where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: budgie gone wild :/

I'm a work in progress Brand New Egg Shakeyourtailfeather's Avatar
    Name
    Corina
    Thanks

budgie gone wild :/

HELPPPPPPPPPP!! our budgie has gone wild, he was such a calm, sweet, loving baby, now he wants to constantly bite me He's in a cage with his best friend Topper the cockatiel, Topper wanted to be mean and protective and bite me alot when tails first came along, but now that they are in the same cage, topper will step up and come to me and everything without a bite but now the budgie has gone wild, he acts completely untame, he was a very young hand fed baby when we got him, i play with both birds every day, he gets lots of exercise, their cage is open most of the day, so they both come and go, I am just really confused why he is acting so mean, I dont know much about a budgie molt, Topper has had one, and it seems like molting type of behavior just being moody, i know last week maybe or the week before i saw little yellow feathers lying around, not a major amount, just here and there, but he wasn't mean then, when he started living in the same cage with my tiel we did change the food around a bit, we took our tiels food and mixed it with the budgies food, and they get plenty of veggies and so forth every day, it doesnt really seem diet related, they both seem very very active and healthy, but the little thing bites hard, very hard, and he'll step up also but then bite constantly after he does so, its to the point now that i dont want to handle him and i dont think thats the best thing, cause then it might make the behavior just continue further. Soooooo any suggestions on how to stop this behavior and maybe some ideas on why he would all of a sudden start this.. Our cute little lutino budgie is not so cute anymore HELPPPPPPPPP!!

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: budgie gone wild :/

Could he be hormonal?

Name
    Corina
    Thanks

I dont know, thats why im asking , ive been spending more time with him, like today, ive been picking him up constantly, and getting bit constantly, he looks exactly like your yellow budgie sometimes, rarely he'll step up and wont bite, but not long, he'll start biting my fingers, I just don't know, I guess I'll keep handling him and maybe he'll stop this, he could be hormonal, but im not sure he's old enough to be, hes ummmmmm.. maybe 4-5 months, ill have to check when i got him and his age and all, how can you tell when a budgie is just hormonal? Hmmm..him and Topper are both males, very bonded, what do you think adding a female tiel to the equation might do? make things worse maybe?????? complicated critters arent they? thanks!
    Corina

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Are you sure your budgie is really a cock? Sound a bit more typical of hen behavior although budgie cocks can become very devoted/protective of a friend.

I think by adding a 3rd bird to this situation you would be escalating your problems. (pouring more fuel onto a fire) This might even start some battles which could result in damage or death to the odd bird out.

The problem occurred when you gave your budgie a bird to replace the bond with you, (when you decided to house 2 birds in one cag)e. If you want to keep a bird bonded and sweet to you, you don't provide it a buddy. You only provided a buddy when you no longer have the time to devote to playing with the bird daily.

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

If the budgie is molting (and from the age, that's what it sounds like) then he may be a bit crotchety. Perhaps he was less itchy last week, but as the molt progresses he will get more itchy. Have you tried misting him with water, perferably with some aloe vera in it (if you have an aloe vera plant, cut off a piece about 1.5 inches long, score it deeply, and put it in the spray bottle. ) Mine became a little sweeter mid-molt with it.

I have a similar problem-ours are either still molting or started a second molt, and boy, does it make the hen, Julie-usually the most even tempered of the two-bite when I go to get her to step-up.

Hope this helps

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Budgie Playgym Egg's Cracking... cadria's Avatar
    Name
    Colleen
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry C View Post

The problem occurred when you gave your budgie a bird to replace the bond with you, (when you decided to house 2 birds in one cag)e. If you want to keep a bird bonded and sweet to you, you don't provide it a buddy. You only provided a buddy when you no longer have the time to devote to playing with the bird daily.
    I am sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. It is a common misconception and a blanket statement - each situation is different. I have 2 birds and both are bonded to me, each in their own way. My first birds I adopted lived in the same cage for 6 years together and I still had a chance to bond with them as well. Also, in my opinion, it is always good to provide a buddy and even if time is tight, you should still try to devote some time everyday to play with your bird anyways.

It could be the start of a molt. Cady used to be such a chatty gal, but when she started to molt, the only time she opened her beak was to tell someone off. I have also noticed that Milo (who is one of the most even tempered budgies I have met) can get really "feisty" around the time when his hormones are raging, if you know what I mean. He is very gentle with me, but at that time, he can get quite nippy. I have also noticed when both birds are eating a treat and if I try to interfere, he nips at me like he does to Ciara, as if he is telling us to back off! LOL

Name
    Corina
    Thanks

Wanted to say that Tails is doing much better now..he will step up without biting my finger off I always read about housing 2 birds together and the bonding issue, and actually it wasn't my intention of doing that..the budgie was my nephews, but i couldnt have 2 birds without seeing if they would get along and be able to play together, didnt seem right, and yes of course they loved each other and bonded, but topper my cockatiel still loves me to death, he calls me and demands to be held and he loves his scritches and to walk around with me, he's probably not AS close as he once was to me, but he still loves me As for the sex of my budgie Tails, no i am not sure if hes a boy.. hes all yellow, and he seems so little, everyone comments on his little size.. and he talks and sings alot, thats all i know! anyways just wanted to say that things have gotten better! Thanks, Corina