Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: SNOTTY Budgie!

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

SNOTTY Budgie!

Our 1 year old Budgie is exhibiting some very demanding behaviour over the past week or so.

Nothing about his situation has changed - same cage, same food, same room, same routine - same everything!

The only small thing that's changed is that recently we've started bringing his cage over to sit atop a coffee table by the big windows (still in the same room). We were worried he wasn't getting enough visual stimulation. Previously he had a full view of the apartment but not the outside, and we had the radio on a timer to stimulate him. Now we still have the radio on the timer, but I guess he's getting more visual stimulation (though there's not much to see except trees and the odd car) and also perhaps, more sunlight (though winter days aren't exactly bright where I live). The light is not direct, by the way, just because of how the apartment is angled. But we started doing that at least three weeks ago, and the behaviour didn't start then. It's only in the last week or so. I don't feel instinctively that he objects to the coffee table spot as he doesn't murmur at all when you're moving him over. He still sleeps up in his usual spot - we move him back at night.

He's also getting plently of sleep - we cover him about 10pm and uncover at 8am. There is no noise in his darkened room - not even traffic noise as we're not on a busy road. He seems in the best of health - feathers and beak are perfect. In fact we had a basic check up only a couple of months ago and the vet was very pleased with him. His appetite is fine etc.

The problem is, he is getting, to put it bluntly - SNOTTY!

Yesterday I uncovered him, put him down by his window, fed and watered him and left the room to get dressed. He sounded very annoyed - really loud grouchy noises. It's funny in a way I guess, as it sounds like pure b**ching! My husband said that maybe it was because his door wasn't open (he occasionally climbs out and perches on the roof of the cage) so I went in and opened his door. Nope - he didn't want to come out, and he was still snotty. At this stage I was like "What do you want???" I turned on the T.V. so he'd be distracted whilst I was busy getting dressed and making breakfast. He was still very noisy after that though.

That evening, we were sitting there watching T.V. - him still on his coffee table - and he was snotty as anything. My poor husband has a flu, and was worn out and not really able for this. I tried to play with our little pal, but he was still *****ing at me at the top of his voice. So it's not that he's looking for our attention, as he gets it plenty, and still gripes!

He is not moulting at the moment. He is agressive also when our hand is in the cage - but whilst he trusts us enough to climb on us when we're sitting on the ground he still has a deep distrust of fingers, so whilst that is annoying, it's not neccessarily new. He hasn't come out of his cage for the past few days either.

It's not 24/7, but he's gone from being a pretty placid bird to being one that occasionally enjoys a good tantrum. He still has the odd quiet night.

Could it be hormonal changes? He's a year old as I said, but does it happen in winter? Is there anything we can do?

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: SNOTTY Budgie!

Hormonal changes can happen at any time of the year. Do you notice any change in the color of his cere?

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

I read that the back of the birds cage should be against the wall so he/she will feel safer. The article also said don't place the cage too near a window because again the bird won't feel safe.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

The rapid barking noise is the typical "I'm happy to be alive" budgie noise.Sorry budgies are noisy.Our Sully chatters and barks all day long.We got used to it.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

My lovely ones are free! Hatching
    Name
    Deb
    Thanks

Yes, I worry when mine are quiet. Maybe he doesn't like the new area because he doesn't feel safe, or maybe he does like it.

Is he doing anything else while he's doing the rapid barking type noise? Is he bobbing his head up and down or flying from one perch to another? Maybe he's just communicating? Paulie does that a LOT, as a matter of fact, he's doing the rapid barking thing (I like that description Lori-Ann good one!) right now. That means he's usually ready to play or just wants everyone to know he's the king of his space right now.

When I had six (short brief period it seems like) it was wonderful, they would fuss like that at each other and soon they would be flying around the cage, stopping to grab something to eat and drink, then flying off again. Now I'm down to four and one of them is ill and the cage is mighty quiet to me right now.

You might try watching to make sure that where he is, he feels safe, because as healthy as he is right now, stress can make him ill. Changing the place where his cage is, while it might seem a small thing to you, is a pretty big deal to him Even across the room it's still not where he's used to and fids are creatures of habit and feel safe in that.
    AngelFace,Romeo, and Sal together again, God's little angels. Our hearts ache for you.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Hi, It's not really the rapid barking noise. I had a previous budgie who did that and it's a more complicated sound than that. Actually, this budgie doesn't make that noise at all. Since this isn't my first budgie, I am aware of their normal sounds and their normal volume. My point is that this isn't normal for THIS Budgie. My previous Budgie was quite elderly when I got him, and I think I skipped the hormonal changes that can occur.

This sound is just a heck of a lot louder in volume than his normal chatter, and it sounds like pure grouching. Ya know when Donald Duck gets into a temper? It kinda sounds like that. He typically does not head-bob during one of these phases. As I said before, playing doesn't seem to distract him for long. He'll play for 30 seconds then go back to grouching.

His cere is unchanged both in colour and appearance. Are there any other physical indications of hormonal changes I could look for? He looks exactly the same.

As to whether the change in location has prompted this, my gut tells me no, simply because even when he's up in his old "sleeping" place he still has fits of crankiness from time to time. In the case I mentioned before, when my husband was flu-ey and it was driving him crazy, he was up in his old place.

I wasn't aware that Budgies are supposed to have their cage backing onto a wall or that they weren't supposed to be near a window. I suppose in an ideal house it would be possible to find a place that suits both criteria, but in my small apartment, it's either back to the wall with no outside view in a fairly dark corner (which is where he sleeps), or near a window during the day with no wall for his cage to back onto to give him something to look at. So it's either/or I'm afraid. I'm obviously reluctant to take away his daytime view as I feel it's improving his quality of life, but if it's something I have to consider then of course I will.