Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: How do I get him to stop eating his poop?

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

How do I get him to stop eating his poop?

I know it usually would be concern that something was wrong with him, but I truely believe this is not the case for Mo. He picks at every little thing he sees, so of course I have to watch him carefully when out. But I know the poop is not good. How do I get him to stop before he does get sick?
    1 Tiel, Mo
    3 dogs-Black Lab mix, Zeppelin ~ Brindle Boxer, Sly
    ~Mini Schnauzer Renesme A.K.A. Nessie

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

Re: How do I get him to stop eating his poop?

Got to give my own thread a bump! I don't even see it in the new posts!! I am probably looking over it, idk. I guess that's what I get for posting first thing in the morning.
    1 Tiel, Mo

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Hmmm, to be honest I have no clue why your bird would do this! I have had birds and haven't had any that picked at their poo. In fact, Darwin is pretty discusted by his poo (he wont step in it or anything).

How often are you cleaning his cage? I would suggest bumping up your cleaning, so that there is no poo to peck.

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

I have seen a couple of my birds do this, too, and I read somewhere one time (can't remember where) that it's really not a big deal. Fresh poo is pretty safe, but older poo that has had time to grow bacteria and/or mold is the problem.

This is just something I heard one time. I don't know how true it is, so don't quote me. I hope someone else can tell us something more definite.
    Heather

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

I clean very regularly. I also, on my noncleaning days will take a paper towel and wipe it off, everytime I see some on a perch or somewhere where he can get to it! He has to be watched closely!! He will pick at any little teeny tiny thing he sees! He's like having a baby crawling around on the floor. He will even, when sitting on our shoulder, will pick at my pimples or my husband's little bitty mole!! lol!! It's hilarious, but hurts!! I was just worried about the picking at the poop thing, wanting to make sure that he can't get sick from it!
    1 Tiel, Mo

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Are you sure he is eating it? Boomer picks at everything when he can but I have seen him pick up poo before and he drops it right back down. It also is possible he is lacking in a certain nutrient or mineral so he eats poop, I thought I read that before but again dont take my word on this, I just thought I read that.

My dog used to eat his own poop when it was a puppy, it was sooo gross but she was fine so who knows maybe it is just a odd phase but nasty one.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

You know, that may be what he's doing. I read that also, that's why I posted this. But like I said I don't think it's the issue here, cause he picks at every little thing. You're right though, he may not even be eating it at all.
    1 Tiel, Mo

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Tracy Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Tracy
    Thanks

My little Tommy pecks at any poo left, He just picks it off and drops it. Makes me laugh when he tries to 'clean up' a wet one!

When Pete poops on my shoulder I have to wipe it up quick, cos he now knows that it needs removing and once he picked it up for me and flung it and it went in my eye!

Name
    Robin
    Thanks

I don't think it's good to eat poop under any circumstances. I don't know why they do it, maybe it's because it is tough like wood or sand and they need something for digestion. So I would suggest that you try to put out stuff for digestion and see if he heads for that. Maybe he is looking for something to supplement his diet. What I put out is alfalfa, grit, charcoal, oyster shell. Or maybe he is looking for something of that consistency to eat, maybe looking for more fiber in his diet.

So I suggest seeing if there is something else for him to eat that might settle his stomach, if he is looking for something like that.

When I see Tillie headed for anything on the floor such as chewing on newspaper or paper towel or the wooden perch or the poop I put the cover over part of her cage and she then climbs to the top in order to roost. This works like a charm. Of course you may not like covering your cage during the day. But once I distract her with something she does not go back to what she was doing and the urges to eat whatever it was passes.

I have tried the grating on the bottom of the cage that has the poop going to the tray below it and I think that gets dirtier than if you just have newspaper or paper towels and much much harder to keep clean. In fact, the grating disgusts me because it gets all drippy with poop.

If you put several layers of paper towels or newspapers they are very easy to grab up as you are walking by and doing something else.

Egg's Cracking...
    Name
    Anne
    Thanks

I agree ....eating poop is normally a sign of choline deficiency.you can go on several websites that say this....I would absolutely take thta birdie to a vet even if he looks well as this is a sign..you need to go on line and see the sites

Remove Ads