Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3rd budgie? - UPDATE

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Talking 3rd budgie? - UPDATE

Hi, all... I've been wanting a 3rd budgie for a while, but I wasn't sure how many of you have had experience with having 3 - I know Belinda and Erin have, but I'd like to get a bunch of feedback.

I'm pretty certain Buford is in fact a female... she's noisy and makes many different noises like a male would, but here cere, though a bright blue, has distinctive white rings. I just call her a him out of habit, hehe.

Anyway, that leaves me with two lovely little hens... if I were to get a 3rd budgie, should it be male or female, and would they all be able to live in a cage together, or should one have a cage to itself? Is it even a good idea to have 3 budgies? Any help would be appreciated,

**********************************UPDATE********** ****************************************

Hehe, everyone gave GREAT advice, and even though I said I'd be waiting on getting another bug, when I was at work yesterday, we had some wonderul new budgies in the back waiting to go out onto the floor... well, I walked in to give everyone fresh food/water/bedding and whatnot, and lo and behold: the most beautiful little dark eyed clear yellow girl I have ever seen... I knew I wanted to wait, but I knew I had another cage at home for if in the future they didn't all get along, and I knew as soon as she was out on the floor, she would be gone in a heartbeat... I asked my boss if they were able to be up for sale yet, and he just laughed and said yes...

Anyway, kinda impulse, but how could you resist such beauty? She's currently nameless, but a total sweetie... I got her yesterday and just left her to get used to the new surroundings all day, and today started working with her... she's very young, and such a sweetie! Already takes millet from the hand, and she's sit on my finger inside the cage for a bit... we're working on 'step up' and getting her to stay on my finger outside of the cage.... She let's me give her scritches ALL OVER including under the wing and on her back!

Hehe, she and Buford and Loki have been calling back and forth to each other all morning... aw, the joys of Quarantine.

Anyway, here's some pics, not the best because they're from my webcam, but my real camera is in the shop... I might be able to get some better ones today afer work...

I hope you all enjoy!

I just wish the pictures better captured her vibrant yellow! It's such a bold color - haha, I saw her and immediatly thought of Big Bird, the IRN! Better pictures later, I hope.
    Last edited by mighty mouse; 08-13-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Re: 3rd budgie?

If you get a male he may end up pairing off with one of your females leaving the other one lonley.

Name
    Georgia
    Thanks

well, be careful!
    Whatever sex you may choose might result in 2 birds pairing off as friends or mates, and it may leave the other budgie out!
    I think you should get a 3rd budgie, and see what happens.
    As long as you're prepared to buy another bird, or maybe sell your new bird if they dont get along.
    Good luck!
    Lots of love & kisses,
    Sparkie and Georgia. ox

Thanks

I'm talking down the line a bit, it wouldn't be for a couple of months. If I even do, I'm just playing with the idea right now - a lot depends on funding, generally, I put paying bills and rent and groceries before buying another pet, hehe.

Name
    lee
    Thanks

i just got one today lol.. i got myself a green dominant pied.. im thinking its a female because the cere is pink with white rings around the nostril

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

I don't know what to tell you. I have often thought of adding another as well. I would get another male for sure. I am partial to the boys. ;0) Kiwi and Kokomo get along so well though that I'd hate to upset that balance so for now I will just stick with the two of them. It is tempting though! ;0)
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

i'm wanting another keet as well. mina and oliver are bonded and chirpa kinda seems like a third wheel! i love males, so i'd def get a male if i get one.

if you have two and they get along fine, honestly, i'd stick with that. you know what they say about threes...
    Mateo (cockatiel), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet), WeeWoo (parakeet) and Peri (parakeet).

Name
    Estella
    Thanks

I had two hens to start out with, they were happy with eachother, shredded anything shreddable in their cage (including stuff that could be considered a nest), no broodiness/eggs for a good year. As soon as I got a third bird (different room, all that fun stuff) they decided they wanted to be broody, went through the whole process (stood on eachothers' backs, layed eggs, even shared sitting. It may have been because the new bird was male though. I kept 3 in a 18"hX18"wX30"long "finch flight" cage, they bickered, but never too badly and they spent most of the day out of the cage.

....but you never really know until you have the bird and give it a try....if you do, I would think a hen would probably be the best, so you don't have to worry about breeding (which you're not interested in??) and be prepared to have to keep it in a separate cage if it doesn't work out.
    Love me when I least deserve it, that's when I really need it.

Thanks

No, breeding is not anything I'm wanting right now... it would be a great experience, but with classes and work, we don't have the time for it. I'd like a male in the future because of what clowns they are (we got Buford and Loki originally thinking they were males, silly us, hehe) but I didn't know if 3 hens was a very bad idea... Buford and Loki get along fairly well, but with occaisional squabbles, hehe. The more out-of-cage time they get, the better they get along.

Name
    Estella
    Thanks

The only time I try to keep a closer eye on my hen's sqabbles is when they're cere is really brown and they are hormonal, they're meaner to eachother then and pick more fights. Yeah, they're better when they get to spend the day out of the cage.
    Love me when I least deserve it, that's when I really need it.

Name
    Robin
    Thanks

I have three budgies, one female and two males. The two males are constantly vying for the female's attention, but no one gets hurt and it gives them all plenty of exercise. The only worry that I can see is if the female starts laying then she would need closer watching for egg-binding--that's how I lost the 2nd female. So I keep my eye on her cere and when it turns brown, things start to fly in there.

But a while ago I had a female budgie who became very jealous of anyone else who had a boyfriend or was laying eggs. She would rush into a nest and grab the egg or peck a hole in it.

Thanks

Re: 3rd budgie? - UPDATE

bump

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

What a cutie! So you got her yesterday?
    Any names in mind?
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

oooooooh congrats! what a beautiful little girl! i think you've got the same parakeet addiction i do. good luck with your new friend!
    Mateo (cockatiel), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet), WeeWoo (parakeet) and Peri (parakeet).

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

I really want a handfed parakeet now! I think I may talk to a few breeders around me...
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Remove Ads