where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Parrot chew toy! Maturing... 2cay2's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Question log burning stoves.....

I've just found a property that I am interested in buying. It has a log burning stove which is the only heating so would be used constantly in the winter. Are there any issues I should know about with them in connection with my two parrots? It is likely they would be housed in the same room as the stove.
    I would protect them from direct contact with it as I realise it would be hot. I am mostly concerned about possible fumes.
    Would really appreciate your thoughts on this, especially if you have one yourself
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hatched!
    Name
    Kris
    Thanks

Re: log burning stoves.....

Hmmmm never thought about this. We have a log burner in our front room and although winston is in another room (connected to it though), he seems ok

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

We had one here as our only heat and boomer lived with it all his life until we replaced it with a propane heater a few years back. The only time I ever kept boomer away from it was the first time we lit a fire in it every year because it always gave up a odor the first time, maybe dust stuck to the stuff inside of the pipe and stove or ?? I dont know if this would be a problem where you are buying but we never brought the wood inside and left it outside the door to grab because it always had creepy bugs all over in it, once when our Rottie dog was laying next to the stove to stay warm a scorpion crawled out of the logs and bit her and all she was doing was laying there! After that out went the logs and no more bugs.
    Fly Free Boomer, we will forever love you.

banned in support First Baby Hatched! shazzles's Avatar
    Name
    shaz
    Thanks

I know it is slightly different but we have a open fire and i have used it heaps in winter with our birds in the room (never out of the cages ofcourse) and we have never had a problem with it or the birds. And we kind of have to have it going as it is one of our only heating devises in our house.
    The only time i remove the birds from the room it is in is if it is smokey

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

So it's looking good! Phew

It really helps to hear your thoughts. The cottage is so beautiful, tiny, but beautiful! It has 1 acre of woodland and is on a stream. Very chocolate box! But I wouldn't persue this if the stove could harm my babies.
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Deanna, I forgot to say that luckily we don't get scary bugs in the UK, well at least not ones that can harm us! We have one poisonous snake, the adder, but even that is unlikely to harm you to badly. I doubt most people here will ever see one anyway. I guess there are some benefits to living in the UK
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

If only we didnt have those scary bugs here, then it would be perfect here. Most are gone in the winters here because it is so dang frigid here but them dang scorpions are still there and they are like devil creatures to me, YUCK! Ours are not poisenous but man do they leave a welt when they sting you.

Our house is a tiny house as well and you will love the wood heat for your hopefully new house because it will warm the entire place up. The one you are looking at sounds perfect, I love living in the woods and all the peace that comes with it.

Name
    shaz
    Thanks

Hahaha try living in australia! There are so many things that can hurt you spiders, snakes, nasty bugs, toads and the list goes on! I found out not long ago that there is a bug i am aliergic to, it stung me and my wrist swelled up for about a week and left a nasty purple patch on my arm, the same kind of bug stung james and he was just a little itchy for a hour grrrrr. I still have the mark from where it stung me!

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Shaz - hehe, that's the pay off for having such wonderful birds there!

Deanna - I have a sneeky suspision that your idea of tiny and mine are gonna be quite different Nothing to do with you personally, just Americans in general The cottage I am looking at only has one room on the ground floor (lounge, kitchen, stairs all in one) and it is smaller than 25 x 12 feet!!!! A real squash
    I might be coming back to you for tips on woodland living Do you have bears and cougars? The worst thing we have are..........errrrr........ nothing Mad squirrels maybe
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    shaz
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2cay2 View Post
    Shaz - hehe, that's the pay off for having such wonderful birds there!

Deanna - I have a sneeky suspision that your idea of tiny and mine are gonna be quite different Nothing to do with you personally, just Americans in general The cottage I am looking at only has one room on the ground floor (lounge, kitchen, stairs all in one) and it is smaller than 25 x 12 feet!!!! A real squash
    I might be coming back to you for tips on woodland living Do you have bears and cougars? The worst thing we have are..........errrrr........ nothing Mad squirrels maybe
    HAHAHAHAHA shhhhh

Tailfeather
    Thanks

Sounds lovely Linda! Will you live there year round?

Surrounded by people who love life, you love it too;
    surrounded by people who don't, you don't.
    ~Mignon McLaughlin

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by merlinsmom View Post
    Sounds lovely Linda! Will you live there year round?
    Yes I really hope this works out, but I keep thinking of other things I need to find out, like can I afford it (), does it flood? Any of these questions could put a stop on it straight away! But if it all works out it will be my home all year round
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    shaz
    Thanks

i hope it all goes well for you! It sounds like a dream place though

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

OK my tiny is a bit bigger then yours, our house is 945 sq feet, around 27 X 35 feet.

