Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prolapsed cloaca

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Re: Prolapsed cloaca

Yikes. I had no idea!! I'm soo sorry. My fingers are crossed for you!!!

Beeks

Well, She is stitched back up again but man is there some infected tissue around her tail. My vet wanted to try stitiching her up first because she left the stitches alone for so long last time. He said as long as I could deal with some mild vent cleaning, this way would be much less invasive. She is on some pretty strong oral antibiotics (Tribricon?) and if this doesn't work he's going to have me put her on injectable antibiotics. I will have to give her like thirty shots in thirty days which I really REALLY don't want to have to do so I hope the orals will be enough. She is in good spirits though and took full advantage of me this afternoon. I wore a black sweater that was more or less gray from Too dust by the time I put her up. The vet said he consulted with one of the four "certified" avian vets in the state who believed that keeping her stitched if she will leave them alone is far better than opening her up and stitching her innards to her abdominal wall. So let's hope and pray she continues to leave them alone and in the mean time, anybody got any great remedies for cleaning sore infected skin tissue?

I have this stuff from Cowboy Magic called "KrudBuster". I had my vet read the ingredients and he thought it would be OK to use on her poor heiny but may cause her feathers to become a bit oily. I can deal with that too, until she is healed up. Poor little girl. What a trooper she is.

I am just happy I don't have to put her down or give her up. Thanks to everyone for helping me cope with this. You guys rock.

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

I'm so sorry to hear about Cocoa! It sounds like she has a chance though without surgery. We all have our fingers crossed for Cocoa and hope she recovers without having to get the shots.
    Spresso
    Med School... watch out! Go Tigers!
    Click on these guys to help them hatch

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

I'm pulling for you too! What an awful thing to have to go through - especially poor Cocoa!

I'm glad that she's a trooper and sounds like there is some hope for the 2 of you. Hang in there and keep us posted!
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Queen of the World Chick baaaad_kitty's Avatar
    Name
    Katherine
    Thanks

Becky, i'm so sorry you have to go through this Cocoa doesn't seem to be getting worse, does she? crossing my fingers!
    Help my eggs hatch! Click them!
    Visit my Scroll HERE Help them hatch!

Thanks

there is nothing worse than not being able to help our pets what i'm about to say may offend some, and i apologize if it does, but when you know exactly how much money a vet makes (i.e., how little their drug/procedure expenses REALLY are), it saddens me when they can't make an exception once in a while.

i don't know what help this is, but i live right around the corner from the top canadian veterinary college - i wonder if someone there may be able to give you ideas? becky, if you would like contacts or info, let me know - i can pm you whatever info i can find.

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Naw, that doesn't offend (or surprise) me ... doctors are like that too, I bet.

I'm glad you might have a solution for Cocoa! She seems like such an angel. I'm pulling for you both!

Name
    Donna
    Thanks

Question Re: Prolapsed cloaca Trying to reply

Quote Originally Posted by Beeks View Post
    Shortly after coming to my home last August (within days) Cocoa (U2) prolapsed her cloaca. The vet ran cultures to determine if the cause was bacterial and found several types. We administered antibiotics for 2 weeks at which time he re cultured her. She had a clean slate, but was still prolapsed but not constantly. She could pull it back in when I cleaned the vent area, but it would still protrude during moments of excitement, or elimination or sometimes for no reason at all. He put a few stitches in her vent and besides constant vent cleaning, all seemed to be going ok. Six month later she was vet checked again and the vet was surprised to see the stitches still in place but left them in as she was not bothering them. Eventually they either fell out or she pulled them out and I notice a few weeks ago that she was prolapsing again, but only during times of high excitement or elimination, just as before. I called him and he took more cultures only to find her clean and now believes that a more invasive direction needs to be taken. Costly invasivness with no guarantees. Her vent is a mess and she has no control over elimination. I soak her everyother day in the tub and do what I can to keep her clean but it is a loosing battle. She is constantly prolapsed at this point.

I have spent over $2000 in the last several months on vet bills for two of my other animals. My coffers are depleted. Even my care credit is maxed out. This could not have come at a worse time. I fear I may be looking at euthanasia as the minimal cost for what needs to be done is $600-$800 without a very positive prognosis. So...here I am.

It is so hard to tell if a bird is in pain. I look at her and interact with her and, dirty butt not withstanding, she is her normal self for the most part accept that she has resorted to spending short periods of time at the bottom of her cage. She does not deserve this and sometimes I feel I do not deserve her. I have read so many horrible Too stories and none of them apply to her. She withstands her butt soakings and scrubbing without so much as a grumble. No toweling is necessary. Through all she has been through she has never once resorted to plucking screaming or aggression. We do not have a bird rescue in my area aside from the ASPCA where her last days would be amid strangers and chaos.

I am at the point now, that I would let her go to someone who had the money to try everything possible to give her back a normal life. It just sucks so bad when money becomes such an intimidating factor. I had to put two animals down in the last 4 months, but not for lack of vet care. They were old and it was just their time, but Cocoa is only 15 and one of the most well adjusted Toos you will ever come across. If somebody out there wants to take a chance with her, I am at the point where I would let her go to try and save her life.

