Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Board or not to Board ??

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

To Board or not to Board ??

We are going out of town for Thanksgiving and I'm try to decide if I should board Buddy, or just put out extra food and leave her at home.

If she stayed home I'd leave the TV on, but no lights so maybe she would sleep since I wouldn't be here to cover her.

If I board her it would be with our avairy vet and there's always the risk of her coming in contact with sick birds, or at least their germs at the vet's office, and if they cover her at night it would be way too early. She would probably be covered from 6pm to 7am, or later. It's times like this I wish there were no animals at my house. I just hate leaving them.

We will be gone from Wed. afternoon, until Friday afternoon. I thought about getting a small cage and taking her with us, but I think that might be more stressful for her than staying home alone. :-( It's at least a 3 hour drive.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: To Board or not to Board ??

Do you have anyone that could check on her while you are gone? If you have someone that could come in, change the water, food, papers, talk to her a bit that would be be best. Leaving her alone that long could be trouble. Boarding or taking her with you may be stressful. Any neighbors or friends that you could ask?

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

I agree... having a friend come and check on her would probably be the least stressfull. That's what I do with my animals if I'm out of town.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

No, there's really not anyone who can come check on her. We live too far out. I'll just have to wing it and pray she will be okay. She's used to spending some time alone, so hopefully she will be okay.

Name
    Annie
    Thanks

Does she have a mirror in her cage if she does you wouldn't need to leave the TV on because she would amuse herself. I think you should either leave her at home or ask one of your family or friends to keep him at their house. I have done it before and my bird was fine.

Thanks

Keep in mind birds can starve to death very quickly... also they soil and dirty their waters, and it should be changed multiple times a day. You are going to be away for a bit of time, so if you do decide to just leave her on her own make sure you've got everything she needs...

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Yes, If I leave her she will have food enough for a week, even though we will only be gone 2 nights. I'm still considering taking her will me, and I'm going to check with the vet today about possible boarding. At least they would make sure she had food and clean water.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Hi pittypat.
    While this is to late for this trip,perhaps consider converting Buddy to a water bottle.Sully took to it quickly.Both he & Merlin use water bottles only.Oliver is still learning.I use inexpensive rodent water bottles with the stainless steel spout/ball mechanism.Be sure it is stainless steel.I change the water every 2 days and check couple times daily that the spout is running freely.While away I leave both a dish of water and two bottles each(in case one plugs) to ensure they have water.
    Last edited by ~Lori~; 11-12-2007 at 11:11 AM.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Thanks

Good advice, Lori Ann... My birds are on waterbottles too, so if I am away for a few days they have clean water.

Found a Mate
    Name
    Jane Jacinto
    Thanks

Is there anyone that you could take to, for them to watch at their home? Hate leaving bird at vets, just to many bugs for me.
    Jane

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

That's a good idea about the water bottle. I'll get one tomorrow. I did call the Vet and they don't board birds. She will either go with us or stay here alone. I'm thinking of letting her have a mirror in the cage now that's she's tame. Maybe that will keep her amused while we're gone, and also maybe it will keep her from going after my husband so much. She LOVES him. :-)

Thanks

If you do get a waterbottle, make SURE she is drinking from it before taking her water dish away; I left my water dish in for an entire week even after I saw them always using the water bottle to be certain.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Yes, she will have both the water dish, the water bottle, plenty of food in crock dishes she can't spill, her new mirror friend, and soft music playing.
    Thanks for everyone's help.

Egg's Cracking...
    Thanks

Forgot to say Buddy is always very curious about anything new I put in the cage. I bet she will figure the water bottle out right away, and we aren't leaving for another week.

Thanks

Let us know how it goes! Have a good, safe trip

Remove Ads