Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Bird Poop Question

Name
    Jessica
    Thanks

Question Bird Poop Question

This might sound like a weird question, but its a good question too, well its kinda a question

What are all the signs of bird poop?

I've heard from alot of forums that you need to look at the birds poo to see if its sick or not. But i'm not sure what each poop looks like. I'm not asking for a VIVID picture, but just some pictures that you could understand. As in if you looked at the poo you would know what it means. Should i just look at the birds normal poo and see if it looks the same to the other poo poo's?? but what if the bird is sick already but i dont know, so i think that is its normal poo poo??

Please help

~skittlez
    + =

Spank me...I iz naughty!! Tailfeather Sir Peter of Canada's Avatar
    Name
    Peter
    Thanks

Re: Bird Poop Question

Ah...bird poop...there are those who might be saying..."I wish he had lost that picture" Although this is not a 'tiel poop, I just couldn't resist. This lovely offering that landed on our kitchen floor came from a budgie...our very own Pellet gifted us with this gem...this is a budgie egg poop...and if this isn't quite clear enough...I have more...although I've never quite figured out why .

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Bird Poop Question

Droppings
    Do you know how to evaluate a normal dropping? For psittacine and passerine birds, there are usually three parts to a dropping. The urine is the clear liquid portion of the dropping. The consumption of vegetable and fruit matter will cause increased urine due to the higher water content they contain. Unlike mammalian urine, it is usually colorless.

The next portion of a dropping consists of the urates or uric acid. This is the thicker part that is normally white or cream colored. It is the product of protein excretion from the kidneys. The last portion of the dropping is the feces. This is food waste material from the digestive tract. It can vary in color and consistency depending on the diet. Diets high in seed content usually result in black or dark green feces. Birds on formulated (pelleted) diets normally pass softer, brown feces.

All three portions are held and become mixed together in the common area inside the bird, known as the cloaca. The external opening is called the vent.

To monitor your bird's droppings, use paper towels, brown butcher paper or newspaper (don't worry-newsprint ink does not contain toxic chemicals) to line the cage. Pay close attention to the number of droppings per day, the size of the average dropping and the normal appearance of them. Once you are familiar with what is normal for your bird, you will be able to tell if there are changes that can alert you to potential problems.

There are many different manifestations of abnormal droppings. You may notice a decrease in the total number or volume of droppings, which may indicate a decrease in food consumption. Hopefully, you will also notice a decrease in the amount of food that is missing from the food dishes.

Urates may change color from white or cream to yellow or green. Urine may also change to a greenish color. This is called biliverdinuria, and is usually a sign of liver disease.

Diarrhea is not very common in psittacines and passerines. Diarrhea is an actual increase in the water content of the feces. Instead of the feces being formed and worm-like, with diarrhea, it becomes sloppy and loose. A bird with diarrhea should be examined by an avian veterinarian to determine the cause. Diarrhea can occur from an infection in the gastrointestinal tract, intestinal parasites (Giardia, roundworms) and intestinal inflammation.

Diarrhea is not the result of feeding a budgie greens, as is commonly thought. The increased water content in the greens will result in excess urine in the droppings. Often, this increased urine in the droppings may be confused with diarrhea. If there is much more liquid in the dropping, but the feces portion is still formed, that is polyuria or increased urination. Occasionally, an abnormal dropping may contain decreased fecal portion and increased urates, called polyurates.

Occasionally, there may be blood in a dropping. Blood in the urine can occur may be a sign of lead poisoning, especially in Amazon parrots. Certain infections affect the kidneys and may result in bloody urine or blood in the urates. Blood may also occur in the feces portion. Occasionally, blood may appear mixed in the entire dropping, and this be a sign of bleeding in the lower portion of the gastrointestinal tract. One of the most common reasons for frank blood in the droppings is due to a papilloma (a wart-like lesion that may be found inside the cloaca). A bird with blood in the droppings should be evaluated by an avian vet immediately.

Black, sticky droppings do not usually contain blood, as commonly thought, but actually biliverdin (a product from the liver). These blackish (dark green) droppings usually imply that a bird has been eating for a while. For example, with small birds, dark, sticky droppings are usually produced after about 24 hours of not eating, while with larger birds, these droppings are usually produced after 24 to 48 hours of not eating. If these droppings are seen the bird should be taken immediately to an avian veterinarian.

There are some normal variations to droppings. The first dropping of the day which is usually larger than the others, is one normal variation. When a hen is developing eggs, she will consume more water, and her droppings will change, especially if she is spending some time in her nest box. Birds in nest boxes often hold their droppings until they emerge, so their droppings may be larger and, perhaps, more odiferous. Baby birds on hand-feeding formula will have larger droppings with more urine.

Birds under stress may pass just urine (sometimes mixed with urates). It can be normal for a bird to just urinate when nervous or under stress. For example, when I finish examining a bird and release it from my hold, it will often pass a dropping soon after that consists of solely urine and urates. Also, certain foods will change the color and consistency of droppings. Berries are notorious for this, as are beets.

Some bacterial infections, most often those caused by one of the group of Clostridium bacteria, may cause gas bubbles to form in the droppings. A bird with gas-forming bacteria may make a sound when passing a dropping, and the droppings may appear foamy. If this type of behavior or dropping is seen, you should have your bird evaluated by a vet.

Along the same lines, if a bird is actively straining to pass droppings, you should plan to have your avian vet examine your bird as soon as possible. This can be a sign of a retained egg, papillomas, a stricture in the vent area, parasites, a foreign body or other problems.

http://www.nhahonline.com/avian.htm

Remove Ads