guess he thinks I should be trained as well well i didnt train him to bang on his cage LOL just to come here.. Topper makes us laugh alot with his antics.. I don't know how we ever got along without him..hes the cutest ever!! and smart..

Name
    MK
    Thanks

Re: Toppers behavior issues :(

It would be really really neat to have a tiel that talks that much!!!! Our house is very quiet, but if it wasn't I think Davy would learn a lot more. It is funny to be in the middle of dinner and someone say something funny, we all laugh and Davy joins in with "good tiel! good tiel! good tiel!". LOL