Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: new Cockateil

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

new Cockateil

Hello everyone i am new here, i have a new 'Teil named fess. This is my second one, my first cockateil died last month unexpectedly due to stress of moving home.
    I have afew questions or concerns and need encouragement because i love my Fess but he is so different from my first cockateil (name cockrel).Cockrel was aggressive but was tameable.
    Basically, i clipped Fess' wings and he can still fly. I got him 3 weeks ago hes about a year old, and when hes out of the cage and sitting on the curtin rail or tall furniture he will sit there for ages and not move and not sing, just sit! i whistle to him and talk to him everyday and he doesnt want to whistle. he does'nt step up on to my finger, just walks over it. He hisses at me so i know to leave him alone. On the floor he waddles fast away from me and steps over my finger its so cute but disheartening!. I think he doesnt like me,it hurts my feelings , i try to respect his space but maybe he needs more time.
    He has had 2 showers with me and i think he likes it. He lowers his head to get under neath the water and drinks the water when hes on my arm otherwise hes sitting in the corner of the shower cubicle, i have to encourage him to relax with me.He doesnt whistle in the shower, hes so quiet! I swaddle him in a nest of blankets and he lies still so i think he likes it or is he really scared?? thats the only way i can get to pet him through the blankets.
    When will Fess come to me or how do i really know if he likes me or not.?How do i know if he likes the showers he has?. Do teils like blankets to be cuddled in?? sorry for the questions but im doubting my teil loving ability!!
    I think thats about it for now. Il post pics later on

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

Re: new Cockateil

Hi welcome to TF!

Most tiels do not enjoy being covering in blankets and things of that nature. Sounds like he's enjoying the showers - just don't force him if he seems at all stressed. They usually will open their wings and dip themselves under the water. Sometimes they just sit there and close their eyes. If he appears to be avoiding it at all - he's probably not enjoying it.

Did you clip his wings yourself? He might be resenting you for that. I know some people do it themselves but my vet and breeder both suggest having someone else do it so they don't associate you with an uncomfortable or stressful experience.

How long have you had Fess? It seems he's probably new to your home if you just lost Cockrel last month (my condolences on your loss ). Can you give some background on him? Where did you get him from? Where did he spend his first year? Tiels take a while to adjust to new environments - it's stressful for them as you unfortunately learned with Cockrel. Don't push him - let him adjust on his own a while. It could take weeks or months. I know it's hard to be patient with a new pet but tiels have long life spans - you have many years left with Fess to work on taming and training

Hang around the boards here, you'll read lots of good information! Do you have any pictures of Cockrel and Fess?

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

opps, i didnt know teils dont like blankets! well i have a pic of him in one here after a shower. I will try and not do that in future and i also need to use a blanket to get him back to his cage. If there is another way i could try that too. maybe i could put the cage on the floor with the door open if he wishes to get back in for bed time and feeds. I have had him for 3 weeks, i am also thinking of getting another one but not for breedings so i have to get a same sex teil. i do believe he is a boy.
    i got him from a petstore so he is about a year old. Thanks again

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

Toweling him to put him away might also be the cause of his unhappiness with you, it's stressful for them

Maybe you could bring him to a vet to get his wings clipped?

Also, not all pairs of tiels will lay eggs. You don't necessarily have to get the same sex tiel if you eventually get another one. I would let him adjust to his new home before adding a new tiel though. Strengthen your bond with him first.

Can you post a picture? If it's a boy and over a year old we may be able to tell you for sure by seeing him. I assume the pet store told you he was a year old?