Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

Aggressive Cockatiel

I have a new cockatiel,...and he's VERY aggressive. I can't even approach his cage without him lunging at me through the bars. He's bitten me HARD recently, and I have been even more leary of him than I was before...but he actually went through the finger. What are suggestions on how to handle this bird...has anyone else had an aggressive bird?

Name
    Robin
    Thanks

Re: Aggressive Cockatiel

My first thought is to return him to the store and exchange him.

Since you have him in your home, I would cover him with a dark cloth, or a light cloth if you don't have a dark one or if he is calmer with the lighter one. Dim the lights in the room and keep the room very quiet. Don't sneak up on him, tell him you are coming in to see him. Move very slowly.

Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

Taking him back was my first reaction too, but my fiance is not willing to give up on him just yet. I actually went out and purchased a NICE cockatiel hoping that he would return the aggressive one, but to no avail...I'm afraid I'm stuck with the little guy, and I certainly don't want to see him neglected, so I'm pulling out all the stops trying to train him.

Name
    Robin
    Thanks

Does he have more of an affinity toward your fiance? Maybe he should be doing the training then...

There is a chance he will calm down as soon as he figures out he is safe and you guys are okay. Or maybe he is upset by something... Or maybe he has a history that you don't know about yet...

I don't think I would bring a second bird in until you have this one trained... you want him to think you are his flock and bond with you.

My favorite recommendation these days is Bachs Flower Rescue Remedy. It is flower essences and is used to calm emotions such as fear, hysteria, worry... put a few drops in his water and see if it helps. You can buy it at either a pet supply store or a health food store. It is in a small amber bottle in a bright yellow box. With my convalescing cockatiel Tillie I actually put a few drops in her mouth and she has been much better mood-wise since then.

p.s. I like to give suggestions, but I am not an expert. I have had birds for over 20 years, but have had my share of doing stuff wrong, too.

Name
    Crystal
    Thanks

The local pet store offered to help me out with him, even though I bought him elsewhere. I have already purchased another bird, but I keep them in separate cages on opposite ends of the room...they can't even see each other, although I'm sure they know the other is there. He IS much better with my fiance, and maybe I will leave all of the training to him, because I feel that my fear of the birds beak is causing him to be more aggressive. Thank you for your wonderful advice!

Name
    Robin
    Thanks

Regarding your training situation, my African Grey Bubba lunges at my boyfriend, and I see my boyfriend prepare himself to be lunged at-- they kind of feed off of each other like that. I tell him that Bubba is sweet most of the time, but gets mixed up if he is hungry or I am missing, but Craig doesn't let go of his fear. So what I am trying to say is that you have to get involved at some point and not be left out. There's sweet Bubba in my avatar.

One of the things we do is that we stand together with Bubba and we show him that we are friends and that we care for one another. And that little piece helps Bubba to learn to treat Craig decently, at least when I am home.

I am sure someone else can help you with this piece, anyone TF?

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mariam
    Thanks

When I first bought m cockatiel I left him for a week so get used to the cage and his surroundings. I then started sitting in front of his cage and talking to him until he recognised me and got used to me. I then started putting my hand in his cage and letting him get used to that. I frequently keep the cage door open so that he doesn't feel enclosed. He likes to explore, he sticks his head out and looks around. I could also hand feed him. And I taught him the step up command. Everything was going really well, but then I got sick and i took precautions cause I didn't want Ringo to catch my cold. I would sit a bit far from his cage and talk to him. After I got better, I had tons of work and the attention i gave him got less and less. In the mornings before going to school i would talk to him, after i came home as well. But it was soo hard to train him to be friendly when i have so much work these days! I try my best to give him attention. Now a days though, he's EXTREMELY aggressive! When I put my hand close to the cage he lunges at me and hisses. He never did this before. He would only nibble my hand when he didn't like something. He also seems very agitated. He hisses at his toys and aggressively tries to bite them. He walks up and down his perch. He doesn't do this all the time, but he's is always chirping REALLY loudly, and it doesn't seem like a happy type of chirping either. I'm considering buying another cockatiel because i think he gets very lonely. But my Christmas holidays are coming and I want to spend more time with him to try and make him friendly again. I also don't want to buy another cockatiel in case they both don't get along or if they become friends and don't become friendly with me. I have no idea what to do at the moment. PLEASE help me!!!

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

You lost his trust when you started spending less and less time with him. The best thing to do is go right back to step one and start from the beginning again. Set up a routine that you know you'll be able to stick to. And although it may be hard, make sure you don't spend more time with him during your holidays than you'll be able to spend with him when you go back to school/uni.

Another thing you can do, is make sure he has lots to do when you're not around. Toy's he enjoys playing with rotated every now and then - I change one toy every few days rather than changing all of them at once. And foraging toys are great for keeping them occupied once you've got him into it. Ours are crazy for foraging, and it's really easy to teach them to forage, since it uses their natural instincts. It doesn't even have to cost much. I have a whole website dedicated to foraging for small birds like cockatiels and budgies, and most of the toys in it are ones made from things around the house, and some basic toy making parts. Even the ones you need to by parts for usually only cost a couple of pounds. These links have information about Captive Foraging, Teaching Your Parrot to Forage and you can either look up the toys here or just flicking through my blog Feathers and Forage.

Good luck!

Edit - I didn't realise this was such an old thread. It's best to start your own in future, rather than dragging up ones that are a couple of years old. =)
    Last edited by Mythara; 12-07-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Mariam
    Thanks

Thanks a lot for the advice! And yes I should start my own thread but I'm kind of new and I wasn't sure how to, or if anyone would reply.

Name
    Liz
    Thanks

You're more likely to get replies starting your own thread. Near the top of each forum, theres a new post button. =)

Feathers and Forage - New Post - 08/02/10 - Cat balls and Corn Cobs