Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roudybush and other rice based foods?

The ferretlady Teenager wolfysluv's Avatar
    Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Roudybush and other rice based foods?

Guys, I was told to switch Tika to a rice based organic pellet right now to look for the possibilities of allergies while we are investigating everything. I saw Roudybush has a formula for sensitive birds and mutilators, but do any other company's?
    Also, man, she is a really picky bird. Is Roudybush know for not being popular for all birds taste wise? I thought I had heard one way or the other with it, that birds really like it, or that some won't like it. If there is another rice food that birds are better known to like, I need to know about it. Also, if I got RB do I have to order it from their site? I don't see it all over the place like Harrisons.

Name
    Dana
    Thanks

Re: Roudybush and other rice based foods?

The only places that I have seen the rice diet are at a vet hospitals and the internet. That is what we sell at my workplace. I'm sorry I don't know of any other brand that makes food for birds with allergies. It is also common for birds to be allergic to the dyes and just switching them over to a food without dyes helps.

Forgot to mention that most birds do not like Roudybush in my experience. I don't blame them there is not much to them. But they are the best diets for certain cases. That is why we have them at work. (We only carry the special diets) They have a diet for liver problems, weight problems and allergy problems etc... You may have to push Tika a little to get her to eat it. I hope that a new diet works for you.
    Last edited by LadyMoon; 09-03-2007 at 11:32 AM.

Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

I knew I had heard something one way or another regarding how birds liked it. It must have been what you said. And if it was, it's not commonly accepted.
    Yeah, I am currently switching to Labefers. She hates it. But like I said this guy that has been helping me said it'd be really good to switch her to the rice one at least for now. If it's not yellow and yummy and sweet smelling she doens't want it! LOL. I'm serious! So wish me luck ...

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Can you mix some apple juice into it or something? Or a little cinnamon?

Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Well hell's bells, ..ooh sorry, cant curse here.... ::snicker:: I never thought of making it more tasty.
    I'm starting a new club. Morons anonymous. Meetings are Tuesdays, family and friends are welcome. I cant' say that we are on a 12 step program, because I am a moron and don't know what one is.
    "Hello? My name is Wolfy ... and I am a moron."

Name
    Robin
    Thanks

Cut That Out!!

Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Okay! I won't cuss anymore!
    Tika still hasn't answered me about her moron status.

Name
    Dana
    Thanks

I thought you were looking for a rice based pellet? But you are switching to lafeber? Their first ingredent is corn witch is often the culprit for food allergies. I would suggest going with the Roudybush Rice formula. Even if you don't use it permently it will give you a good way of finding out if this is allergy related.

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

I haven't been able to find any other rice-based pellets with a simple google search. Did the vet who recommended that you switch pellets have any suggestions?

Another option to consider might be offering entirely fresh foods. It might be too easy to get wrong and too time consuming, but I imagine that it is possible. Offering a mixture of healthy vegetables, grains, proteins etc, especially as a "mash," might induce her Tika to eat better and avoid all the corn.

On this note, here is a good article on ratios of food. I wonder if your vet or some other consultant might be able to help you come up with a plan.

Also, Beak Appetite makes some great products, though I don't think they are intended to be a complete diet.

That said, the problem with all fresh food is that it goes bad. That means you'd have to be able to prepare food a couple times a day at least... Perhaps that is a bit much!

A related idea might be to make the Roudybush more appealing by mixing it into some kind of a mash. Once the pellets are soaked in yummy things, maybe she'll gulp them right down.
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Wolfy,
    My Py is very fussy - and he does not like Roudybush, but the applejuice/cinnamon idea is a great one...I would never have thought of that to get him to eat it.
    I'll see you at the meeting...Hi , I'm Py's Mom...and I'm...
    Liz
    New York

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

Danielle,
    Thanks for that link to the food ratio article - it gave a great recipe for something called "GLOP" that I intend to try.
    Liz
    Liz
    New York

Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Yah, I made that unclear about the Laberfers. I know it's corn. But it's a LOT better than the collored fruit loop like Zupreme that I'm using. It's been sitting here since I got tika, cause she turne her nose up to it. I was just saying that while I am deciding on a food and waiting for it to arrive after I order it, it would not hurt for me to try to get her eating more of it since it doesn't have colors and things. That was all.

A vet tech told me that as a last option, the Beak Appetite is good enough for a base diet nutritionally. Some people have gone that way. She's not a vet and not a rescue, but, that's what she said. The rescue and my vet agree that an organic diet is best (I knew that), and that if I can get her to switch to a rice one like with RB that would be the ideal thing right now.

A mash. Wow. Never thought of that! Ooo oo! See, I make "Glop" for her like Sally Blanchard recommends each morning because she goes ape over hot mushy sweet food. I add vitamins in it and sneak some veggies that she often turns her nose up on. hehehe. It's super fast and easy. I make it just 2x a week. No worries. Now, the tiel and budgies have discovered it. So now I have to make double, yes double the amount cause those bad budgies are PIGS! They can way more than Tika when you compare sizes of the food to bird.

Gosh, I could do that with RB like someone said. Instead of oatmeal and/or grain toast for the base, heck ... I could use the RB for gosh sakes! Then add the yummy things. Drop the glop. lol. Drop the other kibble. Have dry RB available at all times. If I have to, I could make her the mush 2/a day to start and hope that later I can back it off. If she won't touch the cage kibble, I can add the apple juice, etc. Yup yup yup.

I ran into some Ekkie people that have abandoned kibble completely. They do as you said. They give a carefully planned diet of seed,nut, bean, veggies, etc.

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfysluv View Post
    I'm starting a new club. Morons anonymous. Meetings are Tuesdays, family and friends are welcome."
    Oooh! I'm not a friend, but can I join? I think it will stop Bella was scolding me. I had a bowl of seeds, and a bowl of trail mix out, and it took me a while to realize I was snackin' on Bella' treats. Oops.

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

Wow birds don't like Roudybush? I've never had such amazing luck with birds switching to pellets. I tried Zupreem, Kaytee, never Harrison's though. Roudybush is the only things my birds will touch and they all immediately converted. No problems at all.
    Spresso
    Med School... watch out! Go Tigers!
    Click on these guys to help them hatch

Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

:: After Katie speaks, a low cult like response echoes from the group::
    "Hello Katie."
    They say recognition of a problem is the first and biggest step to rectifying it. Pfft. THEY were morons. Because I've been a moron my entire life and I knew it the first day I got curious and munched on my horses feed when I was ten years old ... on purpose. I'm still stuck on step one I suppose.
    Did you hear that???? I hear Sunny laughing! I gotta go, I gotta bird to cook!