where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: cowering budgie??

Mustangin' Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks

re: cowering budgie??

Casper has been very quiet this first week, but he'll talk to Sputnik's "Pavarotti Sputnik" video at sgosh and ladysdevil's site. Mostly Casper sits on his perch and looks at himself in the mirror. He'll crouch when I have him out to talk to him, but that's it. I think it means he's still a bit unsure of his new surroundings.

beejstar

cowering budgie??

I have had my budgie (gary) for about 2 and a half weeks now and I am a little concerned! He is finger trained and does not seem to mind coming out of his cage most of the time. However he is so quiet and he does not play at all. He seems fairly relaxed most of the time but lately he has been cowering a lot. He does this mostly when he is in his cage or on top of his cage! I am not sure what this means but I am sure he does not look too happy! I love my new bugdie and I want him to happy! any suggestions!

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

Casper is new inst he so he properly is getting used to surranding but i would take out his mirror so there is only one budgie in the cage he may sulk for a week but will be more bonded to you and sing more and climb and play with more toys.

For the other person sounds like hes bored so i would keep looking for toys around house and buying toy till you find a type of toy he likes (propery have bells in/on it) and at playtime you could with him with the toy.

Ever sinse Olly (My budgie) had a mirror he jsut ate, drank and feed the mirror and watched the mirror when i took it out he was looking for the mirror and got sulky for a week then he stopped and he sings more, climbs and uses toys which keeps his mind more active.

Mustangin' Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mike
    Thanks

re: Casper's mirror

Yeah, Casper's new... I think I'm going to leave the mirror for a while, since he's going to have a first vet appointment this afternoon (which I'm sure will tick him off) and I'm going to be gone Friday night til Sunday afternoon, and one of my friends will be checking in on him, giving new food/water for the weekend. So I don't want to change the cage around too much on him while he's going through everything else.

Am I thinking correctly on this? Will the loss of the mirror be emotionally difficult at this time?

Name
    adrian
    Thanks

You dont have to take the mirror out at all its your choice.

Suppose taking it this weekend when your goin away would be stressful for him.
    Depends on Casper and his personailty when you come back you could remove the mirror and he may sulk for a week but sinse he's new he will not know the other budge too will and you will have to talk to him more and leave hands in cage so he does not feel lonely and wont stress out.

TxBudgie

Re: ...

I would definitely agree about taking out the mirror. Mirrors are not the best thing in the world when your trying to have just one budgie friend. I gave mine one and it was like he became a statue.. stopped moving around , singing, playing etc. So id say take it out. Waiting till you get back or not depends on you but id say the sooner the better.. Just my opinion.