Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Name
    Meredith
    Thanks

Re: The Eclectus Journey - He has a name!!! (Name on P.4)

Hey guys!!!!

It took me awhile to find this thread, I guess I haven't posted here in a while. Anyway, I saw the little one again Wednesday the 19th and have new pictures for you all.

Before the pictures come a little update!!! Conner is doing very well and still as friendly and lovable as ever. You can tell he is starting to grow up as now when I talk to him he will cock his head and listen and ever now and then will make a little sound as if he is responding to me. So cute!!!! He is now starting to play with toys much more!!! Before he wasn't very interested in the toys and now he is having a blast with this. His perching is coming along very well and he is just a doll.

This Wednesaday was the very first time I ask him to step up and at first he had no idea what I was asking of him, but by the time our visit was over he was steping up on my finger like he has been doing it for years. I was so proud of him to see that he learned how to step up in only about 30 minutes. Yay for Conner!!!!!

Anyway - here are his pics!!!!!

Hmm , this looks like fun - I like, I like!!!!

Mommy, please buy me a toy like this - it's fuuuuun.

Fooooood!!! Us Ekkies love to eat - the pea is pretty good.

Huh? What is this I am standing on??

:Shake: Geesh this world is so confusing.

Now I better look cute for mommy

Hey - what's down there?

What is that thing you are looking through?

What? Not me - I didn't do anything

Hey look - I found another toy!!!
    Meredith

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: The Eclectus Journey - (Newest pics P.5)

Aww, cute! When do you bring him home?

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Connor sure is a cutie! I just love Connor updates - specially when they include pics!

Connor is growing up. Bet you just can't WAIT to get him home!
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

Awww, what a handsome boy!! Thanks for the pics.
    Heather

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

I love Conner, and I love his pics!!

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

Oh man my hubby is so jealous!!! He has for a while wanted a ale eclectus... What a cutie by the way!!
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Critter protector Brand New Egg
    Name
    Courtney
    Thanks

Ok ok ok Whens the Emerald green one Coming home??? I and I'm sure everyone else is VERY curious about that is he already home or is he coming home this weekend???

Name
    Meredith
    Thanks

Keiko is not home yet and when he comes home is still up in the air. He was to come home last week, but sadly he regressed back to his formula which I know is a common thing.

He was refusing his feeding and then last week he took 30 CC's and the next night he took the whole 55 CC's, so he completely regressed.

I am not worried about it though because Big Bird regressed before I brought her home twice and then after she was home she stopped eating and I had to hand feed her, so she regressed again once home.

I know it will happen and he will be off the formula soon. I am really not in a rush as I rather him be ready to come home then come home to early and have something happen. I sent the breeder an email tonight to see where he is on his formula and I will probably hear back from her in a few days. I will let you guys know when I know something!!!!!
    Meredith

The ferretlady Teenager wolfysluv's Avatar
    Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Does anyone here know ... how common or uncommon is it for ekkies to feather pluck? I saw a plucker at a bird store once. And I have an online friend who has one in cali. My friend in Cali has spent THOUSANDS of dollars the past two years doing every medical test and expensive diet, etc, possible. Nothing helps. The only thing she has not tried is hormone shots. In her bird's case it's seasonal/hormonal. She says that type of plucking can be seen in these birds. Well it shied me away from every owning one. What do you guys all know of the subject?

Name
    Meredith
    Thanks

Re: The Eclectus Journey - He has a name!!! (Name on P.4)

Wolfy: I actually answered this question for you awhile ago, maybe you didn't see it, but here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by MGA828 View Post
    Wolfy: Conner is now 3 1/2 months old - as for plucking Ekkies can become pluckers, but more times then not they won't be pluckers. They are not prone to it as the toos are, but it can happen. It is just like any other bird, some will pluck and some won't. They have a higher chance of it then say the little ones like lovies or Tiels or even Conures, but not as much as a chance as toos or greys. I asked my breeder about it and she tries to keep in touch with all her babies new parents and she told me that she hasn't had a baby ekkie yet that has grown up and become a plucker. Like most birds Ekkies will pluck due to stress, boredom, anxiety, etc. but there main cause for plucking is a nutritional imbalance. I would not consider them prone to plucking and wouldn't really worry about it until you noticed a problem. Afterall - all of my breeders ekkies are non pluckers and I know many other ekkies myself that are also non pluckers.
    Meredith

The ferretlady Teenager wolfysluv's Avatar
    Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Yah, I missed that. Thanks SO much for writing about that. That info helps a lot. I"ve been dying to know all about this. An Ekkie has always been my hubbies dream bird. and I've been "scared". I understand toos run the largest risk. And that greys also have some risk. After that I wasnt' sure which larger birds ran a risk or how much. I had no idea if an ekkie was super high on that list or not ... until now. Thanks!

I really have to wonder about genetics sometimes with some of the plucking in our pet birds. The fact that your breeder doesn't have it, or a lot of it, says a lot I bet. It's really good to know. I have no way of knowing about my breeder ... she's just very average, nothing really good. But very good when compared to anyone else in this area if you know what I mean. I"m not using her again. If I get a bird that is not a rescue, I'll drive to any lenghs to a really good breeder.

The reason I look to genetics for at least a little of the reason for plucking in today's times, is generations ago people did not know a hoot about nutrition or what proper caging was. And you know what? Pluckers were rarely seen. There they were on seed in these little cages, etc. No plucking much of the time. Now how can that be? I figure the best of the best and strongest of the strong were able to survive being taken out of the wild and transported in horrid conditions back then. The best of the genetic stock that had a wide varied genetic pool. Today, if you think about it, even the weakest of the birds born are nurtured and allowed to live on ... even to breed. The gene pool is very narrow in the states now as compared to the wild since most parrots are captive bred and unfortunately ... anyone can breed since it's so easy compared to other animals.

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

Ekkies are sensitive birds, not unlike IRNS, but they are sensitive in a different way. If they are not socialized right or conditioned to be used to change, they can pluck for what seems like no reason. If you move a chair, they can pluck. But mind you this is when they are not properly brought up. All birds can pluck, but there are certain birds that are more commonly seen as pluckers. I have seen many Eclectus pluck. I think almost every Ekkie I have seen in a rescue has been a plucker (almost every one of them). But it all depends on how they are raised, socialized and conditioned to changes in their environment. Also if they are fed a diet with artificial color they can pluck.

Wolfy, so far, they have not shown that plucking can be genetic since babies who pluck can come from perfectly feathered parents and babies that are perfectly feathered can come from completely bald parents. But I think you are on to something about the gene pool getting smaller......
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!