Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Help - budgie had egg binding?!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anne
    Thanks

Help - budgie had egg binding?!

Hello,

I discovered my budgie - which was about 7 years old - became egg bound last weekend. I brought her to the vet a few times who ended up recommending surgically collapsing the egg since it was not coming out on it s own. This was done on Saturday - my bird made it through the procedure fine - and the vet said I could take her home. She ended up dying that night!!

Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on what may have happened?! I am so sad and confused as to what happened. The vet said she was fine and I feel very hurt since I didn't this!

Thank you
    Last edited by budgiegal; 10-08-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Snuggled, not stirred Teenager BridgeyRoo's Avatar
    Name
    Bridget H. Shea
    Thanks

Re: Help - budgie had egg binding?!

First of all, I am so sorry for your loss!! That is TERRIBLE! It sure sounds like you did everything right for little one. The only thing I can suggest is to have a necropsy done to determine the cause of death. It won't help bring her back, but it could help with your suffering by providing some closure, as well as allowing you to "confront" the Vet and ask what happened. Again, I'm so sorry about this, and I hope your many happy memories help get you through this hard time.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I am sorry for your loss, you did all the right things for her but she still did not have the strenght to make it through. Poor girl it least she has no more pain hugs to you for loving her enough to take her to the vets.

Was it a avian vet? I heard egg binding is very dangerous and even more so if the egg gets broken inside. Hopefully one of the breeders here can you tell more about what happened to her.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

I agree with Deanna. If the vet was not avian qualified, he/she may have not know what he/she was doing. An egg breaking inside a hen is incredibly toxic, which may be what happened. Also, why was it surgically removed? Oftentimes with very high humidity and a little lubricant of some kind (mineral oil is commonly used) rubbed on the vent the hen is able to pass the egg.

Also try posting this in the budgies forum, you may get more responses from people who've delt with this before.
    Last edited by mighty mouse; 10-08-2007 at 02:58 PM.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anne
    Thanks

Thanks everyone!

It was an avian vet. She started to worry since the egg was in her for at least 5 days and was quite large. The vet also tried giving her injections to try and induce it. No luck. Since the egg was very high up and Cutie was showing signs of straining, the vet felt is was best to try and manually manipulate it out - which didn't work so she collapsed the egg. She said she removed most if not all the shell. I m just so confused because she was fine when I took her home ... then she started to get tired,....

Feel soo guilty since she so was bright and chirping earlier that morning.

(PS... I tried to post on the Budgie page but it didn't let me?!)

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anne
    Thanks

I should also add the the vet advised me after the procedure that Cutie's uterus opening was very small and would not have passed the egg

Banned Growing...
    Thanks

A ) the vet should never have let a bird go 5 days if it was egg bound...! that alone is enough to kill most birds..!

B )to be able to tell you that your bird had
    a ) a large egg that was stuck " high up "
    b ) Cutie's uterus opening was very small and would not have passed the egg
    these 2 would indicate that a surgical procedure was performed which means your bird would have been anethetised.
    and that is always risky..! especially with a bird that has been straining , stressing and being physically drained for 5+ days.

my opinion on what should have happened ( for what it's worth )

the vet should have acted immediately when you bird was first bought in and diagnosed as being egg bound...!
    at the very minimum they should have used a rubber tipped syringe ( metal tip removed and a rubber tube used ) to apply cod liver oil ( cod liver oil is used for it's lubricating qualities , but also for it's healing properties ) to the vent, around the egg etc,
    and used heat ( humidity ) and gentle massage to try to move the egg..
    the bird should have stayed overnight, and in the morning another attemp should have been made with the oil etc, if no luck then surgical removal...!
    every second counts when it comes to egg binding and in my opinion if it is longer than 24 hours you dramatically reduce the chances of survival..

this is just my opinion, i may be wrong, i am not a vet

regards
    matty

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Anne
    Thanks

So I spoke with the vet - who was very sorry for the loss. She felt that my bird probably couldn't handle the stress and blood loss - pretty stressful for such a small bird. Since it was an abnormally large egg, I guess she may have passed away anyway?!