Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

I don't know what Buddy wants

Buddy has taken to doing the chirp, chirp thing in the mornings. It's that calling chirp, then the mad chirp follows. She doesn't calm much when I talk to her, and won't come out. I have no clue what she wants unless she's calling to my husband. He sleeps late on the weekends. Yesterday she calmed some after he got up, and she came out of the cage and flew the direction he went after he got his coffee.
    I'm amazed how far she can fly with the wing clip she got, but she doesn't get any lift. I'm going to try a different Vet next time. I wasn't real thrilled with the one I saw because they wouldn't let me go back with Buddy. They probably don't want anyone to know how simple it is to clip wings. :-) Not that they charge a lot. It was only $18.00.

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Re: I don't know what Buddy wants

I don't know what vets normally charge for a wing clip as we do our own, but $18.00 seems to be very high. At our Parrot Club meetings you can get a wing clip for $3.00, a nail trim for $3.00 or both at the same time for $5.00.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Could Buddy be calling for a mate? She's almost 6 mo. old. Or is this just what adult birds do? If so, I'm not sure I can take it. :-(

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

It sounds like it is a contact call...and that's what budgies and all birds do. Birds make noise...they chirp, they sing they call out. A quiet bird is an unhappy bird...especially budgies. If you wanted a pet that was not going to make any noise, you should not have gotten a bird.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Birds greet the morning with lots of noise! Like "It is great to be alive!!"
    Sully chirps,squawks and chitters all day long.If he stopped then I would worry

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Buddy has been chirping all along, but not like this. It's a different call. I think maybe she was sleepy. I put her back in her sleeping room, but didn't cover the cage, and she has quieted down some. Buddy usually sings in the mornings, and chrips some, but never this loud or long. She has been up later than she should have been the last couple of nights. I'll have to watch that, or let her sleep later in the morning.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Sully gets REALLY loud at times.Like "ACK,ACK,ACK,ACK,ACK,ACK,ACK"Nothing to worry about
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 07-15-2007 at 08:42 AM.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

I agree... Buford and Loki generally make noise all day long, but they do have 'outbursts' where they get very loud... sometimes for only a few minutes, sometimes much longer. It's just part of being a bird, and something you learn to accept.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

She is a little quiter now. remember the breeder saying her bird chirp a lot in the morning, then get a little quiter in the afternoon. I suppose she's just being normal. :-)

Tailfeather
    Thanks

And you are a worried momma,the best kind

~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

I have heard that in th mrnings, budgies call to the other members of their flockm(that's you and your husband.) Maybe she WAS waiting for your husband to reply. Sort of the budgie way of sayng "'I'm stll hre is everyone else?" In the morning, mine cheep about every 30 seconds till I wake up and they hear me talking. Then they do a more demandng chepo, but less frequent....I take it as "get up you lasy ********, I want the cage uncoverd, the windows pulled, my seeds dehusked and my water and newspaper changed and iI want it now!":LOL:

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Hehe, yeah, mine too... They also might make those contact calls more often in the evenings, as well.

Earth-Mother Egg's Cracking... sporkula's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

My birdies aren't usually too loud with the contact calls, but what quiets them up a lot is if I respond with a loud "chirp" back to them. We do this back and forth a few times and then they're happy. Maybe Buddy is just waiting to hear a response from your husband.

And speaking of wing clips, I was charged $22 for each bird, and the tech did a terrible job (this vet also over-charges for everything I think, the annual exam was $168 for each bird, no discount available when you bring in more than one...is that normal?). Perhaps your vet can show you how to do it, and then you'll be able to clip when and how much you need to.
    R.I.P. Peanut (1996-2005) Lucky (1998 - 2008 ) and Snowflake (2005-2008 )

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

$168. for a bird exam?? I don't pay that much for each of my dogs, and that includes fecal, and one vaccination. I think it was about $75.00 or less.

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sporkula View Post
    the annual exam was $168 for each bird, no discount available when you bring in more than one...is that normal?)
    YEOUCH! our birdies are getting their well-bird visit on friday-24.01 (about US$48.02) each. Methinks you are being well overcharged!

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Depends where you live.Here(Atlantic Canada) it costs me $145 for well bird exam,fecal smear,basic blood work.If more extensive blood work is needed price increases.But $145/year is worth it to have healthy birds I spend more than that on coffee Priorities.

~Mignon McLaughlin

Earth-Mother Egg's Cracking... sporkula's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Thanks

I agree, you really can't put a price on it when it comes to health. But when I brought my birds back from their $1000 trip to the vet last month (which included the $168 exam, hospitalization, four-times daily injections, several blood tests, and four prescriptions to take home), they honestly looked worse than I had ever seen them, and it just kept going downhill. I was worried, broke, and had no car, so I went to an in-town vet. He coached me through some lifestyle and diet changes for the birds, and they are in better shape than I have seen in over a year. And after three visits, he hasn't charged me for an exam or gram stain (I have been very surprised every time!). So I wonder if price really indicates the quality of the vet. Still, I am prepared to pay what I need to keep them happy and healthy.
    R.I.P. Peanut (1996-2005) Lucky (1998 - 2008 ) and Snowflake (2005-2008 )