Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Did my Mo get cut?!?!

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

Exclamation Did my Mo get cut?!?!

I got home today to find Mo just fine chirping in his cage. He really seems to be doing just fine, except for one thing......

this was splattered all over his cage, the walls, everywhere.....

If you look closely, you can see it on his beak.......( I couldn't get a better pic)

It's not fresh, it's all dried up, but was not there this morning. The only thing I can see that he might have cut himself on is the metal on his cuttlebone. I thnk I will be taking it off and coming up with another solution for that. What do ya'll think it looks like? I can't think of anything else. I just think it's so bright to be dried up blood. Is this something I should be worried about?

I have been a little pariniod with him since I got him. You see last January, I brought home a lutino. She was the first born of my mom's tiels. She just fell off her perch one day with no signs of illness and we do not know what happened. So everyday, when I get home, I run right to the cage to check on him! I am so scared to loose another bird!!!
    1 Tiel, Mo
    3 dogs-Black Lab mix, Zeppelin ~ Brindle Boxer, Sly
    ~Mini Schnauzer Renesme A.K.A. Nessie

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Re: Did my Mo get cut?!?!

It looks like blood and alot for such a small tiel to loose. did you check for broken blood feathers in the wing/tail?

You say it's to bright to blood, what would Mo have access to that is red like that?
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

I see no signs of anything being broken. That was one of the first things I did. As a matter of fact, he's flapping his wings like he usually does with no problem.

He eats the Zupreem fruit blend, so I guess I thought maybe one of the red pieces from that. I thought maybe vomit, but the friut blend has more colors than that, I would think it wouldn't just be bright red. If you really think it' blood, then I'm really thinking it's from the metal on the cuttlebone. It is kind of sharp. I took the metal off already. I just don't have it up on the cage wire right now, it's on the floor. I don't know what else to think. Do you think he'll be ok?
    Last edited by ang1477; 10-03-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: .
    1 Tiel, Mo

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Did you check his tounge and feet? make sure like you said he didnt cut himself.

I would watch him and make sure that he doesnt act different. Birds hide injuries and illiness's well so keep a close eye on him. I have never had a bleeding bird problem, just broken blood feathers and broken foot.
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

I have been checking him. It seems like, if it was bleeding that it has stopped. Did you notice what I was talking about on his beak? It's still there. I really think he got caught on something. He really seems to be his normal self, absolutely nothing different.
    1 Tiel, Mo

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

just out of curiosity, how do i check his tongue? you should see what i have to go thru just to check his beak!
    1 Tiel, Mo

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

I would really guess it's a broken blood feather that has stopped bleeding all on it's own. It's difficult to find the location, so you aren't likely to find it or see any after affects unless he bumps it real good and it bleeds again.

The beak is likely bloody because he was preening the area when it was bleeding.

This happens all too frequently with my older male, looks like the same splatters and same amount of blood on the beak.

I'm sure he'll be fine but keep an eye out, change the papers in his cage with plain wipe paper so you can see any little bit of bleeding incase it happens again.

Good luck!

Pardon My Pearls Please Tailfeather Oh Mowsie's Avatar
    Name
    Nicole
    Thanks

My bet would be a broken blood feather as well. They can make quite the spatter when they flap after its freshly broken. The blood on the beak can come from when they try to preen the area where the feather is.

Sometimes those feathers can be hard to find. If its a tailfeather, it can be even more difficult. You'll need to spread the feathers of the wing and look on the underside.. and check the tailfeathers carefully as well.

Also, take a looksie at his toenails. Those can get snagged and bleed quite a bit too. Again, if he picks at it, the blood can stain the beak.

Good luck to you and Mo!
    Visit Apache, Neo, Silver, Taxi, Tieka, Trinny, Buzz, Tiggy, Paris, Persephone & Hektor at Nikkie's Cockatiels More of what the flock is up too at their blog. Tiel Tales
    "Somewhere out there
    Someone's singing a prayer
    That we'll find one another
    In that big somewhere, out there"~

Prayers for Paris- Please come home!

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

Thank ya'll so much! He seems to be doing just fine! YAY! He has flapped his wings and spread his tail and I still don't see anything, but I am keeping an eye on him!
    1 Tiel, Mo

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy