Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Out Of Cage Time

Name
    Dana
    Thanks

Out Of Cage Time

I have just gotten Daisy three days ago and it has seemed I have spoiled her rotten already. She really does not like being in her cage when I am around, she is just happy to travel around the house on my shoulder , she loves to sit and watch tv with me..she gets very nervous when she has to go back in the cage and will do anything to avoid it. She has a gym to play on and she has absolute no interest in that either, she only cares to be held.

Is this normal cockateil behavior? As I said in my introduction thread I had taken her from my sick friend and she said she never gave that much attention to her, could this be harmful to Daisy all this attention?

I sit her food dish on my lap, so I know she is getting food and water.

Aperture Test Subject Teenager shiney mew's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Out Of Cage Time

While it's great that she likes to be with you, she has to learn to entertain herself in her cage. You can't have her with you 24/7, after all.

Name
    Dana
    Thanks

No, true. After all I do work. I guess I was trying to ask for suggestions to what I could do when I take her out, she will NOT leave my arm. She is nasty to anyone who tries to take her from me, she bit my son today pretty hard. He is ok though. I tried setting her down on her gym she will just run right back up my arm.

Name
    Dana
    Thanks

So much for a suggestion... I wont waste my time asking any questions. It seems people only answer to people's post that have been here much longer.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Robin
    Thanks

Don't be so hard on people here you only waited 4 hours between those posts. You posted the first question at 6:39 pm and the second at 10:16 pm. People may not be on at the same time you are. I have not been here very long myself but the people here have always been very helpful to new people as well as the people who have been here longer.That was really uncalled for.
    Robin

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Hi Dana. I think giving her attention is a good thing, but as you know, she needs to learn that she can be with you but not on you sometimes, and she also needs to learn to play by herself. She obviously has bonded with you, which is wonderful! You can try to wean her off of being a 'velcro bird' by getting her to experience fun stuff to do or eat when you are there but when she is not on you.

Put some millet or her favorite food on the gym and then place her near the treat. Stay right next to it, maybe reading or doing something, but not directly interacting with her physically. You can talk or sing to her though. She'll probably jump or fly off the gym and run up onto you, but put her back and repeat this 'exercise' a few times.

If you are watching TV or are on the computer, put a non-raveling towel somewhere close where she can sit and put a treat and a toy or two. Talk or sing to her while you are doing the activity, but don't allow her onto your shoulder. Again, this will take some practice for her to relax and enjoy being with you and not on you all the time.
    Practice several times each day to reinforce what she is learning.

If she won't get off of you, do the 'earthquake shake' which is shaking your arm/shoulder until she loses her balance and then gently setting her down on the gym or towel.

She won't want to leave you, but if you do this consistently and repetitively she should respond within a week or two. Since you will have her many, many years, working with her to learn this will be very worthwhile for both of you.

Oh, and regarding getting questions answered, sometimes it does take time -- which can be 5 minutes or 5 hours, before you get an answer. Everyone here kind of comes and goes at different times, so don't feel slighted if you don't get an answer right away.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Normal

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

I have heard people say you shouldn't let your bird sit on your shoulder because it makes them aggressive but I do it anyway. Sometimes they don't want to come down off your shoulder but I think it's worth it to have a little buddy who wants to be with you all the time. If they go to the middle of your back to avoid being put back, very slowly back up into a wall, the bird will have to run back up to your shoulder and you can easily get her down. If she's nippy, just be firm and say "Step Up" and put her back in her cage.

Name
    Sheila
    Thanks

sammie loves to sit on our shoulders or heads lol i always move her back to my shoulder since i dont want her pooping in my hair heehee...and she will move to the middle of my back if i try and get her to put her back in her cage and she isnt ready...so what i do is just sit on the couch and she will usually jump off and then i pick her up on my finger and put her back in..maybe try having her in her cage and sitting next to the cage. then maybe she will learn that its not so bad in her cage. just a thought. im new to cockatiels as ive only had sammie since may 24th this year. GOOD LUCK!

Remove Ads