Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: My budgie hurt my sick budgie! *horrified*

Name
    Hikari
    Thanks

My budgie hurt my sick budgie! *horrified*

I have an older parakeet with gout (nicknamed Goose), she's quite sick, but is being treated. To minimize injury and to make life easy, I put her in the travel cage/hospital cage most of the day for her to rest. Dio, my healthy parakeet, has been quite curious about this. He flies over and checks it out often.

After I give Goose her nightly medicine, I put her in the Big Cage for her to feel more comfortable for about an hour. She tends to preen here, not in the smaller cage, and it's easier for me to watch how she's doing.

I have a calcium perch outside the cage, where Dio was sitting. I wanted to put Goose on the perch cause it was nice and fat, so I held up Goose (in a washcloth) for him to view. The goal of this was: a) For him to move and b) for him to be reassured his friend was coming back for a visit.

You know what he did? He ripped four of her head-feathers out with one bite! I sat there staring at the tiny yellow and black striped feathers in horror. I remembered you should never strike a bird, but that didn't stop me from scolding him. Goose flew up to the top of the cage...and Dio JUMPED ON HER! Either he's jealous or acting territorial, but he's really scaring me T_T

Is this something birds do to push sick birds out of their flocks? If I don't watch him, he picks fights with her.
    Last edited by Hikari; 09-28-2007 at 03:50 AM.
    To my sweet Angel and my beloved Goose 'Keet, rest in peace...

Who needs T.V with an aviary? Egg's Cracking... LiLRebelWW's Avatar
    Name
    Gina
    Thanks

Re: My budgie hurt my sick budgie! *horrified*

Sorry about your budgie Hakari =(.

I'm no animal expert, but from reading books and watching shows as well as seeing this with my own eyes in wildlife..., flock/group oriented animals will sense that another member is sick and may try to push them out or kill them because the illness could wipe out the entire flock/group and instinctively they know this. A sick animal who cannot keep up with the rest of the group will often be killed by a group member as well. Perhaps it is their own humane way of putting another animal out of their misery too.

I am not sure that this level of attacks have happened with budgies in capitivity, or if it something they do in the wild like some other types of birds... but I have had experience with my alpha male attacking one of my terminally ill budgies when I was trying to give him time with the flock. It was only the alpha male that did it, and the two birds who the sick bird was strongly bonded with did not do this and were gentle with him. It was hard not to be really mad at the attacker, but I just kept telling myself that he is a good bird but is just doing something that comes naturally to him instinctively for the preservation of the flock. Though it hurt to seperate my sick budgie because I wanted him to spend his last days with his friends, I had to because the attacks were getting more and more vicious =(....

It sounds like you will have to seperate the two for the time being. It seems to have reached a dangerous level, and the stress may be to much to handle for Goose. Maybe you can put the hospital cage and Dio's cage close to one another though, so they can still sing to one another and socialize somewhat. It will keep Goose's spirits up too.

Again, sorry to here about Goose. I hope she gets well soon.
    11 lil' budgies sitting in a tree....and RIP my little angels: Synth, Tre, Ion and Cinque.

Name
    Kerry
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hikari View Post
    You know what he did? He ripped four of her head-feathers out with one bite! I sat there staring at the tiny yellow and black striped feathers in horror. I remembered you should never strike a bird, but that didn't stop me from scolding him. Goose flew up to the top of the cage...and Dio JUMPED ON HER! Either he's jealous or acting territorial, but he's really scaring me T_T

Is this something birds do to push sick birds out of their flocks? If I don't watch him, he picks fights with her.
    I really don’t understand your position. Basic bird instinct is to protect it’s self and the flock against predators. Sick, weak birds ATTRACT predators. This is an ingrained instinct in all wild birds, retained by all captive bred birds. You have observed the more aggressive behavior in your healthy bird, why would you continue to let both out at the same time? Why are you surprised at the escalation of aggression? If you continue to let both birds out at the same time and the weaker bird “can not be driven off” the aggression can result in an ugly death of the weaker bird.

Name
    Robin
    Thanks

Yup. Ditto what the others said. But it's horrifying to see your sweet one being attacked by its former friend! I have had especially vicious female birds going after the sick ones.

Ugh, ugh, ugh!!! But that sort of behavior is part of their nature and well, that's how they survived as a species.

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Maybe you can put Dio in a different cage or a different room while Goose gets the run of the big cage? Is that possible? Both need to be supervised and kept safe - this might be a way for you to give Goose the time in the "big cage" to preen, etc.
    Once Goose is feeling better, you will need to watch closely - it's possible that Dio & Goose will not be able to be cagemates anymore, or maybe once Goose is well, the attacks will stop. You will need to re-assess once you get to that point.

Egg's Cracking... crayontree741's Avatar
    Thanks

I'm pretty sure you should be keeping the sick bug away from the others, anyway.
    My Flock--

Name
    Hikari
    Thanks

Goose passed away earlier today... thank you everyone for the replies to this post, anyway.
    To my sweet Angel and my beloved Goose 'Keet, rest in peace...

Egg's Cracking... crayontree741's Avatar
    Thanks

Oh no! I'm so sorry
    My Flock--

Name
    Gail
    Thanks

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Please do not blame Dio for Goose's demise. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

ArticunoGail
    I was sane once, but I got better.

My baby boy, Lawrence.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Sorry to hear that I just lost my baby Cirrus a few weeks ago

R.I.P My little Babies Sidney & Cirrus! Fly Free!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Yes, three of us are in mourning for our little feather faces.