where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: New lovie!!

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

New lovie!!

Well, hopefully!
    He is a three year old untame male. He look's like some kind of Aussie Cinnimon to me. The current owner say's his mom is a creamino and his dad is a dutch blue. So I guess this means he carries Ino, Sobe's dad is a lutino but I guess that doesn't matter as she is female... But could he through Ino? What color chicks could he and a Noraml green carrying dutch blue have? She also says his fathers great grandfather is a pied and that's where he get's his yellow from. He doesn't look like a pied to me. Here's the Add: http://www.usednanaimo.com/classified-ad/3810201
    I see he has a hamster wheel in his cage. Do lovies kinda just know how to use these like hamsters? I'm up to the challenge of training him! He probably won't end up suprising me like Choy, being tame when I was told he wasn't, but I am pretty sure I can do it! I'm very exited!

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Re: New lovie!!

Two of those look like Seagreens and the light one on top looks like a Dutch Blue American Cinnamon. Whatever you get, they are all pretty!
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

I am getting the one referd to as yellow. I can't seem to find a pic of a dutch blue american cinnamon, do you have one? From this site: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/F...80/aussie.html
    He looks the most like a splitcinnamino, he could possibly be one right? On that website all the american cinnamons look much greener. Anyway's his name is currently Robyn, I'm not sure if that'll stay or not. I've alway's loved the names Kuhmere (like 'come'ere ya little rascal!'), Tumbleweed (I think Tumble would suit him.), or Gieko (a cute green lizard from some phone company, and it would go with Sobe as that is a lizard off a drink.). If he is shy he will probably be a tumbleweed, if he's the little evil one who bites you then runs off and laughs he will probably be a Kuhmere, and if he act's alot like my Sobe and is kinda sassy he will be a Gieko. The owner say's he is very flighty if a hand comes in the cage, and he is not handraised or hand tamed, hopefully he will be nice and tame with a little persistance! I am extatic! I sure hope him and Sobe get along! I'm so happy!!!!!! I'm very glad I decided to get another bird!

Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Ok, the confusion is one that is very common. The term "blue" is not an accurate term as there are 3 types of blue. Yes, that first pic on that website is of a Dutch Blue American Cinnamon. I also have one here. She is a 3 year old proven female that I have:

That pic makes her look a little more green than she looks in person, or with flash.

Is this male Proven or DNA sexed? If she is right about his parents, he is not a male. He is female....because with the genetic make-up of his parents, there is not enough American Cinnamon gene to give him enough to be a visual Am. Cinnamon.

I don't want to get too much into genetics here, but believe me, unless his mom is an Aussie or an American, that bird is female, and that is genetically guaranteed. I would bet my first born on it. I am telling you this because I don't want you to accidentally get another female and then have it and Sobe fight.

Now, it was hard to see the flight feathers on that bird so it could be a SplitCinnamino, but that means that mom had to be an Australian Cinnamon, but the breeder said the mom was a Creamino. Maybe the breeder doesn't know her genetics very well and mom was actually an Aussie? Maybe you should ask for pics of his parents so you can be sure. I don't want you to get "ripped off" since if you are looking for a male and you are told it is a male, but it is a female. Or maybe you should ask her to DNA sex for you.

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website

Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Ok, after going through your first post again. I do not trust this breeder's knowledge of genetics. The "yellow" on th body does not come from a Pied Grandfather. That is not possible and it actually a little funny to hear. So she is a Lovebird breeder? Do you know how long she has been breeding for? I'm sorry, but this is my biggest pet peeve, breeders (who breed Lovebirds) who don't know the first thing about genetics and they sell their birds with different names and confuse their customers so they don't know what is right or wrong.

Please, if you buy this bird, buy it with caution. This breeder (IMHO) is not a knowledgeable breeder. Pied is a very basic trait and she should know that that bird is not pied and that a Grandfather who is pied has nothing to do with the light colors this bird shows.

You are more likely to get a male if you buy one of the actually Seagreens she has (the greener ones in the pic).

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Yeah I kinda guessed she did't know about genetics when she called him just a yellow one! And in an email she also offered me his sister that she decribed as yellow with a cinnamon colored tail, so yah I kinda don't trust her genetic know how! It is quite possible that his dad is actually seagreen, because you are saying the two she says in the pics are dutch blues are actually seagreens, and his mother could be pretty much any light colored yellow bird. I asked if he was a DNA'd male and she said didn't know what that meant and said 'I don't know what DNA'd means but they are not inbred. ' so yah I know He is not for sure a He. But it would be most likely right? I mean from the pics it seems that he is housed with the two other males, wouldn't he have already layed an egg at three years old if he was a female? So a dutch blue american cinnamon is the same as a blue australian cinnamon?If he turned out to be female it wouldn't be totally horrible, but I would rather a male so it doesn't fight with Sobe and because they are suposidly a little more layed back, so it might kinda balance out Sobe's rambunctiouseness, and because I wouldn't mind if Sobe had a clutch, I have been researching for two years (since a couple months before I got Sobe) and feel that I am capable enough to handle it (with everyone on here's help of course !). I will be careful, I know that this bird could possibly be unhealthy. It may not have a proper diet, or enough space, or a clean cage. I know pretty much nothing about this bird and will for sure be having a strict quarantine. I hope I can prove all these things wrong. I guess I'll find out soon! Thanx for the reponces briana!

Name
    Briana
    Thanks

It does sound like she doesn't know what she is talking about. I would ask for pics of the parents if she can provide them. It would help out a lot to figure out what sex he is for sure.

Sometimes females will not lay until they are a lot older. It really depends on the bird. My Baby Re is a little over 1 year old and has never laid an egg despite being in the same room and the same cage as males and she has a finch nest box to sleep in! She is just not that interested in raising a family, which is great, since I like keeping her as my little pet who doesn't want to mate.

If their dad is really a Seagreen (which would make sense), the mom has to be a Seagreen or Dutch Blue Creamino.

What I mean by the whole "Dutch Blue Am. Cinnamon and Blue American Cinnamon are the same" is that there are three different kinds of Blue. Dutch Blue is just one type, it is just slight ignorance to call them just "Blue" when there is three different kinds. It is not that much of a problem, they are just a little different genetically and it can make a difference when trying to figure out what colors parents can have.

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Ok I just Email'd her with some questions. How old are lovies supposed to start laying? Sobe layed at 5.5-6 months old.... is this really young? And she only had a female budgie and a male canary in the same room as her, and no nest box or happy hut to get her nesty...

Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Yes, that is extremely young!! They normally lay at about 9-12 months at the youngest. I had a female lay at 9 months, and even that is too young.

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

i dont care what genetics s/he is... they gorgeous! hope you get him/her soon
    yes lovies do like hamster wheels, but the one they have in there is awful... it should be a solid wheel so that toes can't get caught, and bacteria can't grow in the gaps and corners.

i've had keets who use it like hamsters (although slower) and others who sit and just rock gently back and forth. others try and build nests in them, which is why sparky got hers confiscated. i might give it back though asa she's been fiarly good and not too nesty recently

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Here's the E-mail I recieved:
    One of our birds hatched him. His mom is a real nice yellow and his dad is
    > green with a blue tail. His dad is pictured in the ad I placed. It's the
    > picture that shows three birds. I've included a picture for you of his
    > parents.
    >
    > I was looking at the pictures of our birds and I think that Robyn is
    > actually only about 18 months. Our parent birds were born in 2004. Their
    > first hatch was in 2005. The second hatch was later in 2005. The third
    > hatch which Robyn came from was in 2006 in the spring. So he's actually
    > only 1 1/2 yrs old. I cannot guarantee that he is a male as we have not had
    > him sexed by a vet but he has been in with 5 of our other birds and we've
    > observed him feeding one of our females which is what the males do from our
    > experience. We've been able to sex by observation all but the last 2 birds
    > that hatched this past January.
    >
    > We're not breeders. They are just pets. When we bought our first bird from
    > a breeder, we didn't know what sex she was until we bought our second bird
    > from a pet store and put the two together. Within the next year, they
    > produced their first clutch of eggs. We soon discovered that our first bird
    > loved to lay eggs. We finally had to separate her from her mate and have
    > finally been able to stop her hatching out any more eggs. We've run out of
    > room which is the reason why we want to sell these ones we have listed. We
    > have 9 lovebirds in total and 6 other pet birds of different breeds. There
    > are 3 lovebirds I'd like to keep. The rest I'd like to find great homes
    > for.

In the end I do have a fifty-fifty chance that he is a male. I'm happy with that! An dgenetics don't really matter, I know I will be getting a beautiful bird!!!

Name
    Briana
    Thanks

I like how she says that she is not a breeder but says "the first hatch...the second hatch..the third hatch..." That us a breeder. She may not advertise with a site and an Aviary name, but that is a breeder....

Yes, she still doesn't say what exactly the hen looked like. It sounds to me the hen was a Creamino. I would assume that the one you like is a female, but like you said, it is 50/50. I think it is a beautiful bird no matter what, and you may be lucky and it turns out male!

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website

Name
    Mell
    Thanks

Actually, I have now found out that She only ever has bred that one pair, and just keeps all the babies. Does this still count as a breeder? Also that pair she is selling is related! I'm now for sure getting 'him'. Couldn't it easily be that his mother is some kind of cinnamon, and the father carries it? She could have easily seen a creamino and it does look kinda like a cinnamon. Oh well I'm happy!

Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Yeah, I guess if she has kept them all until now, that really isn't a breeder. Yeah, she could have the Creamino and Cinnamon colors mixed up. I really hope it works out for you and it is a male!

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website

Remove Ads