Tailfeathers
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Yeongsu
    Thanks

Help- bruised beak?

Yesterday, I accidentally fell asleep without putting my little parrotlet girl up.. I woke up halfway through my nap because she was picking at my mouth. She actually regurgitated in my mouth right when I woke up (you know when you're half asleep and half awake?).. but luckily it was just dry pellet. Bleck. Anyway, after I awoke, I noticed that she had a horizontal line across her beak.. It looked as if she flew into one of her cage bars and the bar indented her beak somewhat.. I didn't think too much of it, as it didn't seem to bother her. Today, it looks as if it has actually bruised a dark purple. It still does not seem to be bothering her, but is there anything I can do to help her out? Her beak will heal and be normal again, right?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Re: Help- bruised beak?

I saved and enlarged your picture.It looks quite bad actually,like crushed and bruised.I would see her vet to be sure.

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Yeongsu
    Thanks

I wouldn't say it's "crushed." Just looks like there's a scratch and a bruise around it. She is still being her same silly self, eating and drinking, playing with her toys, and being active and lovable. Thanks for the input. I'll see if I can get an appointment this week.

Tailfeather Tailfeathers Supporter!Tailfeathers Supporter! Lovebirdfan's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Thanks

I'm glad she is eating, drinking, etc. Watch for any new signs of continued bruising or bleeding, as a small crack that may be difficult to see could splinter open, causing pain and possible permanent damage.

First Baby Hatched! parrotsRmyLove's Avatar
    Name
    Sue
    Thanks

What a cutie. Sorry <gag> on the reguritation thing. I know it is true love but that is gross, Ruby is constantly trying to do that with me, not my mouth though. I would jump a mile, kudos to you for not leaping off the sofa.

Keep an eye on her beek, eating is a good sign. If you see any changes that she is eating less or anything I agree with the others and see a vet ASAP.

Name
    Mary
    Thanks

She's adorable! Sorry about her beak. But if she's eating/acting normally, that's gotta be a good sign doesn't it?

I know birds hide weakness well, but I would still think/hope that if they were in pain or uncomfortable in any way, there must be SOME sign that we would see... I hope it's nothing!

I'll join Sue in gagging on the regurgitation in the mouth thing! Ewww. Glad it was only dry pellet. Guess it cou1da been much worse.

Funny what they (birds) find sexy and flirtatious, we find totally gross! Hehehe
    Mary, Cosmo, Kaylaur, Perry & Tyler, and Spaz (temporary foster). And we can't forget the furry kids Pepper & Chewy!

Chick
    Name
    Katie
    Thanks

Our lovebird had a bruise on her beak. We watched her carefully and it did heal up on its own. There is a little indentation in her beak that will be there until that part grows out, though. If your baby seems to have any trouble eating or seems listless or otherwise in pain I would go to the vet ASAP. If not - my experience was that it healed up fine on its own.