We live with coyotes, foxes, bears and cougars but dont fear them much at all, you bet we dont wander around in the evenings or early mornings without listening and looking all around but it least it is just a animal we are afraid of and not a person, humans are so much scarier then any animal. The most important thing about living out in the woods is you cannot leave small animals outside, cats and smaller dogs are bait up here, it is so sad when neighbors dont listen to the warnings and before long there cat or dog disappears. We have two big lions that roam up and down the dirt road behind us each evening, they are out neighborhood cats and trust me they are not something I would like to bump into. And I have also saw bear poop so big that my heart skips a beat thinking of what size of rear end that poop came out of...

I hope you get the house, you will love the woods.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Wow Deanna, I can't imagine how wonderful it must be living in your place! I know what you mean about the peeps being more scary than the wildlife though
    Have you got any pics you can share?
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Each and everyday we are so happy to live where we live. My house isnt that great but the surrounding area and mountains all around is what makes it the best place to live. We have blue mountain lakes, natural wild rivers on both sides of us and lots of pine forests all around.
    This is my house last year right after Christmas, it snows here but it dont get really deep and last all winter, only a few days and it melts away. The piece of plywood is our wild bird cover, we throw seed out for them so when it snows we will put a big board over the seed so that the birds can eat and not have to dig through the snow.

And this is taken from the hill next to our neighborhood, we are on top of the big hill to the right that is covered with pine and oak. Way down below our hill and the one we are standing on in the picture is a river that comes down from the peaks of our mountains, it is one of favorite summer spots down there to swim in.

I love it here and would never move away because each day we are blessed with living in what we call Paradise Country living is the best to me.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Oh, I love it! Yes, that sure looks like paradise to me
    I am not sure why but I have always really liked your style of house. We rarely get anyhting like that here
    I want to post pics of the place I am hoping to buy, but I feel like I will jinx it if I do
    I think I will have to steal your idea for giving the birds some snow free grown to feed on! Very simple, but very clever
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I feel so bad in the winters when it snows for the birds so that is why we put up the big board for them. They just love it and tons of them come to eat under the cover and it must feel good for them to eat without snow falling on them.

Its funny you like our style of houses because I love your style, all of Europe and the UK have houses that are what I say well built and much more stylish compared to our box style of wood houses which are just to ordinary to me. I really do hope you get the house, when will they let you know if they take your offer? If you get it you will have to post lots of pictures for us, I would love to see it.

Queen of her Flock Parent Sun_angel00's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Thanks

We have a pot belly stove in our living room that we use and the birds are in the same area as well. We have netting around it. Like a misquito net which hangs around it about .5a ft out on each side then the birds just fly and catch on the net... Good luck
    "I will lend to you, a Bird", God said, "and teach you all you have to do. And when I call him back to heaven, you will know he loved you too."

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Deanna - I can't make an offer until I know how much I can afford. Because of xmas I'm still waiting for them to come and value my place It could take a very long time to sell mine, so this could drag out for ages! I promise I will post pics either when it is mine or when I know for sure that it isn't! Then you will see why I want it! It is stone built and quaint so I think you will like it

Cheryl - thanks for the net idea. It sure looks like I only have to be concerned with the heat. It is a big relief to know they are ok apart from that.
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

I just knew it would be made of stone, exactly what I have always wanted here!!! Stupid wood houses anyways!!! They have houses made of river rocks higher up in the mountains and I have always dreamed of having a house made of rock because they are stronger, dont burn if a fire comes up the ravine and also they are so much warmer then wooden houses. How much does a small house like the one you are looking at cost? Just curious... our house is worth 250,000 USD but then remember we are living in California and everything here is expensive!!

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

The one I want is £135,000, but there aren't many like this one - tiny with land - most 2 bed houses around here, of average size with a little garden, are between £110,000 and £125,000 But they are not detached, those ones are more expencive again. They are all either brick or stone. Wales is cheaper than England too.
    I might have to phone the estate agents today as I am getting impatient for them to come and value mine..... they are going to learn to hate me
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Name
    Deanna
    Thanks

Linda that means your houses are about as much as they are here in California, I always wondered how much homes cost in the UK and now I know, thanks. That is not that bad of a price for a home with land, I do hope you can sell yours fast and get this nice one in the woods.

Name
    Linda
    Thanks

Prices are higher in England, but it still varies a lot there too. A two bed town house in Reading (near London) would be more like £180,000, but Wales is much nicer anyway

I got the OK on finances today, so that's another box ticked!
    Linda x

Parrot Species

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Moderator Tailfeather Community Moderator notredamebird's Avatar
    Name
    Danielle
    Thanks

Linda--best of luck with the buy!

And Deanna, I love your little place! It would be wonderful to be tucked away away from everyone like that!

Regarding the wood stove, we just moved to eastern shore maryland and one of our sources of heat is a wood stove too, so I am glad to hear that no one has had issues with them. (This is a weird house: the person who lived here before got electric heat, propane heat, a fireplace, AND a wood stove installed.)
    Atrus---Wesley---Tolkien
    Catherine---Lúthien---Elwing---Tipti