where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: Samson [dog]

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Samson [dog]

A little over a year ago, I had an appointment for a Shih Tzu puppy. He was cute. He was evil. Shih Tzu puppies are usually bad, but this one was evil. So evil, I handed him to my manager and said, 'Here, have a puppy.' Because I was done. I was not going to accidentally stab that writhing, snarling, screaming, biting demon in the eye trying to trim his face, nor was I going to have his eyes pop out of his head while he was in my care. That happens sometimes with highly stressed Shih Tzus.

But after I calmed down, I finished him. And thus began our relationship. He belonged to a little old lady who probably never should have gotten a puppy. Especially not such a cute one who was so easy to spoil. Because he was spoiled. And spoiled Shih Tzu puppies are no fun. Grooming him was no fun. He constantly tried to eat me, eat my scssors, eat my brushes. He came to me exclusively in hopes he would get used to me. And he did. He 'got' that I wasn't going to take his crap, and so he stopped biting so much. Growling when I hit mats, once in a while snapping, but I always put the brush in front of him so he'd bite that instead. He learned, but it was hard, because he was always matted. The old lady wanted him long, but she couldn't brush him because he bit her.

The worst part of this, and what really did him in is the fact that his owner had really super sensitive skin that tore and bruised insanely easily. His nails had to be filed regularly because what would be a scratch on most people that would disappear in an hour, on her tore her skin open, bled profusely, and turned black. I saw it with my own eyes once when he lept from her arms to mine, scratching her arm in the process. Horrifying. And when he bit her... well, you can imagine a third of her hand black and blue. Dark black and blue. And sometimes, she would say she was going to have him put down, because he was tearing her up. It bothered me, but I never took her as seriously as I should have.

I should have said, 'If you really do want to get rid of him, I will take him.' I would have taken him. If I couldn't have had him [while I was still in the dog-free apartment], I volunteer groom for a Shih/Peke rescue, and I'm sure she would have love him, and he would've loved to tear around with the other little fuzzy dogs... And I still would have groomed him. I would have worked with him. He wasn't evil, he was a spoiled brat who knew what he could get away with and with whom. When his owner's daughter took him home with her for a week to live with her Lhasa, Samson was a good dog. He went back home and was a good dog. For a day. His owner spent hundreds on a trainer who came to her home to 'make him an angel.' But she wouldn't keep up the training. Because she was afraid of him. So he went back to his old self. With her. He had no respect for her. She didn't make him. But still, I never told her to give him to me if she meant it. Because who could put down an 18 month old Shih Tzu puppy? Shih-Poo... something...

But I was wrong. Not having seen him in a month, I called her to see about bringing him in. I was sure he was going to need a good de-matting. I was surprised he hadn't been in for his nails to be filed, at the very least. Instead, I was told 'Sammy is in doggie heaven.' Sometimes there's this weird moment where you're caught off guard and you go numb, and a bit light-headed, and I went through that... and then had to think of what to say. But she continued... 'He was just too viscous. It was getting worse and worse, and I tried, but his eyes started glazing over before he attacked me and I knew it was pure hatred.' And me... I was just sinking further down... what could I say to this old lady, who seemed so convinced she did the right thing? And that her dog, her PUPPY honestly was a viscous monster that needed to be put down? As if he had Rage or something. I said 'I'm sorry.' She said 'Me too. I hated to do it, but it had to be done. But thank you for remembering us.'

So I hung up the phone, and I sat with my face in my hands. 'She killed him,' I said out loud... not to my co-worker who was then confused, but to the air. To me. And I let it sink in. Samson, little devil Sammy, was dead. And I'm almost positive she didn't even try to find him a home. I never offered, like I sometimes thought I should... but after a year of dealing with him, she didn't ask me, either. So good bye Samson... I'm so sorry you were a vicitim of human stupidity. I hope your death isn't in vain, that she doesn't get a new puppy and corrupt it like she did you. I hope if she gets another little dog she gets a senoir dog who wants to lay in her lap and be brushed, because that's what she needs. It wasn't your fault, Sammy... I know those mats hurt you.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

Re: Samson [dog]

Amber, I felt so helpless and so sad just reading about this.. I can't imagine how you must feel. This poor dog only knew as he was taught. He deserved much more, he was young and he could be trained. Unfortunately this same story is played over and over... Without proper training, care and commitment, the animal pays the price for their caretaker's errors, and it is just not fair. You have my sympathy, Amber.
    Hugs,

Karen

Next bird-English Budgie Tailfeather Pootspete's Avatar
    Name
    Grace
    Thanks

Amber, I am so very sorry in reading your thread. My goes out to you.

Name
    Jodi
    Thanks

What a sad story. That puppy must have come from a puppy mill, been very poorly bred, or been abused a tiny puppy because most Shih Tzus are the most sweet, loving dogs. That is just heart wrenching. RIP Samson.
    RIP Kokomo...May 30th, 2009...Forever in my heart
    RIP Kiwi.........Jan. 7th, 2012....Part of our family for 9 years and so missed

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Amber
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mamajodi View Post
    What a sad story. That puppy must have come from a puppy mill, been very poorly bred, or been abused a tiny puppy because most Shih Tzus are the most sweet, loving dogs. That is just heart wrenching. RIP Samson.

As with any dog, Shih Tzus need socialization and training from the beginning. No breed of dog is annately angelic as no breed is innately viscous. I don't know where Samson came from, but pretty much every Shih Tzu puppy I've groomed over the years, and I'd guess it at several hundred, has been a fiesty, snarly, screaming little fluff ball, especially when held under the chin so I can trim in front of their eyes. They need practice with that to get them used to it, or else they will continue to fight and challenge the groomer, especially in that situation. That doesn't make them bad dogs, but they are certainly willful and tenacious. Samson was the same, but his owner was afraid to reprimand him and so he got a little ego in his fuzzy mind.

That said, Samson was not a full-blooded Shih Tzu. He had an actual muzzle, and I believe he may have been 1/4 poodle or something. Her daughter has a Lhasa-Poo that looks entirely Lhasa... as well as you can tell, as she keeps him shaved.

Anyway, I just mean to say that bad behavior is not necessarily a sign of abuse.... but I imagine he, like most dogs, was poorly bred. Quite rare to find responsible breeders breeding for the right reasons anymore. And if he was a mix of some sort, it's even more likely that he was ill-bred. But ill-bred, spoiled rotten little Samson still wasn't a bad dog and had potential to be a good dog for someone who could keep him in his place and thus take care of him properly.

Bella's Personal Maid Moulting elfhome's Avatar
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

I hate when animals suffer because of human stupidity. And if she gets another puppy? I'm glad you kept your cool; the lady was obviously convinced she had done the right thing. But I hope she does not ever get another animal if she can't handle it.

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Poor little Samson, how sad his life was cut short. I am sorry you had to see him grow up and then to have to listen to his human as she tried to say how right it was to put him to sleep. Its heart breaking how people just dont see what a pet truly is, a living breathing life that just loves us and needs us to survive.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

Remove Ads