where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: As the Cage Turns, or The Jerry Winger Show

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dorla
    Thanks

Question As the Cage Turns, or The Jerry Winger Show

Erdie is a ten yr old male cockatiel we've had since he was weaned, we also purchased a female (Sweety) at that time, eventually they became mates and laid a clutch of eggs, one of them hatched, (Peepers), when Erdie began to pluck Peepers' head I removed him and began to hand feed him, Sweety began to lay a new clutch of eggs and became eggbound on the second egg, she nearly died and required major surgery, as a result the vet advised she was not to breed anymore and administered shots a few times, within a year or two Erdie began to pluck himself and has continued ever since, he has been thoroughly examined by an avian vet and pronounced obsessive compulsive, his plucking is severe but he doesn't mutilate.
    The problem I am trying to solve is that Erdie lost his mate last fall and has since become fixated on his "daughter-in-law" Della, who is Peeper's mate of 7 years, the vet advised me to get a hen for Erdie to mate with so I bought "Patti", a mature and willing hen who is nearly identical to Della, Erdie rejects her, is mean to her, and continues to fixate on Della, picking fights with Peepers and generally bullying everyone else in the community as well as biting the humans that approach. Della and Peepers breed often and when she began to scream all day I relented and gave her a breeding box, she has since laid no less than 16 eggs, raised one baby(Peanut) who is now being weaned, and she has started a new clutch. Erdie stands outside the box peeking in all day at Della and bullying anyone who comes near, I have 2 cages and six birds total, one small cage attached to the breeding box for Peepers and Della, and one large one for everyone else. If I remove the nesting pair to another room they scream back and forth for each other so I keep them close to each other.

I am preparing to purchase a cage for Erdie and remove him to my mothers house alone for a month or so, then maybe reintroduce Patti to him and see if he is receptive, then maybe leave them there together for a month or so to bond before bringing them home and back into the community. My Mom lives nearby and we will see him often, daily, in fact, do you think this is a good plan? and have you seen this sort of drama very often? I'm sorry this is so long I just wanted to give a thorough background, thank you for your time,
    Dorla

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Re: As the Cage Turns, or The Jerry Winger Show

poor erdie it's so sad when they loose they're mates

i have heard of stuff like this happening before but i can't really say for certain what you should do. In my opinion if he's obsessive compulsive keeping him in a high-stress state 100% of the time (since he wants Della for himself but can't have her=sexual frustartaion) probably isn't the best thing for him. I would say that if your mother is willing to spend as much time with him as he's used to getting at your house, plus maybe a little bit more since he'll be alone, then it should be ok to move him there until he settles down a bit. i don't know tho since i've personally never had this type of problem before...hopefully someone else can be more help to you

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dorla
    Thanks

thanks, I'm hoping he will be so desperate for bird company that he will be glad to see Patty and forget all about Della!

Thanks

Wow, what birdie drama. I don't know much about the dynamics of cockatiel love triangles but there are people on here who will be able to give you some good advice. Hopefully they'll be along soon.

(Cute thread title, btw!)
    - Aviennda, Bunji and Henry (Meyer's and Senegal)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dorla
    Thanks

thanks, the drama has kept me quite busy as i like to leave them out of the cage alot, i was getting pretty worn out from gathering them up out of the floor, Della kept running off in search of nesting places with both males scurrying along behind her bickering over who was her rightful mate! Then my sons bird Josephine was visiting and she went up on the corner of the cage and assumed the position, Erdie took her up on her offer, then turned around and treated her like a one-night stand! (She's a beautiful pied) she went into the nesting box I offered them and he went in there and kicked her out! Then my son found a male grey at the pet store who was badly in need of a rescue, he was the most aggressive bird I have ever seen, & had apparently been returned by whoever purchased him last, my son patiently worked with him in spite of the bloody fingers he received, and this bird even attacked his face! He is really coming along well though, he and Josephine have already mated, we jokingly called him satan for a few days but we are now considering Nemo because he has a bad wing. I'm sure he was abused by the previous owner, the girls at the pet shop were flabbergasted that my son could handle him at all, and although I paid a rediculous price (more than any of my other birds) for him I was rather happy because I don't think he would have had much of a future, it was purely a mercy purchase! (He is totally smitten with Josephine)

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Hah! I loved your story. I too, have birdy love triangles, and then, triangles within triangles. It's rather sick. Two brothers in love with the same hen. One brother won her over and had a family with her, but the other brother still sings to her and loves her from afar, even though he too, has his own mate. Then the dark horse has fallen for the other brother's mate and is singing to her.. BUT, I caught him singing to my lil "helen of troy hen" the other night while my spurned brother-bird was courting his rightful mate. Go figure. :::Sigh::: Cold shower time for the tiels.

Now, as for your situation: I did notice one thing that I wanted to ask you about. Your one hen has laid an AWFUL lot of eggs. Please rest her soon or she'll become eggbound. It sounds to me like there's a bunch of hormones flying all over the place there. Perhaps removing poor Erdie from the flock for a while may help. But in the meantime, if you put your other birds through a little hormone therapy, it might also lessen some of the effects all the mating calls and chirps are having on him.

I know all the baby peeps, static cries and etc. from the baby birds really threw the rest of my flock into a conundrum when Patchie and Silver had their clutch at my house. And I don't know if you've ever noticed it, but the "little sounds" a mated pair make when they are communicating back and forth about this or that nesting spot, etc... that too has an effect on the flock. It sounds like your whole flock is hormone city. Perhaps reading the articles in the article section about hormones may help and then, when Erdie comes home, things might be a bit calmer for him? Just a suggestion. good luck!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Dorla
    Thanks

Thanks, I will look into that, trying to make her rest has been an exercise in futility, she is sitting on three eggs now, this is it for this year, she will have to go for a shot if she continues on like this. Erdie is doing well over at my Mom's, I'm considering moving Patty in with him sometime soon to see how he feels about it.