Tailfeathers
Contact | Tour
where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Thread: debating whether or not to switch female

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

debating whether or not to switch female

I am really debating whether switch my female out, and put in another. Let me tell you the whole story.This may be a long post, but here it goes.

So my budgies Bugs(male) and Echo(female) have been together since they were really young. They are both now 20 months old. I tried to breede them awhile ago, but didnt work. Some reasons were probably toys distracting them, nestbox being inside, and running from side to side rather than front to back. I did take the nestbox out for 3 weeks, then still put it back inside the cage.

On December 22(5 days ago) I switched up the cage by:taking out toys, mounting nestbox outside, and put 2 new puerches in that went from front to back. I realized that the perches I had put in were too skinny. Echo would go into the nestbox, matter of fact about 30 minutes after I changed the cage up, she went into the nestbox. I also added some aspen bedding, and Echo has been throwing some of it out, and moving it around.

When I changed the cage I noticed Bugs would do his "mating rituals" such as flying from perch to perch, then feeding Echo. But if he got too close to Echo she would kind of strike at him, to make him move back. A lot of this went on.

On December 24th, I noticed that Bugs and Echo both went into the nestbox at the same time, and stayed in there for about 1 minute. I didnt know what they were doing, and have never seen both in at the same time(maybe mating, but probably not). So when they both came out, Echo was in mating position, Bugs mounted her, but couldnt mate, because he fell of the perch to quick, this is because the perches were too skinny. When Bugs flew back up to Echo she struck at him. She does this all the time to him, ever since I changed the cage, and a little before then, and still doing it.

Yesterday, I changed the perchesin the cage they are now wider and more thick. And today I am still seeing both Bugs and Echo going into the nestbox together. Echo still strikes at Bugs if he gets too close all the time.And on top of all this, it seems Echo is going out of breeding condition.

Now I am torn. Say I keep them together, and by some chance they lay eggs, Im worried that with Echo's aggressive behavior she may attack Bugs, and may end up killing him. Or if I seperate them, lets say that Bugs and Echo were mating all along, and in the new cage with no nestbox, and no male, it can be a terrible situation. And it would take Bugs and the new hen awhile to get a new bond.

I'm thinking it would be the best if I put in a new hen, but I am just not sure.So what do you think?

Sorry for the long thread. And I really hope this makes sense to you all. Please tell me if you have any questions.

Red-tailed hawk Five Eggs Laid!
    Thanks

Re: debating whether or not to switch female

Sounds like Yellow and Cheerio, except our budgies don't have a nest box. They're always going at it, but they never hurt each other.

I don't really know much of anything about breeding, but in general, I'd say it depends on the severity of Echo's biting. Does she just give him a warning peck at his beak just to tell him to leave her alone, or does she act like she's actually going to attack? Has she ever hurt Bugs?

We keep our two budgies in the same cage, but that's because 1) Yellow is very gentle and doesn't even bite us; 2) Yellow only pecks at Cheerio when he has been acting obnoxious towards her for a while and she's telling him to back off; 3) Yellow has never picked a fight; and 4) If Cheerio keeps bugging her after a couple of warning pecks, she usually resorts to scolding him loudly - that's the only time she's loud. And quite frankly, if Cheerio were bugging me like that, I'd do the same thing! At the same time, though, it seems that they do like each other, despite not really wanting to admit it, because if you take Cheerio out of his cage, and into another room, Yellow will be wondering where he is. And she'll look relieved when you put him back in. And vice versa.

So yeah... like I said... it depends on the birds. I'd keep an eye on them, and if Echo is overly aggressive to the point that it seems she may hurt Bugs, then I'd think about separating them. If they are just bantering back and forth and she gives him a couple of pecks to tell him to stop and does not ever hurt him, I wouldn't worry about it. It depends on Echo's personality.

Also, if they get WAY out of hand with their arguing, you can separate them for a little while. That seems to work with our birds - they'll still argue back and forth afterwards, but not as bad.

