Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Sleep/Travel Cage

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks

Sleep/Travel Cage

Hello,
    I'll be getting a green cheek in a couple months and have a question about purchasing a travel/sleep cage.

I know I'll need a travel cage because I live in an apartment about 2 hours north of home so I go visit every once in a while and I'll of course be taking the bird with me.

Also, I'm planning to use a sleep cage for the bird because his/her main cage will be in the living room but I doubt it will be quite when it is time for the little one to go to bed.

SO, what size cage would be good for a sleep cage and short weekend travel like 3 days...?

If I plan on making more than a weekend trip the main cage will be broken down and brought with me.

Here is what a quick search brought up:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Medium-Parro...QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mega-Come-Along-...QQcmdZViewItem

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

Re: Sleep/Travel Cage

I have the first one (the wire one) and I really like it. There are two sizes to this one (I didn't notice which one you were interested in), but the larger one has bar spacing that is too big for a conure. The smaller one is just right. I like this one and just recently took it to Seattle with me. It worked well to hang Darwin sleeping hut from too. I would be afraid with the cloth one that you couldnt hang things from it (toys, huts, perches) for your bird to play with in the car or while you are away from home.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barb View Post
    I have the first one (the wire one) and I really like it. There are two sizes to this one (I didn't notice which one you were interested in), but the larger one has bar spacing that is too big for a conure. The smaller one is just right. I like this one and just recently took it to Seattle with me. It worked well to hang Darwin sleeping hut from too. I would be afraid with the cloth one that you couldnt hang things from it (toys, huts, perches) for your bird to play with in the car or while you are away from home.
    Thanks for the quick response! Do you think that the medium size would be ok for a weekend trip?

I just found this one too...http://www.thecountryroost.com/catal...products_id=97
    Last edited by Crazyconscious; 11-27-2007 at 04:48 PM.

Name
    Barb
    Thanks

That looks like the same one to me...and the same dimensions I have. I guess I was calling this one the small one. The problem with the bigger one is the bar spacing, so as long as you are under 5/8 (which this one is) I think you will be fine.

I definitely think it would be fine for a weekend trip if your bird has lots of outside cage time too. Darwin really wanted to be out of the cage whenever he could, and I wouldn't leave him in it for more than 4 hours or so. But I do think it beats most alternatives. One thing you might consider, is getting him a separate cage for your home. Maybe one you can just keep there and have him have two cages. I guess it depends on how often you go

Hatching
    Name
    Sara
    Thanks

i have the second one, i like it a lot! its more "comfortable" and its smaller so koda cant freak out and fly around in there, i also puta small towel in there for him to feel a little more comforatable.. another thing that i like about it is that there is only a small window for your bird to look through. lol Koda actually gets car sick when he can see things moving while he's not. lol so thats a deffinatly plus for the both of us. i highly recomend it.. every customer that i've talked to at petsmart [i work there] likes this a lot when i tell them about it. so its a pretty good one..

hope this helpped you out!

Thank You Cara!!

UTSA Roadrunners '11 Fledgeling miss_emily07's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

The first one would work as a better travel cage if you are going to be doing like "weekend" travels. The second one is good if you are going to making trips to the vet or the petstore or something like that.
    Yours Truely, Emily

UTSA Roadrunners '11 Fledgeling miss_emily07's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Thanks

I know you mentioned that you are planning on having a "bird room" for you future GCC. You probably wont need a sleep cage then...honestly, my birds are in my room and they don't even have a sleep cage.
    Yours Truely, Emily

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

I used to have the second one, but I threw it out because my sun shredded the black lining on the inside and I wouldn't want him to accidentally ingest any of it. Also, he hated it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Andy
    Thanks

Thanks for the help everybody!

I'm prob going to be ordering the first one. But before I do that I'm going over to check the local pet stores for some tiel cages that might work too.

Name
    Laura
    Thanks

Sorry, I didn't get back to you sooner I was out of town. Skittles sleep cage is the first cage I bought. It was a sixty$ cage from Petsmart; I went to buy cat food for my 14 yr old baby and fell in love with him. BTW I think all the reseach you are doing is wonderful, I can't wait to see your baby when you finally bring him/her home. He/she is going to be a very lucky bird.

Jazzy-Jazz & Tango, too! Hatching ConureMama's Avatar
    Name
    Laurie
    Thanks

Hi Andy!
    I don't have a lot of info about sleep cages, but as far as travel cages, I actually use my cat carrier. I put a towel in it so that I can change it easily when it gets dirty, put a perch between the bars on the door of it, and mine also has an opening top, so I try to hang a couple of toys down from there. That way, too, I can stick my fingers between the bars for some added birdie-comfort at times! I think the cage was only about $25 (I bought it so long ago, though, I'm not quite sure!), and it's multi-pet purposeful!!
    ~Laurie, Jasper, & Tango

Thanks

i bought the adventure pack its great!!!! for travelling because you can secure it with a seatbelt in the car and take it out of the backpack when you get to where your staying http://www.flyingsouth.com/index.asp...PROD&ProdID=27

Chico my baby!!!!!

Remove Ads