jayesh
    Thanks

male cockatiel age for breeding

hey just wondering what the youngest age a male cockatiel can breed from

Name
    Joey
    Thanks

Re: male cockatiel age for breeding

I think 10 months is fine for a male....thats when I ussuallu breed mine, by the time they are done raising a clutch and incubating they are a year old. Some people might disagree because they have to be mature but if your paitent enough than you should wait until 12.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

The earliest a male cockatiel should breed would be 12 months. They can mate sooner but ten months is too young to breed and can cause problems such as infertile eggs and poor parenting. Some males will develop slower than others so it is better to error on the side of caution than to rush the natural development process.

Keep in mind that females mature at 15-18 months and to breed them sooner can cause egg binding and other serious problems.

Breeding is something to be taken under careful consideration and I hope you will do a lot of research before even considering breeding birds. Please click on to Bird Information (upper left corner of page) for a few basic articles that discuss breeding.

Below are a few links that may be helpful to you:

http://www.letstalkbirds.com/cockatiels.htm
    "Cockatiels become sexually mature between 6 and 9 months of age. You should not breed cockatiels until the male and female are at least 12 months old, with a preferable cockatiel breeding age of 18 months. "

http://bananariveraviariesindex.home...ockatiels.html

"Breeding age:
    Although Cockatiels are capable of producing and raising young prior to 18 months of age it is detrimental to their health and well being and that of their young prior to 18 months.
    Consider this:
    6 month Cockatiel =12 yr old human child.
    12 month old Cockatiel =15 yr old human child.
    18 month old Cockatiel= 20 yr old young adult. "

http://www.asabirds.org/Cockatiels.htm

"Cockatiels will mature at about 8 months of age, but it is best to wait until they are at least a year of age to start breeding them. "
    Last edited by Lovebirdfan; 07-23-2007 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Added links

Name
    Michelle
    Thanks

Murphy, our male who is a daddy right now, is a year and a half and he's a great dad. I don't know if he would have been sooner. He still seemed a bit babyish himself until he was a year. But clearly he's responsible at his age now. I don't know the rule-of-thumb for ages to breed but based on Murphy's experience I think a year and a half is perfect. The babies are 4 weeks now so that means he was a year and 4 months when they mated.

Name
    Beckie
    Thanks

Just out of curiousity.....I wonder how old they are in the wild when they start to breed. Certainly there has been studies done on this. Any Aussies out there know?

Positively Beautielful! Chick Janeeva's Avatar
    Name
    Rebecca
    Thanks

In the wild I think it's around 5-8 months or something to that line. I like to wait until my males are two. I have one cock that didn't even come around in maturity until last month when he turned two. I would never have thought to breed him then. If breeding at a year old I would decide if they are responsible enough to handle it. Some are complete goofs and don't have a clue what they're supposed to do until those instincts kick on a year or so later.
    Tiels: Janeeva (Lutino Pied), Rahz (Cinnamon), Peter (Pearl), Micah (Grey), Kiz (Cinnamon Whiteface)
    Budgies: Sprite (Light Green Recessive Pied), Rosella (Violet Opaline)
    Equines: Ramblin' Rose (Running QH), Life's Shadow (Appendix)
    Felines: Nicki (Silver Tabby), Eliza (Maine Coon) and Orion (Calico)
    Canines: Asher (Border Collie/Heeler)

Crele Old English Game Bantams-
    American Game Bantams-

Name
    Beckie
    Thanks

My WF Pearl male, Reggie decided that he was old enough at 9 months, his mate Ricki was 2 years old. I was concerned and thought about separating them. After talking to his breeder she said that sometimes when they pick their own mates and decide it is time that they make the best parents. I have found this to be true with these two. My other pair, Chuckles was 2 years old and Delilah was 18 months. They stuggled with their first clutch and after losing a few chicks I pulled the last surviving one for hand feeding. The parents have since improved but still are not as good of parents as Reggie and Ricki. Guess it just depends on the individuals. They all mature at a different rate. Just like people! In a captive situation we have some control over when they breed. In the wild it seems as though they start breeding as soon as the hormones kick in. I would be willing to bet there there is a high chick mortality rate because of this but the number of Cockatiels in the wild must outweigh the loss.
    Sorry so long, I just found this interesting.

Banned Five Eggs Laid!
    Name
    Nathan
    Thanks

hmm very interested post! hehe

I was just wondering if kwfids... we could get some new piccies? I know i always ask, im sorry! But i love your guys lol Have you breed them again? Or not since your last time with Mikey, Princes, and them...?

Diegos 9 months old now.. and he is pretty mature now that i think about it! He is pretty mellow, and laid back... but he is hormonal now, and needs a lot of attention from me. So even if he had a girlfreind of age to breed... im not sure if he would be good or not this young. Im thinking he would mate properly and incubate well, but i could see him getting bored of being with a wife and babies lol

Kirby

Name
    Joey
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kwfids View Post
    Just out of curiousity.....I wonder how old they are in the wild when they start to breed. Certainly there has been studies done on this. Any Aussies out there know?
    Like Janeeva said 5 - 8 months, they must breed that young because as soon as the wet season hits. They go, its the only time they can raise chicks when there are abudent supplies of food and a nice young healthy flock of birds, with plenty of water and the right climate.

My friend starts his males at 6 months and he is successful...but I wouldn't advise you to

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I am going to post this again because I think it is very important to realize the dangers of breeding birds before they are mature. This information is provided by experts in breeding including the Avicultural Society of America.
    The earliest a male cockatiel should breed would be 12 months. They can mate sooner but ten months is too young to breed and can cause problems such as infertile eggs and poor parenting. Some males will develop slower than others so it is better to error on the side of caution than to rush the natural development process.

Keep in mind that females mature at 15-18 months and to breed them sooner can cause egg binding and other serious problems.

Breeding is something to be taken under careful consideration and I hope you will do a lot of research before even considering breeding birds. Please click on to Bird Information (upper left corner of page) for a few basic articles that discuss breeding.

Below are a few links that may be helpful to you:

http://www.letstalkbirds.com/cockatiels.htm
    "Cockatiels become sexually mature between 6 and 9 months of age. You should not breed cockatiels until the male and female are at least 12 months old, with a preferable cockatiel breeding age of 18 months. "

http://bananariveraviariesindex.home...ockatiels.html
    "Breeding age:
    Although Cockatiels are capable of producing and raising young prior to 18 months of age it is detrimental to their health and well being and that of their young prior to 18 months.
    Consider this:
    6 month Cockatiel =12 yr old human child.
    12 month old Cockatiel =15 yr old human child.
    18 month old Cockatiel= 20 yr old young adult. "

http://www.asabirds.org/Cockatiels.htm
    "Cockatiels will mature at about 8 months of age, but it is best to wait until they are at least a year of age to start breeding them. "
    Last edited by Lovebirdfan; 07-24-2007 at 02:07 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    jayesh
    Thanks

OK thanks a lot for that information

=D

Remove Ads