Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Broken blood feather

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Broken blood feather

Tonight Zephyr broke a blood feather. None of my other birds have ever done this, so I'm a bit at a loss. She's not bleeding too much right now at all, and I put flour on it to help coagulate the blood. I washed her off and we tried to find the feather so I could pull it out, but I couldn't find it - I think it happened very close to the skin perhaps.

Is there anything I can/should do right now? Does it need plucked? If so, since I can't find it, I plan on taking her into the vet tomorrow to have it done. However, any encouragement/words of advice would be greatly appreciated right now.

Name
    Celeste
    Thanks

Re: Broken blood feather

Cosmo is a chronic feather breaker, I pull the with a hemostat (you can use a needle nosed plyers) and make sure to support the wing while you do that. The flour works, that's what I used before I had a blood stopping powder. I've read in a first aid pamphlet that if it continues to bleed after you've used flour you should apply a drop of superglue onto the area of feather after it's dried, if it continues after that contact a vet. Good luck I know it's nerve wracking.

Thanks

Right, but the only thing is that I can't see exactly where the feather is, and I don't want to just start pulling feathers at random...

Name
    Celeste
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mighty mouse View Post
    Right, but the only thing is that I can't see exactly where the feather is, and I don't want to just start pulling feathers at random...
    Yeah, he wouldn't appreciate that. It might have broken under the skin or something, sorry I can't be much help then.

Thanks

She seems to be doing fine; the bleeding is stopped, even after she did a round of flappies (much to my dismay.) We're going to keep an eye on her, and if it looks like she needs it tomorrow, we'll get her into the vet... hopefully she won't need it though!

Thanks

I just checked on her this morning, and there's no new blood... she did make a disgruntled noise though, she's apparently still wanting to sleep. I'll update again later when she's awake and I can give her a good look-over.

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

corn starch works even better than flour, styptic powder,pencil ,or silver nitrate will cauterize it, [you have to get that from a vet but i keep it on hand for when all else fails, ]she should be fine no, the feather should have sealed by now ,just watch she doesnt bump it, it will harded like it never broke in time, she may have a problem moulting that one so just watch it, good luck,
    juliet
    im owned by merlin,[bird protecting cattle dog],2 budgies[beaker and punkinhead],25 silky chickens and 9very funny looking mixed breed bantam chix.

Name
    Helen
    Thanks

you can get silver nitrate from chemists.
    i really wouldnt use superglue unless its an emergency... i've used it on myself and it HURTS. i also dont know what would happen if it got chewed
    i know silver nitrate helps prevent infection tho.

Thanks

So far I've only put flour on it - I tried to pull it last night, but I think the feather broke - the end wasn't bulbous. She bled just a tiny bit, flour took care of it, and it looks good this morning too. I gave her a bath to wash away any dried blood she hadn't preened off over the night, and it looked clean.... should I do anything more, or just keep an eye on it?

Name
    Celeste
    Thanks

I would personally just keep an eye on it.

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

shell be fine, i do like the silver nitrate for bad bleeding though ,dogs birds ect..... glad shes ok, that feather will come out in molt just watch the area,
    juliet
    im owned by merlin,[bird protecting cattle dog],2 budgies[beaker and punkinhead],25 silky chickens and 9very funny looking mixed breed bantam chix.

Name
    Bonnie
    Thanks

My vet is highly opposed to using any time of glue or chemical, it does hurt them quite a bit.

Cornstarch is best, flour is a runner-up if you don't have cornstarch (but you should get some). Flour also makes a bigger mess when water is added

Broken blood feathers are only a problem if they continue to bleed. When mine break blood feathers, i look at the area, if i can't find anything i just change their cage immediately to plain white paper so i can easily spot more blood, and add some cornstarch ONLY if it's still bleeding

Sounds like you're on the right track, i wouldn't worry overly much

Thanks

Thanks everyone! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something... right now she's going through a major molt (she's becoming a big-girl now!) so I'll keep an eye out for any new ones...

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Does anyone know if Bugs do what Tiels do and pull their broken bloodfeathers out? Because Bella usually yanks any damaged feathers out before I even know she's broken any.

Thanks

I'm not sure.. Zephyr has been preening the area a bit today, but she's got other pin feathers, so she may just be trying to get those out.