where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

World Ruler in the making Chick Edd's Avatar
    Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

Exclamation Help with behavior issues

hi guys,
    at the moment flannigan is hand tame and will stepup on your finger, but thats about it, she doesent seem to play or like to cuddle that much. I want to make flannigan more like shes happy and playful, more active and cuddly.

Whenever i approach flannigan with a finger about chest height shes always prepared to bite me, evem when she steps up she gives you a bite. I think this is because of malnutrition and the fact she doesent get that much handling for about 14 weeks when im not there. and because she is in an aviary with a male mate. The malnutrition is that she has only ever eaten seed which i know is unhealthy and im converting her to harrisons pellets and im getting a mineral block, cuttlefish ill feed her veggies and fruits etc.

So i want her to become a little more playful, she just isnt that active and she doesent like being cuddled most of the time i just get bitten badly. So can anybody help me?

Ed

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Help with behavior issues

If she is in an aviary and has a male mate, it will be more difficult to get her to bond with you. But it is possible. She needs to trust you, and see you as a flock member, not a predator.

You will need to work with her one on one, with no distractions. Try taking her into a smaller room, like the bathroom (cover any mirrors, secure doors and window). For the first few days, just let her walk or fly around, with you sitting and talking to her, maybe reading a book, bringing toys in that she can play with.
    Encourage her to come over to you and try to get her to step up or just sit on your leg while you feed her a treat. If she keeps biting you, use a dowel to get her to step up so the 'biting finger' element is eliminated. Do this once or twice a day at 15 minute intervals. Keep this up for at least a couple of weeks, gradually getting her to interact with you more. This will build a bond and trust.

If she isn't active, does she have enough toys to play with, swings to use, any food to forage, music on?

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

yeah she has swings, chew toys and other toys and i do fill miniature pots with marbles and some seed so she can forage. I think though that it might be because we have 2 pairs of lovebirds in there and maybe she is not confident to settle properly, ive been thinking of a divider and i will be getting some of the stainless steal mesh pretty soon.

Ed

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

thanks very much karen i tried what you said today bar that i spent the entire day with her but she never bit me and the worst i got was probably just the little nibbles, so that was great. She let me stroke her, scratch her, she let me open her wing span but she doesent like being scratched under her wings. So thankyou, she seemed a lot more explorative today and ive been thinking of seperating her from her mate i think

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I think you may need to separate her. Some birds just do better that way. I am glad she is responding so quickly-- that's rewarding and encouraging.
    I think you and Flannigan are on your way to having a great bond of friendship-- just take it slowly and let her come to you. I am very excited that she is letting you give scritches-- trust is there. Good for you!