where bird lovers gather
Bird InformationMessage BoardNetwork Home

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

whats a cuttle bone made of?

i was wondering what a cuttle bone was madeof? and could you give me some good tips on budgie care thanx

Midnight Gypsy

Re: whats a cuttle bone made of?

I am not very sure, but i read somewhere it was from a fish, i could be wrong. Most budgies will shred the thing so it's useless to many, and some budgies love the thing. Personally i don't give mine a cuttle bone, they seem fine without it.

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

ok thanx!!! i was also wondering if budgies can eat people food like cereal and stuff?

XantheStar

Actually, I believe a cuttle bone is from a little squid like creature.... But it doesn't matter

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

thanx! um does anyone know if its really true that male birds talk better because some books say there is no difference i think ill get a male anyways though because i hear there less aggresive

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

yep, males are more likely to talk than females, just like in tiels. and definatly, females are more aggressive than males! female budgies tend to be little bitc*s! lol. the males are much better pets generaly. of course females are awsome too...... but in a different way!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

do ur budgie eat cereal and stuff. also do u allow them to eat what you are eating (ex: For lunch do u let it fly over and have a bite of your yummy sandwich)?

I shouldn't let Dan change my title...he's not very creative Found a Mate flyingduster's Avatar
    Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

nope, and nope! people food is generaly not good for any bird! and my budgies have their wings clipped, so they can't just fly over and have a nibble!
    some foods are ok, and they'll definatly get a bit then, but some aren't! bread goes down well! also, i wouldn't let it take a bite of my yummy sandwich as we have way to many nasty bacteria in our mouths that can cause big probs in little birdies. they get a crust handed to them, but they're not allowed to take a bite of my sandwich...... no butter or any spread on it, most aren't good for them. brown bread is better than white. toast goes down well (crunchy!)
    but generaly, most people food is way too full of sugar and junk and is bad for any bird. they're the same as tiels, as far as i know, if it's safe for tiels, it's ok for your budgie too. if in doubt, don't try it. and with any human food, only a little at once!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

i see. umm can they eat cereals without sugar like cheerios or that health stuff like oat bran???

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

well i know it's ok for tiels in small ammounts, so i'd say it'd be ok for budgies in small ammounts!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

So many questions!!!!

do u let your budgies go free in your house???? i know that my budgie will never be allowed out at mealtime but do just leave the cage open in the day time or do u like give them a rest time to relax in their cage?

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

Re: So many questions!!!!

no way are they allowed anywhere in the house! i live with a 7 year old and a 5 year old, i couldn't trust them to not open a door/window etc. plus the fact we have 2 cats (one of which has already killed 4 pet birds) and 3 dogs (who'd love to try a little birdie for tea) and a rat (who's already tryed).......
    they aren't even allowed free range in my room! they are housed in my bedroom (only cat free room!) and let out ONLY WHEN I'M THERE TO WATCH! i have my rat in my room, and though securly caged, i'm not risking them getting to his cage.... i know rats who've killed tiels and budgies! also, no matter how hard i try to 'bird proof' my room, i can't totaly, and there' so much that could go wrong. i never let my birds out un supervised! anyway, my budgies usualy aren't out long before going back to their cage and staying put!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

thats so sad about the four birds . i hope im not askin to many questions but i would hate not knowing something important about budgies and then gettin him sick. when i get the budgie i think he wont have any dangers to beware of my dog is great with samll animals she loved my pet guinea pigs. my earliest one she would even lick like a puppy it was so cute

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

ask as many questions as you like! we need lots of questions, coz the budgie forums so far are rather empty!
    ohhhhhh, but don't EVER leave your budgie and dog together, even if they seem fine! even if the dog never means to do harm, it could so easily hurt it, or the budgie could just as easily hurt the do, they have incredibly strong beaks!
    and i bet i could find a ton of theings your budgie's have to be wary of. windows and doors, power cords, anything in the kitchen almost, fires, loads! best to keep them to one room!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

ok i mpromise not to leave them alone!! my dog will probably be scared of him anyways! where did u get your birds?

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

i'm glad ya won't leave them together! it's just safer....
    anyway, i got my first budgie from a really crappy pet shop, and i wish i hadn't now, but i was about 10 and didn't know any better..... so i got an adult, grumpy, very un tame, female with a problem with her cere........ i got my new budgie from an awsome pet shop (i worked there for a month, so i KNOW what sort of treatment the animals get!) and she's young, very pretty, healthy (the pet shop is owned by a vet clinic, all animals are checked before being put up for sale), and taming nicely.
    if there's no good pet shops, try find a breeder. don't go for the crappy pet shop, ya'll be really likely to be dissapointed like i was...... also, it's just helping bad pet stores stay in buisness if ya buy their animals, even out of pity, it's still money for them!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

im getting my budgie from a pet shop call "Primarily Pets" they hand tame some budgies and they arent crappy like some pet shops. the lady there was really helpful and all the cages were very clean. the animals looked healthy and happy. the pet shop is in Niagara Falls

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

i'm glad it's a good pet shop! good luck on getting a nice budgie!!!

FD

Brand New Egg
    Name
    Katelynn
    Thanks

thanx!!!! when im picking out my budgie should it be very active or a bit more "unhyper" if i picked out a really hyper one would it be annoying like it would fly in your hair and bite you alot?

Name
    you can call me FD
    Thanks

pick a healthy one! if it's sitting on the perch, and fluffed up, don't pick it, pick the one that hopes about and preens and is clean. as for hyper, well they're all hyper! LOL, ok, so maybe not all of them, but i bet ya that a 'not so hyper' one in the pet shop will be hyper once he settles into his new home still! hyper doesn't mean it'll bite or fly into your hair!

FD

mikenco

Just out of interest, the cuttle fish is actually from a cuttle fish... try a search from yahoo for 'cuttle fish' of check this address below...

www.paragonseafoods.com/para_prod1.htm

l8or g8or

desert penguin1337

Re: cuttle bone

I know the conversation has gotten way off this, but yes, there is such a thing as a cuttlefish, it looks kinda like a fat squid flatter on one side, if I remember correctly.

Name
    Corry
    Thanks

cuttlefish

Name
    cari
    Thanks

this is a cuttlefish:

"Cuttlefish are not actually fish, but molluscs and are therefore actually related to sea slugs and snails. They come from the same family as octopus and squid and like them they do not have a backbone. Instead they have a cuttle bone that is used to aid their buoyancy (this is the white bone often found washed up on beaches).

Cuttlefish use two long tentacles that can shoot out to over a foot to catch their prey. They also have an ingenious method of propulsion - they use jets of water which they direct from a special opening near the head.

The most striking feature of the cuttlefish is their ability to change their skin colour and texture, which they use to communicate. Researchers have identified 50 or so different cuttlefish words. This ability to change their skin colour, thier intelligence and their jet propulsion make them a truly remarkable animal."

i have tried searches to find out if they are hunted live for the bone or if they are harvested post death from beaches. i found nothing, but hope it is the latter.