Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: what should i do with this Hahns Macaw?

Hybrid View

World Ruler in the making Chick Edd's Avatar
    Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

Question what should i do with this Hahns Macaw?

Well, it realy has been a long time since iv'e posted here, starting school was quite busy.

But, onto the subject the breeders i know, www.becksbirdbarn.co.uk, will not have any hahns macaws till about January or possibly later. However, I have found a home breeder in lester who have one left.

Now I could either wait till january or at a more convienient time (half term break) get the bird from the home breeder in lester. But im not sure what i should do, in terms of cost BBB (becks bird barn) is an odd 500 pounds, but the home breeders are selling for 350 but at BBB they are microchipping them, sexed ,we get a birth certificate and a free checkup with their vet. (you can look at www.becksbirdbarn.co.uk)

The home breeders have told me they have one left to sell out of the 3 they had. I have heard of them remotely on forums for being quite good but im not sure about the risk that the bird could just drop dead because home breeding just isnt as efficient as proper facilities that BBB would use. I think, financially the home breeder would work because i can get the bird microchipped and DNA sexed and checked up for under 250 pounds. So that would meen im saving money, time and convienience. If i got the bird any later, im approaching mock exams, my dads birthday and ofcourse there's school and I just wouldnt be able to organise myself. but if i get the bird now i will have a whole week to get it all ready.

This is the advert for the home breeders, ive spoken to Cindy and i think they're realy nice people and i think they'd do a good job of breeding the hahns macaws.

http://www.ukclassifieds.co.uk/handr...r-o282442.html

Although i am the only one who has looked at this advert, they are very popular in their area, (they have many more on other sites, only makes it even more confusing )

I think I know what I might do but I think that I should just check with you guys here what do you think I should do?

Thanks, Ed
    Last edited by Edd; 10-12-2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: missed out some parts

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

Re: what should i do with this Hahns Macaw?

With cages and toys etc im going to either make my own toys and swings with all the fruit trres i have and the sisal rope readily available at the boating club nearby in town. But i will buy a lot from BBB because they make realy great stuff and deep down I think they just do it for the birds and other people's birds, because it's not made cheaply or tacky but its just made realy well, although soon to be torn to shreds by a razor sharp beak they make them realy well.

Lester isnt too far from us, about hour and a half drive, whilst BBB is 3 hours (which is not all too fun for me)

So I think if i go through with this Ill get the bird from these home breeders in lester and everything else from the local vet store and BBB. Thats my plan

(routines I have gone through thouroughly with Erica so i think im almost ready)

As for behavior and the patterning i will have to do, my handy 'guide to parrot behavior book' just tells me everything to do which is realy great

Hatched!
    Name
    Kris
    Thanks

Ive always prefered to buy from home breeders, Ollie came from one. I just find the birds are alot more friendly as they are used to being around people and in a home. Ollie came from a place with other birds (CAGS and a ringneck parakeet), cats, dogs and kids. Meaning that Ollie has no fear of any of these, which is wonderfull

They are also cheaper which is **** usefull....

How much would it cost for you to get th sexing and microchipping (plus a checkup) yourself. I think it would be cheaper than the difference between the breeder and BBB prices. If it is, surely you could just get this done yourself after?

And finally, how much free time have you got? Now that you are back to school, youll know how your times is. I know for myself my OH is having to care for Ollie as I dont have time now Im back to uni. But if you feel you have plenty of time for him, go for it.

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

Yeah, I've figured out all my timetables, before the term begain, (well, half a year before they bagen ). Sometimes though i do get bombarded with work, sometimes even ten, one hour Homeworks over weekends but I always find time, because lunch breaks are long to do it, and after school theres always time and free time to do as I like. But if i just have too much work and the bird wants some attention then I have 3 other brothers, my mum and my uncle to do so; so im always backed up if i can't do much.

It just seems so fast after a long period of almost half a year when I first planned getting the birdd, I can't wait. But it is useful getting the bird during half term because I have a long time to prepare, which is good

Hatched!
    Name
    Kris
    Thanks

As long as you know (now your back) that you can give about 2 - 3 hours a day. Or at least someone can. Obviously you want it to be you!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Have you looked into local rescues to see if there is a bird in need that you could help out, rather then purchase one from a breeder?

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

Yeah i've checked RSPCA and Pet(thingies) but nothing has come up.

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

oh **** they sold the hahns. I can't believe this they told me they would wait on me until I phoned up again. But what can I do now?

I'm going to keep searching for rescues and babies and hopefully I'll find someone

Parrot chew toy! Maturing... 2cay2's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Oh that's not fair They shouldn't have done that.

Edd, I approached BBB about 18 months ago as I was looking into breeding Green Cheeked Conures (I decided not to persue it). I was looking for a breeding pair, costs, information, advice etc and they were very helpful, BUT I found out that they do not breed their own babies. They buy babies from home breeders. The babies are not weaned and they 'finish them off'. The amount they pay for a hand reared GCC is £30/40 and they sell for £250ish.
    I suspect their 'free' vet checks etc are to cover their own backs in case the bird drops dead after a month. They can then say ' well it was fine when it left us'!
    Maybe I am being a little cynical but I feel they are a buisiness first and formost. To take unweaned babies is NOT for the benefit of the birds

As for rescue birds, I don't think that is a good idea for you. They will come with issues that may well need a lot of time, patience and money to deal with. I personally think waiting for a baby from a home breeder is best. I can give you my breeders number if you want? You might have a long wait but it would be worth it!
    Also you could put a wanted add on Parrot link (UK parrot forum). That's where I found my breeder.

Good luck Edd!
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

thanks very much linda, but at BBB for the hahns macaw I found out they got them from a breeder in Wolverhampton, but I dont realy know any more about them unfortuneatly.

I have found a site called 'aviary pets' and they sell quite a large variety of birds, but more importantly hand reared hahns macaw babies! I havnt got an answer on the phone yet but when I do I'l talk to the guy and he'l tell me if they have any.

But I would be delighted to get your breeders number! and I will post a 'wanted' ad on Parrot link for sure, good idea. Thanks linda, We'l see how it goes.

Parrot chew toy! Maturing... 2cay2's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

I've PM'd you Edd.
    I'll have to have a look at the aviary pets site! Finding a Hahns can be a nightmare can't it?! I thought there would be lots available but that's just not the case!
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Edward Wong
    Thanks

Thumbs up Re: what should i do with this Hahns Macaw?

Yeah, they're realy quite rare, and we live in kind of a 'remote area' where not many people actualy know what a parrot is . I recieved your PM, ill start chatting away to all the people I've found. Probably wont be back until nexxt week

Thanks, Ed

Name
    Scareca
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    BBB (becks bird barn) is an odd 500 pounds, but the home breeders are selling for 350 but at BBB they are microchipping them, sexed ,we get a birth certificate and a free checkup with their vet. (you can look at www.becksbirdbarn.co.uk)
    One thing that comes to mind right now is a guarantee against incest at any of these facilities. That's one big thing that I worry about with home breeders, because it's very easy to buy birds at the same time, from the same clutch, to get a pair. I would ask them nonchalantly, without letting on what I really wanted to know, where the parents came from. If they both came from the same place, as babies, I'd be suspicious.
    Tailfeathers Superstar

Remove Ads