where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Big Beaks!

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

Big Beaks!

I have questions for some of the bigger parrot owners here (macaws, amazons, cockatoos, African grays, etc.)

For those of you that own larger parrots, how many of you have lost a body part? Such as a piece of an ear, finger, toe, nose, etc.? What about scarring? How many have scars (not necessarily lost a body part, but scarred from a deep wound)?

How many of you trust your big parrot completely?

Thank you for any and all input!
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Name
    Traci
    Thanks

Re: Big Beaks!

Now thats a funny one, I have 5 larger birds which none have ever really bit me enough to bleed alot, Now my ohhh sooo poor little handicapped quakers are another story... one of them took a good bite out of the end of my nose one day and a few finger bites here n there..... opps I tend to trust the bigger birds more than the smaller ones
    "It isn't a coincidence that both birds and angels have wings."

Owned by O'malley the GCC Hatching Jeff & Lana's Avatar
    Name
    Jeff & Lana
    Thanks

I have seen similar questions asked on another board. It seems as if most of the time more damage is done by the smaller parrots. It's almost as if they have something to prove to the world. I wonder if the larger parrots know just how much pressure to use to get their point across?

The ferretlady Teenager wolfysluv's Avatar
    Name
    Wolfy
    Thanks

Well, if Sunny had a big beak ... I would have lost all of my fingers long ago (he is a tiel, a very sweet one, but a saucy one). Only cause he gets cranky and wants to boss me around.

Tika the too, um, she's pierced the skin a couple of times. But not bad. No real blood. When she chomps down, I think the scariest part is the pressure. I mean I have to wonder if she could crack a bone if she wanted to. I've only had a big parrot for ten months. I'm not a good person to ask. I can't trust her, but I cant' resist putting my face all in her, on her, curling her up under my chin, carrying her on my shoulder. Those really aren't the times I'm scared of her I guess cause I can anticipate her biting, or because so extra alert from always having a bit of fear. The bad times, come when she gets overstimmed. She has actually charged our faces in full display. She cant' stand if my husband falls asleep, she'll run across the room, display, and jump at his face to rip it off. We've been very lucky and stopped those episodes. I guess what I"m trying to say is that its the unprovoked impulsive things she does when I am not loving on her and she is so close that are dangersous. Sunny the tiel, is fully predicatable. WIth him, if I get bit, it's 100% my fault and preventable. Tika is not that way.

Thanks

does a hormonal lovebird count as a big bird?

Caique Crazy! Tailfeather BareFootAviary's Avatar
    Name
    Briana
    Thanks

I got a big bite today from Dweezel, he's not that big, but he sure has a sharp beak!
    "I'd rather be the one in love than to be loved and never even known."

Signature made by Emery!
    My Aviary's Website
    Current Parrot Jewelry in stock!

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

This is an interesting thread, I've wondered these questions myself. I was bit by our TAG at work one day when he was testing me, and he didn't break skin, but it was that same pressure Wolfy mentioned... I finally had to let him win and pull my finger away from his beak when the tip of my finger started to go purple... much longer and I don't know what would have happened.

Of course, after all this, he looked at me asking for scritches and then was a total sweetie for me

His Royal Greyness' Mom Chick spoosrule's Avatar
    Name
    Melissa
    Thanks

I have only owned a medium sized parrot (I consider Macaws large) for a little over a month. Max is a Congo African Grey and no, I don't trust him completely. However he is very playful and uses his beak and understands that he must be gentle. That said, I am always careful about watching his body language to know that he is still playing and doesn't want to be left alone. I have not sustained any bites since bringing him home.

Name
    Andrea
    Thanks

I would rather be bitten by a macaw than crouton's lovebird and that is being 100% honest.

My experience is Macaws pinch that leave bruises, cockatoos rip that needs stiches, amazons attack like pitbulls, greys strike quick and hard and you are bleeding before you know it, smaller birds like lovebirds, parrotlets, and tiels and others bite bite bite and have to be pried off.

