Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Rats!

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

My Rats!

The 'Rodent' thread inspired me to post a few pictures of my ratties.

I have 6 neutered males. I got my first 2 a year ago after years of waiting.

Trip and Corbin --

After a couple months, I rescued Stewart - pictured w/ Corbin - from being snake food --

Unfortunately, I'm horribly, terribly allergic to them. I break into hives when they touch my skin. My throat starts closing up when I spend too much time around them, my eyes water/burn and I can't stop sneezing. So I decided no more rats.

Then came Terry --

I was asked by some co-workers to take him because he was spinning in circles and throwing his head around. I took him to the vet, who said he had central nerve damage similar to Parkinson's. I put him in a smaller cage to prevent falls, and he seemed depressed by himself. I bought the last of his brothers, a dumbo rex. Doodle and Terry --

Then I really drew the line. Until my coworkers begged me to save a rat who'd been adopted twice and returned both times for biting, and then he bit an employee. This is Beelz --

They've recently been thrown in together to lessen my physical discomfort and because I don't want Beelz to be living alone. I try to re-arrange the cage now and then. Here's from a while ago --

The most recent incarnation--

Name
    Cammy
    Thanks

Re: My Rats!

Aww ratties! That sucks you are allergic to them Their cage looks awesome, you are an extremely good person for taking in all those ratties.
    Spresso
    Med School... watch out! Go Tigers!
    Click on these guys to help them hatch

Name
    Angie
    Thanks

You have a very nice setup for your rats!! They are cute! I like the pic of Terry. I like his face.
    1 Tiel, Mo
    3 dogs-Black Lab mix, Zeppelin ~ Brindle Boxer, Sly
    ~Mini Schnauzer Renesme A.K.A. Nessie

R.I.P. Bear
    R.I.P. Daisy

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

NIce Ratties.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ang1477 View Post
    You have a very nice setup for your rats!! They are cute! I like the pic of Terry. I like his face.
    He's a doll, thanks

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Awww, so sweet. I had rats as a kid and I loved them sooo much. They just dont life long enough - I was heartbroken when mine died - so that's why I dont have them now.

You are a good person for giving all those sweeties a good home!

Name
    Meredith
    Thanks

I am not a rat person, but I also don't dislike them at all - I do have to say that I love Terry, that face and those markings are so cute.
    Meredith

Banned Five Eggs Laid!
    Name
    Nathan
    Thanks

They are just stunning

I have always (since I remember) wanted rats, and have begged for years to get two! I wanted 2 males (agouti hooded and black hooded) named Taz and Basil. Or two girls (same colours) named Zena and Zelda One day I will get a pair (same sex, probably female) and will join the "I OWN RATS" club I wish I lived on my own now (only reason I dont have rats is becuase I still live at home) as our local pet shop got THE CUTEST shipment in of TAME, freindly, non-nippy fancies (in all colours and sexes). They are just adorable. I watched them for a while (maybe 20min non stop) and picked out two I wanted. One was a agouti capped with a star on her forehead, and the other was a dark black mismakred hooded female with a white stripe down inbetween her head, to her nose. They both had clean pink tails, and adorable baby ears and feet lol

I also really like Terry, and Trip. Terry is what, a mismarked black capped? And Trip a black blazed mismarked? He's not berkshire, or else he would not have the adorable white fuzzy blaze that I love *melt*

Kirby

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

i love rats too, i had ,master splinter and buffman, great rats .
    juliet
    im owned by merlin,[bird protecting cattle dog],2 budgies[beaker and punkinhead],25 silky chickens and 9very funny looking mixed breed bantam chix.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

LOL Kirby, I honestly don't know what Terry is except a spnning, head-whipping fool.

The 300 bucks I spent getting these 6 neutered was incredibly well spent. I went from three cages to one, and they are all getting along so well. I'm so happy about that. Last night Terry was navigating the upper levels, and I was ecstatic.

I love the agouti rats, and I would have loved to have gotten a couple females, too, but because of my severe allergies, I won't be getting anymore after these 6 pass. If you do get females, get them spayed, especially if they come from a pet store and not a good breeder. The females almost always end up with tumors.

TRIP I have been told by several rat people, is a blazed Berkshire. I never really spent too much time learning the different patterns, as I had/have no breeding intention, nor did I really pick my rats out, except Trip, he just wouldn't get out of my head, so I never really had a plan of what color/pattern combos I really wanted.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Baby Trip

Last edited by AmberD; 11-17-2007 at 04:08 PM. Reason: script error

Banned Five Eggs Laid!
    Name
    Nathan
    Thanks

OMGOODNESS *melt*

Trip is soooo adorable as a bub, and that silver agouti hooded is stunning, who was/is that?

I thought berkshire at 1st, but Im pretty sure they cannot have other markings other than on their belly, btu am not 100% as to the official standard lol. I love all your guys, they are stunning. I thought about neutering males, but we will see. As for females, yes that is one of the drag backs I hate (tumor chances, up to 90% ). Speaking of females, in one of my LPS tonight, I saw 2 stunning light agouti heavily hooded bubs, probably 5 weeks. They were so little, and tame! They were sleeping, but when I cam up the one woke up, came out to say hi (at the bars) and her sister followed. They then were running/climbing about in their decent clean cage (surprised for that specific pet shop) and I melted Their little baby pink tails were only about 4"-5" and squeky clean

ps- I should also note that I named them Zena and Zelda bad sign, I know (lol)

Kirby

Name
    Erin
    Thanks

my boyfriend, a few years back, introduced me to the world of rats. i was skeptical at first, but when he brought some down for a visit (we were dating long-distance at the time), i fell in love. one of the little boogers even escaped before my boyfriend had to go home and that's how i ended up with ben, my first rat.

soon after, five (his name) joined and i had them both for about 12-14 months. can't remember. i had to give them back due to SEVERE allergies that got worse as they got older. it was because of their dander.

i loved them both so much and they really did make amazing pets. they were tame, came out and played every day, didn't bite and would eat just about anything you gave to them. i really loved having them as pets and would have had them for many years if it weren't because of my allergies.

even when my boyfriend moved here, we kept them in the basement (the ones he had left), but my allergies were so bad i couldn't even be in the basement. so we had to give them away to the humane society.

i loved my ratties ben and five very much! yours are adorable and one of yours (trip) looks a lot like my ben.

five:

ben:
    Mateo (cockatiel), Chirpa (parakeet), Nigel/la (parakeet), Nico (parakeet), WeeWoo (parakeet) and Peri (parakeet).

Banned Five Eggs Laid!
    Name
    Nathan
    Thanks

Sooo cute Erin Such a sad story, they looked so happy with you guys

*sigh* Why do rats have to be so cute?

Kirby

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    OMGOODNESS *melt*

Trip is soooo adorable as a bub, and that silver agouti hooded is stunning, who was/is that?
    That, is just gray/white Corbin.

Quick look-up, http://www.afrma.org/ratmkd.htm American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association, tells me that Blazes are only allowed in Berkshire and Variegated

Remove Ads