So yeah... I'm rambling, and need to stop, because since I haven't bred birds, I don't really know. Yay, me.
    Last edited by RedFeather; 12-27-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

hello,
    your pair sounds exactly like mine, they have just succesfully raised 4 great babysand after a 2 week rest are at it again, ut took awhile for the boy to get the mating right and when he fell off she would peck at him just like yours does, its normal, shes real loud if he goes out when she wants him and very bossy, she was alittle mean i thought when the kids started to leave the nest but no real harm done, just watch them, its normal behavior, also have ya bred before? i would scan through old posts and the before you breed posts, make sure your ready for this, it is work, good luck, and remember you need homes for all the kids,
    juliet
    im owned by merlin,[bird protecting cattle dog],2 budgies[beaker and punkinhead],25 silky chickens and 9very funny looking mixed breed bantam chix.

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Ok so things have kind of changed, its weird how they are sometimes.Last night the female let the male mount her again, since the perches were wider he had a good chance of getting it right this time. Well he tried to get his positioning, and actually was on her back for awhile, but never achieved the correct position. He fell off and the female was tolerant and let him fly back up, and try and mount her again, but it didnt happen. And after he got of the last time, the female struck at him again.

The update today is that Ive been trying to stay out of the room as much as possible to give them some privacy. so far Ive only been in the room a couple times to get things from there. I was just in there about 5 minutes ago, and I saw my male trying to mate with my female. I didnt want to walk out really quick because it might disturb them. I stayed really still. The male didnt achieve the right position, and fell off. I walked out after that. I am happy that Ive seen them attempt to mate 2 days in a row, and who knows they could have tried this quite a few times today.

Anklebit:How long do you think it took the male to get it right? And this is my first time, but trust me Ive been planing it out for awhile. Ive done my studying,and Im ready. I have also read a lot of threads on breeding. Oh,and I have 4 homes set up so far. But I would like to keep one.
    Last edited by ttime; 12-28-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

hello,
    it was a week at least of him falling off , and as soon as he figured it out no problems , hes doing it right every time now, hehe, dont worrie hell get it remember in the wild they have others to watch, our guys have to figure it out from scratch, good luck, i kept one baby two, what a brat, haha,
    juliet
    im owned by merlin,[bird protecting cattle dog],2 budgies[beaker and punkinhead],25 silky chickens and 9very funny looking mixed breed bantam chix.

Think before typing Tailfeather
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by anklebit View Post
    hello,
    your pair sounds exactly like mine, they have just succesfully raised 4 great babysand after a 2 week rest are at it again,
    juliet
    You're letting them breed again already? That's not healthy - you should separate them to give the hen time to recooperate.

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

double clutching is normal i wouldnt let them go 3 times, always 2, they are young and in good health, if you ask moast breeders its how its usually done, they have the rest of the yr off and for these guys probably years, in the wild when food and conditions are right, moast birds do it that way, i see it all the time with my rehabing, babys late summer,
    juliet

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

spotted another attempt to mate again today. but unsuccessful. do you think the female would still lay eggs even if the male hasnt mounted her right, but has tried 4 times?

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

just give em time, hehe, they will do it right, cant wait can ya, i know how ya feel,
    juliet

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Alright, thanks. Yeah I cant wait, I need to stop being so impatient haha. Ever since I got these two, when they were 2 months old, Ive been planning on breeding them. They are now both 20 months old. By the way here are some pics of them(the last two pics were taken when they were younger, and had their wings clipped):

Name
    dayna
    Thanks

they are very cute and gorgeous!!! good luck
    Dayna's Flock

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

beautifull birds, i love the yellows and greens, it wont be long, happy new year.
    juliet

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

Thank you, happy new year to you too. Oh by the way here are some things I saw from the female today:
    As of this morning everytime I go in to check on them the female has been in the nestbox. And I dont think this is a sign that she might lay eggs, but she has been poking at her vent with her beak, and then lifts one of her feet up a little bit into her vent area. Near the vent is looking a little bigger, but that just be my eyes playing a trick on me. But I dont see any droppings that look that big. And there is a little more disturbance to the nesting material than usual, its pushed more to one of the corners.

Hatching
    Name
    juliet
    Thanks

there ya go, wont be long, thats right where my guys are now,shes in the box scratching around, im expecting an egg anytime, shes been in there 3 days now, smile for you,
    juliet

Brand New Egg
    Thanks

But the thing is her droppings dont seem to be any larger really. Its weird sometimes it seems her vent is a little bigger, but then it doesnt, its weird.

Remove Ads