Of all my birds, one of my tiels bites the worst. I was attacked by a quaker 2 days ago that left a nasty bite on my chin.
    Proud Flock Leader of
    Tucker (B&G), Paco (Scarlet), Alex & Beakers (TAGS), Shilou, Stitch, SweetPea, Fat Boy, BooBoo, Clipper,
    Shyanne, Marco, Buddy, Sunshine, Marley & Angel (Quakers), Minnie & Pearl (Sun Conures), Elvis & Priscilla (BCC), Bailey & Cocoa (Senegal),
    Patters (Parrotlet), Lilly & Star (Parrotlets), Sonny & Cher (PFC), Baker (BM Lovebirds),
    Josh, Rio & Ralfe (Tiels), Squirt & Nibbles (GCC), 2 Canaries, 2 Diamond Doves, 4 Button Quail,
    2 Java Finches, and approx 50 other finches - society, gouldian, cordon bleus, orange cheek waxbills, owl, mannakins, & strawberry
    Abby & Jazzy (Boxers), Harley & Gracy (Yorkies)

Name
    Rachel
    Thanks

I have never lost a body part and hope I never do.
    Charlie really doesn't break the skin that often...just like moonlite says...macaws usually just pinch and leave bruises...sometimes some are worse than others.

He has suprised me and broke the skin a few times. Once that I remember..he was on top of his cage and I went to get him...he warned me but I still tried to get him to step up so he gave me a good bite on my ring finger. It was bleeding bad and now its scarred (right on the part that bends) and still hurts sometimes...I think that is the worst he has given me and thats really not that bad considering it didn't even need stitches.

I would rather get bit by a macaw than a little bird any day..those little beaks HURT.

Even though he is my baby and usually a good bird...I still know that someday he could cause serious damage and thats just a risk that I have to take. I knew that before getting him and I would never blame him for it.

Cockatiels- JayJay, Jackie, Cosmo, Precious, Dakota, Jasper, Layla, Luna, Zazu and Teasel
    B&G Macaw- Charlie
    Cats- Bosco, Abby, Bear, Molly, Max and Buddy

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

Ruby my CAG has drawn blood but I take the blame for that. She was scared of something and I attempted to handle her anyway and she bit out of fear. I just had her on my arm a few hours ago and we were having a complete blast. She lets me grab her beak and hold her head and gives plenty of kisses. I trust her completely when it is just me and her. She was just having a ball putting each of my fingers in her mouth and attempting to clip my fingernails? LOL. I am not quite sure what she was trying to do but she was extremely gentle and I did not have any fear that she would bite.
    When my daughter came in Ruby tensed right up, she did not bite but I know she would rather be in her safe place, her cage. So back to the bird room she went.
    She is and has always been a one person bird and does not like to come out and play with me when anyone else is around.
    I tried to get her to bond with the other family members but they are all intimidated by her so they gave up years ago.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moonlite121 View Post
    smaller birds like lovebirds, parrotlets, and tiels and others bite bite bite and have to be pried off.
    I agree... when Zephyr bites, she starts to chew... it hurts sometimes!

Four More Babies Hatched! Jojo's zoo's Avatar
    Name
    Joanna
    Thanks

Yikes, small birds scare me a bit now.

Yes, I've lost a body part: my heart.

Nope, never been bitten very badly. I find my birds (amazons) extremely easy to read. I mean, there's just no secretiveness or reservedness with an amazon. If he's happy, you KNOW it. If he's sad, you KNOW it. If he's mad, you KNOW, scared, you KNOW, horny, you REALLY know. (Cuz Benny takes me to the "gun show" regularly, and I know not to touch him while hes being his sexy self ) Every time I've been bitten is because I saw all the signs and decided to ignore them because I just couldn't resist. So they've bruised, and once Flora was REALLY ****** and bit me right where the fingernail meets the skin and broke the skin, but again, that was because I was in a hurry and she WASN'T, and I decided to push her anyway.

No, I never fear them, but that said, I'm pretty careful around them, too. I let Flora on my shoulder because I find her totally predictable, and hard to throw into overload, whereas Benny is NOT allowed because he's easily overloaded and just more reactive in general, and I don't really want him near my eyes should he decide to go to the "gun show" while up there.

Name
    Morgan
    Thanks

I have a couple little scars from large birds. One from Sugar Ray " very tiny" the rest came from birds I worked with when a use to work at the pet store a few years ago.

Name
    Heather
    Thanks

I don't have a large bird, but I have to chime in here. Ichi, my smallest bird (weight wise) has given me my worst bite yet. No blood, but it HURT!! She's a feisty little b...i...t...c...........errr......bird. LOL!!!!
    Heather

Remove Ads