Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Agressive budgie

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Agressive budgie

This is my first posting.. and first budgie!! Please help!!
    I have had my budgie for about 6 weeks, and to start with he was quite happy to sit on my finger, with some millet bribery, but, in the last couple of weeks he has become very timid and backs away/flaps around when I try to put my hand in the cage. When I do get close he aggressively pecks in my direction. In his cage he seems very happy and has become very chatty to 2 of his toys. I have read a couple of messages on the board, but am still unsure of what to do. He has no mirrors, and I have taken his bell away as it was very shiny and I was worried that he could see his reflection in it. This hasn't helped. Any advise.. Pleeease!!!

beejstar

re

I don't know why your little guy could be acting this way but I find that if I talk softly to my budgie for a while his attitude warms up a bit and he is much more responsive to me when I put my hand in the cage to pick him up. Hopefully it is just a phase your budgie is going through and maybe he has learned that you are scared of him and through his actions you leave him alone. Maybe try not reacting to his aggressive behavior and just keeping your hand in his cage while he has a temper tantrum and when he settles down attempt to pick him up again. I Don't know if this will help or not but I am sure much great advice will follow. One of the best things I have learned from this website is patience is soooo important. Good luck!

budgie pal

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Re: re

He maybe having his first moult, and all those itchy pin feathers on his head maybe making the little guy cranky, If you can stroking his head for him will really make him happy.

Speak slowly and gently to him as said.

Hand feed him nice veggies and fruit to him.

He may be in breeding mode which can make em aggressive (im not sure how old they need to be to breed )

Can you think of anything you may have accidental done to scare him or anything outside.

Lave a nice soft telly or radio on to relaxe him.

and good luck

sgosh

Re: re

It seems your bird has developed a fear of you, and hands, but I'm sure you did nothing to promote that. However, something must have happened to cause him to revert to such "wild" behaviour.

Does anyone else in your family have access to your bird when you aren't around? Any small children?

All the advice given seems right to me, by the other posters here. Just be patient, gentle, and talk to him very softly before trying to get him used to your hand again.

I'm sure he'll come around, as he was already becoming tame, once already.

Best of luck, and please keep us posted.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for all your quick replies, in answer to some of the questions raised, other family members do have access to 'pingo', but i'm the only one trying to tame him and I can't think of anything i've done to upset him. As I'm from England we recently had fireworks night here (I think you call them firecrackers, forgive me if i'm being a bit ignorant here!) maybe the bangs worried him a bit. What i'm quite concerned about is that I can't get him out of his cage for a fly around at the moment as I know I will have real trouble getting him back in, and I don't want to aggravate the situation further by chasing him around. Is this going to make him worse, and more cranky?

therealplutogirl

Re: hi

hi

don't worry. i'm the only one in my family that is trying to tame my new budgie (im new at this) but
    once my sister had her hand in the cage and my budgie had a fit and flew out! lol! i laughed.
    anyways, i can pet her still and shes still the little annoying brat that was in there before lol.she isn't
    ready to be out yet.

be patient. (thats wierd of me saying that because my patience for my budgie is hanging by a
    thread.jk)

someone told me, that if your budgie does bite you, act like you don't care because birds are like
    children and if they find out that you don't like something they keep doing it. so keep your hand in
    that cage weither your little feathered friend likes it or not. ^_^ good luck and listen to the rest of
    these awsome peoples advise.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Re: Agressive budgie

Thanks for that! It's nice to know i'm not alone! I have tried keeping my hand in the cage as he pecks toward me, and this has helped, I can now feed him a treat without him going for me, I just think that, like the great advice i've be given,I have to be patient for a while before I try and get him on my finger again! Still love him to bits tho!!!Just feel that I was goin backward with him for a while! This website is a true lifeline!!! Huge thanks to all...

churion

Re: Agressive budgie

That same thing happened to my budgie. He seems to be calmer when he can't see his cage.

Remove Ads