I feel like such a loser right now, but I don't know what else to do.

If there are those of you out there who would like to come on and berate me for not exhausting all financial possibilities before taking such drastic actions, please save your breath. You could not possibly make me feel worse than I already do. If there was the money to be had, I would spend it in a heartbeat but when there is none...there is none.

My vet will be calling me again tomorrow with hopefully new information. I pray that he has come up with some alternative approach to surgery but I am not holding my breath.
    OMG this has got to be the most difficult site i have ever tried to access, What I have read here, I could not believe This is the identical situation WE are going through "RIGHT NOW" everything right up to the washing of the vent/butt area not even needing a towel. After getting to the end of your situation(which is identical to mine) It is "all about the money" and the vet really doesn't have a heart, I am sorry but this is what the Motive to this is!!!. Only difference with your situation and mine is Mine is a Budgie, this morning she sleeps unsteady on her feet. I have decieded Not to spend all that money and get the same results!! She has her days though most of them begin with the washing of the vent/butt. AND she sometimes doesn't have the streanth to eat, we just discovered our male budgie has been feeding her!!! this is how she is not starving, regurgitating. I aplolgize for the spelling I am just amazed to have found this!!!! And you have spent all that money, I have not spent a dime. Today is a bad day though My mind is really having a bad time with this today. I have decided I am going to let Nature take it's course, after all Mine is 12 year old, and a budgie, My heart goes out to you as well as me!! Glad I found this post. Remember after coming here with a open mind and the end conclusion "I have found" It's all about the money"

Name
    Donna
    Thanks

Re: Prolapsed cloaca Trying to reply

Quote Originally Posted by kodeek View Post
    OMG this has got to be the most difficult site i have ever tried to access, What I have read here, I could not believe This is the identical situation WE are going through "RIGHT NOW" everything right up to the washing of the vent/butt area not even needing a towel. After getting to the end of your situation(which is identical to mine) It is "all about the money" and the vet really doesn't have a heart, I am sorry but this is what the Motive to this is!!!. Only difference with your situation and mine is Mine is a Budgie, this morning she sleeps unsteady on her feet. I have decieded Not to spend all that money and get the same results!! She has her days though most of them begin with the washing of the vent/butt. AND she sometimes doesn't have the streanth to eat, we just discovered our male budgie has been feeding her!!! this is how she is not starving, regurgitating. I aplolgize for the spelling I am just amazed to have found this!!!! And you have spent all that money, I have not spent a dime. Today is a bad day though My mind is really having a bad time with this today. I have decided I am going to let Nature take it's course, after all Mine is 12 year old, and a budgie, My heart goes out to you as well as me!! Glad I found this post. Remember after coming here with a open mind and the end conclusion "I have found" It's all about the money"
    Never Jugde anybody Not when it comes to Money!! You are Not alone!!

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,248 Times in 1,247 Posts

I will pray your budgie will pass in peace, when nature takes its course. Twelve years is a long time to have a budgie, so I know you have been a caring and great budgie mom. Persona!ly, I think there is a time in their lives, when, we must decide to treat or not to treat by a vet. Please know am not heartless, and have homed budgies and cockatiels for many years. It is an individual decision, and I support your decision. At that age, I think the trauma of a vet exam, can cause them severe stress, and they may never recover from that trauma.

We will welcome your updates! Hugs to you and your precious budgie.

Name
    Donna
    Thanks

Thanks for your words of encouragement what you said really meant a lot to me an my decision. Chloe, our budgie is (like the old saying goes) a tough old bird! She is still going After that post I give her the best bath (after lpooing blood all that day) got the hardest bites fr her ever, that tells me she in pain. We couldn't belive our eyes after that bath I used a good lubricant "wet"next morning she was not staggering. She had the most spirit we had seen since this cloacal prolapse. Giving her homemade electrolytes. Budgie Bob feeding her. Not a drop of blood since! And pooing regularly, constipated but pooing now Bob's been by her side keeping the other budgies at bay, feeding her regularly, cleaning her, Chloe has been cleaning him back like YUPPY! Miracles Prayers an Prayers an Prayers. She''s even been over to their BIG cage inside on a perch only her an Bob share. It is so beautiful to watch him do everything he can to keep her alive. Have to let go let God, an let nature, fingers crossed, I know she must still have the cloacal prolapse. That cannot fix itself. Her butt looks so good, it is swelled nothing as bad as it was. Can I post before an after photos of this on this site? And your special words made me feel like I was OK with my decision an all our (an Bobs) work with her had not been for nothing. Wanted to thank you, to let you know your words were felt...

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

Awww!! She sure is a miracle bird!!!! Like I always say, I strongly feel our love for them totally makes the difference for them to keep going, even when it is something that cannot be totally healed.

Thanks for the update, and your kind words. And enjoy the two of them as long as possible. You are a great and awesome caregiver.

Tailfeather
    Name
    Ellen
    Thanks

And the pics you posted are soooo precious and special. That was quite the box you built for their nest box. Very creative.

Remove Ads