Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: surprise!

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

surprise!

Well i went away for a week (camping) and when i came back i soon realized that nyah was preggers. it's been about three days since i've been back, and i just found out this morning that she's laid 2 eggs. She seems to be pretty good about them, and it took me a while to get her out from under my dresser. i made her her own little area where it is dark and more comfortable (and safer). She likes to roll her eggs around and preen them...it's really very adorable. Anyways i'm not sure if the eggs are fertile or not (it's too early to tell) and even though part of me doesn't want them to be (i don't have time to hand-feed babies becaue i'm starting university in like 2 weeks, i already have 4 birds and my parents will kill me if i add anymore, i won't be able to adopt them out because i've seen what ppl can do to they're pets, and most of all none of my boys are bonded to her or have any desire to help warm her eggs or take care of any babies she may have. it would unfair and unsafe for her to do it all by herself etc,,,) part of me really wants to have them. i can't bring myself to boil them and i nearly had a heart attack when i was moving them...plus when i moved them she ran off to eat and wasn't sitting on them, so i felt guilty and wamred them under a heat lamp until she came back. i'm such a loser, but i already love the two eggs, even if they aren't anything.

anyways i was wondering what i should do if they are alive! as i said my three boys want nothing to do with her or her eggs. is it safe to allow her to do it by herself provided i give her her own area with plenty of food and water? i know that usually they are able to take a break from sitting on the eggs, will it stress her out not being able to do so? i don't want her to be endangered in any way shape or form. When i rescued her she had been plucking herself and i'm afraid the added stress of sitting on them 24/7 might make her start again.

any opinions????? how can i make life easier for her.

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

Re: surprise!

If you're sure none of the males have been at her, then you shouldn't be encouraging her nesting behavior by making a nest and allowing her remain hormonal. Its good that you didn't take her eggs away from her (she needs to keep them with her, but lose interest in them on her own).. but you should not have created a nest-y environment for her. Its probable that the eggs are infertile. If they were laid five days ago (or more), you can candle them to determine this for sure, but males generally don't just hop on a female once and then abandon her. They tend to court her, and hang around to see if they can start a family. If they had no interest in her before, its likely she just laid them on her own.

With that said, she will need to get out of her hormonal phase and you shouldn't get too attached to eggs. Its not a healthy frame of mind to be in for her. Once she looses interest in THIS clutch, she could likely go on to lay more and more, and if you don't do something to get her hormones in check now, she could start having problems with calcium deficiency.

Please read this article: http://www.tailfeathersnetwork.com/b...cegglaying.php
    It has lots of information in it. It covers hens without partners who lay eggs as well as partnered hens, and gives you tips on what to do so she doesn't begin overlaying.. something cockatiels are prone to doing.

Good luck and scritches to Nyah.
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

I so wish we could s/n birds. I totally sympathize with you about not wanting to adopt out babies, because I'm pretty sure most people cannot grasp the concept of keeping a pet its entire life 15 years for a cat is hard enough for most people, so 25 years for a bird is next to impossible.

I'm NOT trashing the people on this board, but I just don't know how people can feel comfortable producing baby birds so frequently and selling them and having to trust that they'll have a healthy, happy life... and with all the cockatiels showing up in shelters, on petfinder and craigslist anymore... I just don't see that being likely for all the babies. I'm not trying to make this decision harder for you, either. I'm pretty sure my second cockatiel is a male, and now I'm worried I'll one day be in your position.

Anyway, good luck to you. And Nyah is gorgeous!

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

thanks all i did was move her into a cage (my birds are running around my room all day) so the boys wouldn't pester her and so she wouldn't go back under my dresser (she tore off a bunch of the wall down there for "nesting material"!!!).

i'm pretty sure they're not fertile, cus like you said none of them have ever been interested in her (they kind of just leave her alone) but i still can't bring myself to boiling them. if she has another clutch in the future or starts becomming a chronic egg layer i will definitely do some modification (less day light hours etc...) so that she stops. i would never ever let her put herself in danger, even if the eggs were alive. it's her first clutch so i'm going to see how things turn out, i think she's already losing interest in them which is good.

Name
    Gina
    Thanks

ya, i worked at an animal shelter for just under a year (had to quit because i'm going to university) and i've seen so much abuse and neglect that it is hard for me to trust people with animals, especailly if they are mine and i feel responsible for them. i'm not one of those ppl that want her to breed just so i can play "mom", i don't think that is a good enough reason to be breeding birds, especailly when they're are so many sicko's out there.

i'm just a huge worry wart when it comes to my birds. they're my babies and i love them more then life itself. i was just worried that if they were alive she would have such a hard time doing it herself, especailly since i'll be away most of the day and night. i honestly don't think they're fertile, i was just kinda freaking out cus i just found them. my boys are all weirdos and don't seem to like the company of ladies to much lol. none have ever flirted with her or courted her and so i'm sure that unless they raped her (lol) that she is just laying infertile eggs.

Remove Ads